• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Musicians in Reserves

NDC

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering trying to join as a Musician (I went to school for it/my main career choice) but I was considering attempting one or two years as a Reserve, so I can work my butt off abit more to get in top shape, do abit of local shows and just overall prepare myself before attempting to join the Reg forces.

I was wondering, any Musicians in the reserves care to comment/give me some info? How is your experience for the reserves as a Musician? How does it generally work, Like do you just play 1-2 shows a month, then work a temporary job when theres no music stuff to do? Are those temp jobs supplied for you?

I tried contacting many departments on the phone, such as the main music department, they told me to call the reserve centers, who then told me to call the recruitement centers, which told me to call back to reserve centers.. Its very hard to find info on musician jobs in the military Im finding =[

Musicians are the `weird harolds`of the military, so it is more difficult to get information.  My knowledge is all second-hand, so take it with a grain of salt.

Most military bands rehearse regularly, and perform at parades, dinners, ceremonies as required.  Rehearsal time is paid, as are perforamnces.  There is also the military aspect, where certain training is required as well.

Depending where you are will determine the types of band (brass and reed or pipe and drum) that are in your area.

The recruiting website should have more information on military musicians, but note that Reserve musicians are not identical to the Regular Force; for example, Regular Force musicians are (almost) immediately promoted t othe rank of Sgt; that is not the case in the Reserves.

Not all units have a formal military band. Check this site and contact the band nearest to your location for many of the answers to your questions. As with most things, there is no harm in asking questions.

I tried contacting places on that page, but I didnt get much info, the DHH music department receptionist girl couldnt answer any questions about the music program almost at all unfortunately, was slightly dissapointing.

Anyone else have experience as a Musician and care to share your experiences?

www.5fieldband.ca

This is for the 5th Field Artillery Band in Victoria.  If you look at the Recruiting FAQ under "Joining the Band" you can get some answers.  Also if you Google the band you are interested in, many of them have a website.

Best of luck, from what I hear, being a musician (espescially in the Reg Force) is the gig of a lifetime should you be accepted, which is (also from what I hear), very hard to do on the Regular side.

I looked into this as well, and played as a civilian augmentee with several regiment bands.

Reg bands (there are only a few) are extremely hard to get in to. From what I've been told, pretty much the only way to get in to one is to first get in to a reserve band, wait for an opening, and then audition for it.

Reserve bands are auditioned. However, some are easier to get in to then others. I know that 15th field out of Vancouver is quite hard to get in to. I don't know if there has to be an opening to audition.  You said that you have education in music, which is good, because many of the members have Degrees or other education in music. Officers don't play - only NCMs.

Instrument choice is another matter as well - as a trumpet player (that's what I play) or a flute player etc. it would be even harder to get in because there are so many of us.

As I said, I'm not actually in (I just looked at applying as a musician, figured out I probably wasn't good enough, and then applied as another trade) but looked at it and played with many professional military musicians. Your best bet is to call up your local reserve band and talk to someone there. Not all regiment bands are reserve bands though.

Playing with the bands was something else though. There is nothing quite as moving like playing remembrance day, or nothing as fun as doing parades for 50,000 people.

I know a bit about it being that my father was a reg force musician for 25 years and I am a member of a CF volunteer band. There are 5 CF volunteer bands located in Cold Lake, Greenwood, North Bay, Trenton, and Borden. These are run by a full time reg Musician and are comprised of military of all trades as well as civilians. They are very much active bands and are often located in areas where there is no reserve or reg band in close proximity. They require no audition and are excellent opportunities for you to start getting used to the type of music that you could play in a reg force band. Some of them are just as good as the reserve bands. The reg force bandmaster running them would have a lot of information about the audition process and likely would have contacts and a wealth of info to give you. They likely would be a good judge (as would a reserve band conductor) if you should just do a reg audition and not bother with reserve time. If you are in one of the 5 locations above you should definitely go talk to them.
        The auditions as far as I know are blind auditions where they do not know your name or if your background is school of hard knocks or uni degree. I have heard they sometimes request an audiotape of you playing beforehand if they have a lot of applicants. Keep in mind a degree does not always make a good musician and so you have just a good chance as the next guy who does have one.
        Go for it! My father loved the job and contrary to some people's opinions I think it still has a place in the CF (although my dad is surprised it did not become a sole reserve trade years ago) When he joined they had a school in Victoria where they would teach you everything from scratch. Not that way anymore unfortunately but if it still was I would remuster in a heartbeat. I know in my location even though we are volunteers the band is appreciated at every parade and mess dinner. Even though we have been the instigators of some questionable behaviour. (Started playing "The Stripper" and did not get very far before we were told to stop. You can guess why) And RCAF Marchpast just does not sound  as good over a crappy PA system. Best of luck.

Where are you located and what do you play?

You'll probably have more luck getting an answer from reservists if that info's available. While most of us aren't musicians, many of us will at least have some familiarity with our regiment's band. If you tell us "Hey, I live in Ft. Francis and play the Kazoo", someone may well come along and tell you, "Well, I'm in the Ft. Francis Foreskin Fusiliers, and we have a kazoo and accordion band. Here's a number to call." Alternatively, you might be told "The only regiment Ft. Francis has is the Queen's Own McKamikaze Highlanders. Unless you play a drum or bagpipes you're screwed." Get what I'm saying?

CDNAIRFORCE said:
    There are 5 CF volunteer bands located in Cold Lake, Greenwood, North Bay, Trenton, and Borden.

As well as the Band of the Royal Military College in Kingston.  Also, if you just want to play for fun, most reserve bands allow "associate members".  The 5th Field, for example, has a few reg force members of other trades as well as a handful of CIC Band Officers from local units.  Usually before getting signed on to to a reserve band (at least in the case of the 5th Field) you have to play with them as an associate member for a few rehearsals so they can assess your level.

HMCS York (Toronto) and HMCS Star (Hamilton), Naval Reserve Divisions also have authorized bands. Contact the unit's directly and ask for the band master or the unit recruiter.

im in the maritimes, hoping to get into something in Halifax if possible (for reserve).

I play guitar primarily, but also am decent on electric bass and Alto Saxophone. I have a diploma in Music Arts. Lots of work to do but I feel confident enough for a reserve band, my sightreading is above average for most guitarists.

One question I did have, when looking at most bands they say either "Pipes/drums" or "Brass/reed".. So are these bands ONLY those things? Like no guitar/bass/etc? It seems all reserve bands listed on the website is one of those. Not that I am complaining, cause I do play reed instruments, and I would love to play reed or brass for marching/etc type stuff, but I am just wondering, if guitar/bass is even in reserve bands.

Brass /reeds do have bass/guitar/drums/piano. Obviously you can not with march with a bass guitar so ability on a second instrument(s) is an asset. I would say it is likely that 95% reserve bands have these instruments because they often play "sitting-down" concerts and mess dinners where these instruments are primarily used.

Also many bands will have small groups within the band such as a jazz quartet or mess dinner band.  (The professional "reg force" band at the US Naval Academy even has a rock band).

Back