• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Own Personal Rant

I have had a heart murmur since I was born.  As I understand it, there are two types: one that can kill you, and the other is fairly useless as far as murmurs go.  Anyway, in every exam since I joined the army, they exclaim "OHMYGOD!  YOU HAVE A HEART MURMUR!"  Once, I even went in for an EKG.  That was less than 10 years ago.  When they check back in the file, they see the old notes, but still check "just in case". 

Anyway, I have to get going.  I have a bit of chest pains here  >:D

Technoviking said:
I have had a heart murmur since I was born.  As I understand it, there are two types: one that can kill you, and the other is fairly useless as far as murmurs go.  Anyway, in every exam since I joined the army, they exclaim "OHMYGOD!  YOU HAVE A HEART MURMUR!"  Once, I even went in for an EKG.  That was less than 10 years ago.  When they check back in the file, they see the old notes, but still check "just in case". 

Anyway, I have to get going.  I have a bit of chest pains here  >:D

LOL. Let me tell you, as a "just in case" --- I'll be damned shocked (so will they) and will make the history books if my malleaus, incus and bits of mastoid process just happen to grow back.

It's probably of little consolation, but in my 20+ years working in the civilian world, things aren't that much different on the 'other side of the fence'. For many it seems, just because they have a pulse, they feel justified in their sense of entitlement. As you mentioned, work ethic and attention to detail seem to be less important then personal gratification. People seem to think that showing up for work is all thats really needed to qualify for that next pay raise or promotion. It has frustrated the he!! out of me on more than one occasion.  :mad: .  To make matters worse, I have often seen sweet-talking, back-stabbing, kissing a@@ and towing-the-line being rewarded more than hard work, skill, dedication and quality.  :rage: Getting something for nothing and 'sticking-it-to-the-man' seem to be viewed as desireable traits these days.

I'll probably get flak on this one... here's my  :2c: for what its worth. I think a lot has to do with the Baby Boomers. Many of that generation started off with very little, for instance my parents were both born into homes that lacked electricity and running water. The standard of living rose dramaticly for the Boomers. I would say there are very few people in this country today who lack those sort of basic amenities. I'm not saying they didn't work hard, but they received and continue to receive a quality of life disproportionate to the effort put in. Generations to come will have to bear the artificial economy that they created and was never really sustainable.

The problem is, the children of Boomers, (like myself), really had it very easy. Regardless of skill, or work ethic, subsequent generations expect that same quality of life, and the reality is, it has been created with borrowed money, and is slowly slipping away.

I always try to remember some things my mother told me (rest her soul  :yellow:) "Don't measure yourself with someone else's yardstick" and "Wealth without work is a sin".

ToolMaker said:
The problem is, the children of Boomers, (like myself), really had it very easy. Regardless of skill, or work ethic, subsequent generations expect that same quality of life, and the reality is, it has been created with borrowed money, and is slowly slipping away.

Exactly!  The problem is with the children of the Boomers.  The Boomers grew up with parents who had to work hard, and provide for their families.  The Boomers in turn said "My kids aren't going to go through this." and so they gave their kids everything (some parents more than others).  Now several Generations later, we have a generation or two who feel that they can live a life of privilege and not put any effort into anything, that cheating in school and on the job is the norm, etc.  What we need is a War or another Great Depression, or both to wake everyone up.  >:D

Next!

I do agree George. It is a bit of 'the chicken and the egg'. I compare it to the 16year old who gets a car for his birthday, and promptly 'frys' the tires and wraps it around a telephone pole. He didn't put blood sweat and tears into that car and so cannot understand its true value.

What the boomers tried to do was noble. It is a sad statement on the human condition, that rather than value the gifts given to us, it only spoils us and makes us want more.  :(

ToolMaker said:
What the boomers tried to do was noble. It is a sad statement on the human condition, that rather than value the gifts given to us, it only spoils us and makes us want more.  :(

You speak of us in the past tense?  ;D
Shall we go down in history as "The Noblest Generation"?  ;D

Mariomike, I'm not sure why you deleted your first reply, I was not offended.

