• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP Ride Along

LunchMeat said:
Yes, but then again there's always been difficulty filling positions on CP, TASO, etc. Because of the requirements, CP is extremely physically demanding and it requires a lot of mental fortitude. Gone are the days of just being fit, you have to be fit and smart. Now that a lot of those specialty areas are MP exclusive it has reduced our ability to fill positions further, but those that were already qualified CP but were non-MP were allowed to stay and many were seconded to our regiments... Eventually they will rebadge.

You'd be surprised about the hate part. It's pretty widespread... And most of it is from instructors on junior level courses airing their old dirty laundry onto new recruits that have never even met an MP yet. Our relations with other branches and trades is improving slowly, but there's still a lot of work to do; part of that was the revamping of the MP training program and recruits screening not too long ago. People that are unable to use good judgement, abuse their positions and authority, and have bad attitudes don't last long in the MP trade anymore.

One day we will get where we want to be

I heard the physical fitness was an issue with the CP too. It's unfortunate the MPs clawed back the CP positions (embassy security might be neat too) but I'm thinking maybe with all the tours supposedly coming up the MPs will have to open up the CP trade to combat arms again.

There's been a few threads/debates here on some of the issues that arise with MPs, yours was one of them as I recall (airing dirty laundry). Definitely an us vs them mentality at the school in Borden too.  It's genuinely good if you think the working relationship/attitude with other units is improving, you guys shouldn't feel like everyone is against you.  Except for the amount of shooting you get to do, you deserve grief for that. And the spec pay and the cool courses  ;)

Habs said:
(The course is not 6 months anymore, your information is out of date, which further proves my point) And your assumptions of my career/service/that I have "barely" done anything based solely upon my online footprint (which is minuscule, especially on this forum) is where you stepped on toes. How ignorant/hypocritical can you be? I can't bring myself to your level of pretentiousness, but it would be no different if I looked at some of your posts and told you that you are a 2-3 year RCMP Cst and how much could you have really done? I mean jeez man, you're not even first class yet are you? (And before you jump on the chance of my ignorance - that's the point. It's a reflection of yourself) 

While I appreciate you backpeddling and trying to save face, the fact remains you are speaking pretty boldly about something you have never had any first hand experience with, besides "a month and a half of ride alongs more than a decade ago".  (And I think you and I both know ride alongs don't show much. You said yourself that police are limiting to what ride alongs are exposed to). Saying "For the love of God no", and proceeding to say how incredibly boring the MP is, certainly is slagging, and certainly is going to deter people.

I'll go ahead and offer my own particular observations and knowledge of the RCMP from some limited exposure, speaking with Mounties on a number of occasions and seeing them work whenever someone asks me about going on a ride along with the RCMP, fair? But you can't really say anything when I do so, because that's exactly what you did.

We get enough people telling us how shitty we are, we don't need it from an ex CAF member and a fellow cop as well, especially in an area where people are expressing interest in joining.

Some fair points made. I was an ass, and I had no reason to be. I'll take this opportunity to offer you my apology. I could have expressed my opinions and experiences in a much more useful and respectful way than I did. I am sorry.

Brihard said:
Some fair points made. I was an ***, and I had no reason to be. I'll take this opportunity to offer you my apology. I could have expressed my opinions and experiences in a much more useful and respectful way than I did. I am sorry.

No worries man, I wasn't exactly cool about it all either. Hopefully we can all move on from this and let this thread get back on tracks.

Stay safe brother!

Habs said:
I wasn't exactly cool about it all either.

I was a dick too,  thought your initial posts came off condescending.  Probably read too much into it.

Habs said:
No worries man, I wasn't exactly cool about it all either. Hopefully we can all move on from this and let this thread get back on tracks.

Stay safe brother!

You too man. Cheers.

Habs said:
Hopefully we can all move on from this and let this thread get back on tracks.

The OP asks,

eitan67 said:
to get a ride along with Military Police personal in order to get the feel and more understanding of what the job is like

eitan67 said:
if you experienced a ride along before you even applied to the Forces.

eitan67 said:
I believe that the ride along would be some sort of educational,

The OP may, or may not,  find this of interest,

ditchpig041 said:
I am an MP, and I can give a rough idea without getting too specific.

Here in a detachment located roughly mid-island, we have anywhere between 2 and 4 people on shift at any given time, and it is quite slow.  Not gonna lie.  Our majority is traffic.  That being said, our traffic patrol area is very small, and is located on both sides of a public road, on which we cannot enforce laws. 

We average between 3-5 traffic stops per shift (between all members) for speeding, no insurance, blown stop signs etc.  There have been a very small number of arrests since being here, and after 4ish in the evening, it is a ghost town.

He may, but if you want an accurate picture, you'd have to have a first hand opinion such as the one you posted from all the bases/wings across Canada (and operationally) as opposed to one small detachment in Comox, which is a base known for being slower.

It is no different than comparing the Surrey RCMP detachment with one in an isolated, rural setting.

But yes, as this thread has beaten to death and has come up yet again, the MP is not a typical police force, our mandate while similar is also different, and you can expect our policing job to be slower. Which is why going on a ride along may prove to be more beneficial than that of random anonymous internet users' opinions.

Habs said:
you can expect our policing job to be slower.

Sounds like it,

Brihard said:
I did a 20x12 hour shift co-op placement witht he MPs from CFB Kingston some years back. In the whole 20 shifts there were about a half dozen calls, and I'm not exaggerating. A single drunk driver, a speeding ticket, a couple building alarms, and a minor construction site accident on base.

::)

I see you're not interested in getting the thread back on tracks, even after all of us agreed to, and after that very sentence you quoted was addressed. Someone having a hate on for the MPs is nothing new, and you are a good reminder of that.

Enjoy your discussion, or trolling, whichever word you prefer.

Habs said:
::)

I see you're not interested in getting the thread back on tracks, even after all of us agreed to, and after that very sentence you quoted was addressed. Someone having a hate on for the MPs is nothing new, and you are a good reminder of that.

Enjoy your discussion, or trolling, whichever word you prefer.

Ride alongs are the topic. 

As for "having a hate on for the MPs is nothing new",

I wouldn't know about that. But, you can rant about it in threads such as these,

MP's Hated By Everybody??? 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/29310.50.html
3 pages.

"Nope -- I hate MP's - I have a lot of real cop friends"
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+mp+hate&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=e10XWJvrA6mC8QfYhqDQDw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+mp+hate&start=10

etc...

"you are a good reminder of that."

Thanks for not making it personal.  ::)

If you don't mind me asking, are you a rookie?

Back