• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP's Hated By Everybody???

canadianblue

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I was on a law enforcement forum the other day, and asked a question about the MP Trade. In it, most of the responses I got was that if you go in as an MP then pretty well everybody in the army hates you, no matter what. My question is how do most military personal view the MP's as I would really like to get into a law enforcement occupation. Even though I know I won't necessarily get respect as an MP, I'd be interested to hear why so many people dislike the MP's. Plus I think it would be great to get into a law enforcement career which to myself is a good career to get into, as well as have the honour of serving in the Canadian Forces.

I can't comment on the Army side of the house, but as for the Halifax area, the MP's do not have a bad wrap. That being said, there are a couple of individuals within the trade that try and play the role of "Supreme Allied Commander" and its those individuals need sorting out. Those type of individuals are also present in just about all the trades though.

I'll say one thing though, hearing a MP yap off about how they can arrest you for this, that and the other thing when you are there to do a job for them is not on. It's like hearing a chiwawa barking constantly, all you want to do it punt it like a soccer ball.

Act professional in the first place and it will be reciprocated.

Alright, I'll admit it, I've had a run-in or two with the MPs.  To be honest, most of them are no different then any average member of any other trade.  Everybody thinks their trade is the best, and many people think they are the best at their trade... it's up to you to figure out if they're full of it or not.

As for my aforementioned "run-ins" - anytime I went away with an unfavourable opinion of the MPs, it's because I had sh*t the bed, and therefore was forcing them to do their job. 

It's gotta be hard enough to be a cop most days... but imagine being a cop in an institution/society that has a predominantly aggressive, alpha-male population, with access to, and thorough knowledge of various weapons. 

It's pretty impressive that we can still jokingly refer to them as traffic cones...

To my MP friends and antagonists... my thanks and apologies.

I am in the Halifax area as well and so far I have had good experiences with MPs

In my experience, and it is by no means current, the members of the Canadian Provost Corps were respected for doing their job professionally. For whatever it is worth, these soldiers did not wear weapons, body armour or any civilian police gear including badges on duty.

They also went through a brutal regime in recruit training and their initial trades training to make them aware of what it was like to be bullied. The corps worked on the motto "Discipline by example." Having said that, they had their share of jerks, as did every other branch in the army.

I can testify from first hand knowledge - I was the regimental orderly officer when a potentially serious incident went down - that the army MP world could on occasion bend the rules in the name of solving the problem in a fair and equitable manner. 

Futuretrooper said:
I was on a law enforcement forum the other day, and asked a question about the MP Trade. In it, most of the responses I got was that if you go in as an MP then pretty well everybody in the army hates you, no matter what. My question is how do most military personal view the MP's as I would really like to get into a law enforcement occupation. Even though I know I won't necessarily get respect as an MP, I'd be interested to hear why so many people dislike the MP's. Plus I think it would be great to get into a law enforcement career which to myself is a good career to get into, as well as have the honour of serving in the Canadian Forces.

If you are thinking of entering law enforcement in general, then be prepared to be disrespected period!  It's not a popularity contest.  A person who has gotten into trouble with the law will exaggerate things after being arrested or ticketed so they can attempt to make the cop look bad and at fault when in reality the person charged is trying to deflect the negative attention away from themselves and not accept responsibility for their actions. In civilian land, I have arrested people for various offences, who in turn threatened to kill me and my family, spit on me, assault me and call me every name under the sun...How to handle it?    I look at it as they don't know me or I don't know them, so they can insult me up and down and I couldn't be bothered the slightest.  It might require me saying something, the situation may not, but when you are in such a situation always remember to maintain your composure and remain professional.  You won't have anything to lose if you always act professionally.  Don't worry about what others think about the law enforcement profession, they're just jealous  ;D    surely I jest,  ;)

On my BMQ, there was a guy who was to become an MP.  That guy was the biggest individualist asshole ive ever met.  He had this "my dad is cop, and im going to be an MP and bust you all" kind of attitude.   Everyone in the platoon hated him, and during the night nav he had change from section to section because otherwise he would have gotten killed (and im pretty sure everyone, even the staff, would have agreed that it was an accident).

But Im not saying all MPs are like that of course

I realize that if I get into Law Enforcement I'm gonna get attacked alot. But I want to get into it to help people, thats my main reason and I want to arrest and stop those who take advantage of others.

On my BMQ, there was a guy who was to become an MP.  That guy was the biggest individualist ******* ive ever met.  He had this "my dad is cop, and im going to be an MP and bust you all" kind of attitude.  Everyone in the platoon hated him, and during the night nav he had change from section to section because otherwise he would have gotten killed (and im pretty sure everyone, even the staff, would have agreed that it was an accident).

But Im not saying all MPs are like that of course

If somebody brags about how their going to bust people who haven't done anything yet, then I don't think they should become an MP. I'm going into the reserves, and if I get into BMQ, I will not brag about someday becoming a reg force MP, and busting everybody I'm working with. I'll just see myself as an equal to any other member of the forces. Thats the way I look at it atleast.