Other than the fact that more Boomers vote than any other age group, I think the main influences Boomers have on society and popculture is fading fast. That's the reason for the past tense.
'The Noblest' might be a bit of a stretch.  ;D. The Biggest Consumers might be a bit more appropriate.  :blotto:

Side note, I was checking out your links.....Does anyone tell you that you look just like Nicholas Cage? ;D

ToolMaker said:
I do agree George. It is a bit of 'the chicken and the egg'. I compare it to the 16year old who gets a car for his birthday, and promptly 'frys' the tires and wraps it around a telephone pole. He didn't put blood sweat and tears into that car and so cannot understand its true value.

You mean guys get cars at 16? geese, all I got was a day at the local paintball field for my 16th birthday, and that was only three years ago. I know i'm a GenY kid, but I do honestly try to at least put effort into earning what I get. Not trying to step on any toes of my elders here. Not intentionally, anyways.

Meh.

I am still amazed by the outstanding quality of the young folks who join the forces.  There are generational differences, but at the end of the day people are people.  I think that there is a bell curve, and once we reach middle age we notice the bad in the generation below us and the great in the generation ahead of us while ignoring the similarities that cut across generational lines.

ToolMaker said:
Mariomike, I'm not sure why you deleted your first reply, I was not offended.

Other than the fact that more Boomers vote than any other age group, I think the main influences Boomers have on society and popculture is fading fast. That's the reason for the past tense.
'The Noblest' might be a bit of a stretch.  ;D. The Biggest Consumers might be a bit more appropriate.  :blotto:

I was concerned that you might be, Toolmaker. When it comes to mothers, my opinions may seem old-fashioned to some. So I deleted it.

Regarding Baby Boomers, I attended a Pioneer luncheon recently where I used to work. It was pointed out to us by a Chief, that as the Boomers age, their demand for health care is increasing.
"Simultaneously, all of those 'boomers' employed by the service in the early 1970's are reaching the end of their careers and retiring. Since subsequent generations are typically much smaller, the service is experiencing difficulty in recruiting suitably trained replacement staff, just as demand for service is increasing."

Duke Lantoran said:
You mean guys get cars at 16? geese, all I got was a day at the local paintball field for my 16th birthday, and that was only three years ago. I know i'm a GenY kid, but I do honestly try to at least put effort into earning what I get. Not trying to step on any toes of my elders here. Not intentionally, anyways.

Car? 16? I don't know where you got that idea.  My Dad was in the RCAF and when he 'upgrade' while I was in my third year of university, I bought his old one on a 'lay away plan'.  Even a day at paintball would have been a luxury.  I had to get up an hour before going to bed to deliver flyers so I could afford to go to the movies once a month.  ;D

Movies??  Hell I was up 3 hours prior just so I could have a piece of bread to eat.

My son got a car for his 16th - just cant drive it as he doesnt have a drivers permit, insurance or a job.  For some strange reason despite me telling him over and over again otherwise he thought I was going to teach him to drive without him putting in any effort and pay for his insurance.  I told him  to read the book as he had to get his beginners (or whatever they call it now) and he has done nothing. I also told him to get a job as he had to pay for his own insurance that would be a few thousand a year. For some strange reason just because someone he knows gets pampered by his parents he thinks all of a sudden we are going to do the same to him.  After 16 years you would think he would know better.

This seems like a good place for us "old farts" to spiel off...so I leave this post so I can read the whole bit later and keep up to date on it...

As I gain time and experience in the military, I find myself less tolerant of incompetence, idiocy and general bullpoop.
:piper:

You're almost ready to be DS here, then.

George Wallace said:
Don't we have to do up Weekly Assessments?

It will kill you to hear this, but in Gagetown weekly assessments aren't even done anymore.

Yes, really.

What is placed in Crse files to justify poor or good performance of crse pers?  No wonder it is next to impossible to fail people.  The documentation is not being done.

Heck we do it here on the site weekly.  Then we have Quarterly PDRs done up on all the membership.  Those who don't cut the mustard, get bumped up the Warning System as Administrative Burdens.  Then the Sgt Maj marches them all off the Ramp, no Green Light, no chutes.  Do you need to buy any headdress?  We have a sale biannually.

Back