You sound like you have  agood attitude already. That's great. MPs have gotten a bad rap in the past especially because then a lot of MPs were remustered from Infantry or other combat arms trades. The rest of the CF doesn't think 031 and such are brain surgeons to start with so.... now you have them stopping you for a seatbelt infraction and it makes you mad. Plus that's all you see them do, catch people for stupid shit. So they get a bad rep as being a bunch of jerks trying to piss everyone off. There are some who revel in it I am sure.
But most guys are great people and do a great job. The big thing is the training has improved a lot and people know that and respect it much more. The best thing to have going for you years ago was being 6ft 6 tall and named Mongo.  ;D  he he ..you still won't be in everyones good books but to the ones that count and know you are doing your job, you will have friends in them.
Go for it and have fun..
Andrew 227

Futuretrooper said:

They have soft hands and helped me get ready for parade one day instead of charging me. I like the MP's. Not like the bastards in the OPP LOL....

Futuretrooper, you were correct in saying making an arrest just for shits and giggles is wrong....being a police officer is about serving your community and not just about making an arrest or ticketing just for the heck of it....i hope you do join for the right reasons, and i'm glad to see that you seem to have some insight into what a portion of the job consists of.  Your young yet, so don't rush anything, gain some life experience and get some more education.  If this is what you want then you will get it. It's the best dang career you can get into, so enjoy!!  (catching bad guys is fun too)  :D

Best of luck.

MILPO

ahhh the blade trade.... jokes...

Mps are good guys hard working. Cant say a mean thing about em cause i haven't ever had a problem with em!

From my personal experience, I've never had a bad run in with the MPs... and I've had more so far in my career then most people have (Admitedly, I've never been guilty of anything, and indeed, only one of those run-ins was I suspected of even potentially being guilty of somthing... mostly accident reports, but that's beside the point). I certainly don't hate the MPs, all the MPs I've run into were quite good about their jobs. One or two over-zealous types, but you'll find those anywhere.

I think if anything, for most troops, the distaste towards the MPs isn't towards the individuals, so much as generally, when the MPs show up, there's somthing wrong.

One of the ways I've heard it put.. is all the trades work with one another for a common goal.
So, the soldiers job is to be a soldier.  But the MP's job is to bust the soldier. 

Alas.. do I agree.

I did some ride alongs with the MP's.  The Kingston MP's...  are good to go.

As for my opening statement, i disagree with it although I hear it said often.
I'm glad they're patrolling the base and Q's at night to make it safe for me. 

In any trade you get a yahoo.  I have a friend in the RCMP who says they have
the occasional idiot that gets through training and is on the street being a dick.

So... MP's definately need more respect. 

I haven't had too many bad experiences with MPs. A few with massive chips on shoulders, but not all.

That being said, the gucci new kit/trg - black uniforms, OPP-style shoulder patches, Police College, has made them into mPs, rather than the Mps they should be.

The new red-hats think TCPs are beneath them, though they are probably the single most important MP wartime task.

Acorn

Trinity said:
I have a friend in the RCMP who says they have
the occasional idiot that gets through training and is on the street being a dick.

Can you say that word, carefull or the mps may arrest you  ;D I had a friend who was an MP and he was about the coolest guy you'd ever want to meet. He had it all, athletic, good looks, great attitude, he's in the OPP now and is the crime scene diver and he married a model, come to think that guy sucks (Ryhno kicks rocks in disgust) Stupid Mp's always getting what they want  ;D Nah there just guys doing jobs, what you do have to remember is that the military in general including mp's are filled with assertive, adrenalin junkies and there are always jerks out there.

I remember one Friday night while leaving CFB ValCartier, I was with a buddy heading back to Montreal for the weekend when an MP pulled us over because he had a cracked tail light.

He got my buddies licence and registration, and sat in his cruiser for nearly 45 minutes.  I don't know what the heck he was doing, but it was a big waste of time for nothing.

He told my buddy if he came back Sunday night and it was still cracked, he was going to give him a ticket and ban his vehicle from the base.

Thats about the only run in I had with MP's....

i got pulled over in gagetown a few years back for doing a few kms over the limit.  It was my birthday to boot.  To the MP's credit he was patient with me.  I rolled down my window and he ( for some odd reason) asked " how are you today sir ?", to which i inexplicably replied " i was doing just fine til i f*****g met you !"

My point is, like others said, there are idiots in every trade.

Some of those MPs have alot of patience and professionalism when it comes to encounters with asshole like me  ;D

I've seen both the good and the bad -- although more of the good.  Nothing better than getting a ride back to the base after a night at the clubs and it's cold and raining (a ride was offered, I was not "picked up").  Although those back seats are pretty cramped.

The "Bird Man" at one of the bases I was posted at had troubles with them when they said he could not drive with his bird on his arm (which he does so he can release the bird on the fly so to speak).  He told them that they better stop everyone with a smoke/phone/timmies/etc in their hand first before they even thought of keeping him from doing his job.

We've also had guys at the unit get pulled over after leaving work at 0200 (after a night shift) just because the MP wanted to know what they were doing out so late.  Tended to be the new MPs just poseted in though and getting the feel for the base.

MPs remind me of that wonderful saying -- When I do good, no one remembers.  When I do bad, no one forgets.

Acorn said:
That being said, the gucci new kit/trg - black uniforms, OPP-style shoulder patches, Police College, has made them into mPs, rather than the Mps they should be.

Interesting, this was my point in this idea.  What do you think about it?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/29313.0.html

Back