• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP Educational Requirements, comments, questions and rants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to be a MP, meet the requirements and get the Police Foundations diploma. If you want to try to get in without it, good luck trying to get an exemption.

Then again, your attitude will probably ensure you don't make it past MPAC.

Interestingly enough, you state that most PF grads become security guards....which is exactly what you said you plan to do in the next year.  Granted your coworkers won't be able to put on their resume such prestige as a part time university student like yourself....but hey.....at least they tried.

Another fun fact, 95% of MPs (the job you want) have PF...how will you ever be able to work with such "ignorant fools?"

Merry Xmas.

MaximusFarseer said:
Most people never get into Law Enforcement with this pathetic college diploma, why is it required for the CF? I am currently a University student taking a break to work, I am 24 and switched to part time. I am not sure if I wanna return to University though, not at this point in my life. I was planning on joining the Reserves in 2014 and being a Security Guard (I have previous security experience) for the next 2 years. Along with this I will do 1000+ hours of community service. Would a recruiter still deny me if I had all this on my resume just because I don't have that worthless college diploma? I guess it isn't that worthless but it is more so then most college diplomas. The best it gets you is Military Police (if you get in) or Transit Enforcement. It is a useless diploma and most who are in it are ignorant fools who think they will be some big bad Police officer right after they are finished. Most people end up being Security guards with that.

First, the requirements for that particlar occupation are what they are, and the reasoning behind them has been discussed at length around here if you had bothered to actually search (which is fairly obviously you haven't, since you think you are special).  You either meet the requirements or  you don't.  If you don't feel you need to meet the requirements, your application won't even get you to the CFAT.

Second, the CAF doesn't need you.  Period.  MP is a small and highly competitive trade, with very limited openings to external applicants.  So you have two options, drop your sense of entitlement and meet the requirements, or piss off.

Sigh. Good luck OP because with that attitude you are going to need all the luck you can get.

I can't help but want to encourage you to discuss your opinions on the failings of the CF recruiting process/requirements with the interviewing officer at the CFRC. They like someone who can articulate themselves and will appreciate if you can show up with a well reasoned argument. Maybe you can type yourself some cue cards ahead of time?

And Merry Christmas while we are at it.

Now, now, don't be overly harsh on the poor OP, he's entitled to his opinion, no matter how uneducated and ill informed it is.

MaximusFarseer - there is a way around the diploma, simply join the CAF in another trade and get a couple of credits in a Police Foundation program, which shouldn't be too hard for a smart guy like yourself.  It is a win-win for you; not only do you get to avoid taking the useless degree but you will also get paid by the CAF while awaiting the Occupational Transfer!  Or, join the Reserve MP, get on a tour and do a Component Transfer.  There are options and I highly encourage you to seek out these back doors into my Branch.  I normally don't encourage people to go this route since it does take a bit of time and nothing is guaranteed but you've been able to articulate why you do not need the diploma so this is the much, much better route for you since I have absolutely no doubt that you'll be an exceptional candidate with both the BPSO interview and at MPAC!

Good luck, hopefully you'll be working for me in a few years.  We could have a lot of fun, you and I, I think!

Also, if you read the requirements, it is not limited to Police Foundation, Law & Security. You can also go for a more useful programming like Criminal Justice which is also approved by the CF.

The programme that I completed was nothing like PF where it teaches you what they'd teach you at the Academy anyway but is much more detailed on how the Canadian Judicial and Enforcement system works without you walking out like you're some SuperCop. Speaking to others that took PF they wish they had taken a Criminal Justice programme (better value for their money).

Although, many of my coworkers and friends that are now Sheriffs or Police Officers did do some time in Private Security  or Public Security (Peace Officer - Municipal Enfcmt/Bylaw). Loss Prevention and Hospital Protection Services are generally the two big hits as you get quite a bit of face-time with investigations and entering volatile situations with people from all walks life and you're require to diffuse it using as much verbal tact as possible. Sometimes physical intervention is inevitable, but the more you practice using your words, the better the pay off is down the road.

Don't knock it until you try it.

P.S.
Calgary Transit Public Safety & Enforcement (Community Peace Officer) is a wicked gig. Pay is fantastic and there's lots of interaction with the public (both the law abiding and the unruly). South Coast BC Transit Police also very, VERY desirable and many RCMP, Van PD etc have gone over and said it's pretty sweet.

I've heard time spent on recce is seldom wasted.

If you do a search of the OPs previous posts you'll likely get a better understanding of the question he's asking, and context.

Notwithstanding that the vast majority of this kid's previous posts have been hilarious nonsense, he's actually on the money on this one; police foundations is regarded across the law enforcement community as a largely junk diploma and a waste of two years. I would never in good conscience recommend it to anyone for any purpose- it's the lowest common denominator for police aspirants, and I'd you don't get into a force (which the vast majority of applicants don't), you're out two years of time and tuition with no real payoff.

Not that this guy's gonna get hired as a cop anyway- he's nuts, and he's full of himself. We'd never want to work with him. But it doesn't make him wrong about the near worthlessness of police foundations.

Brihard said:
Notwithstanding that the vast majority of this kid's previous posts have been hilarious nonsense, he's actually on the money on this one; police foundations is regarded across the law enforcement community as a largely junk diploma and a waste of two years. I would never in good conscience recommend it to anyone for any purpose- it's the lowest common denominator for police aspirants, and I'd you don't get into a force (which the vast majority of applicants don't), you're out two years of time and tuition with no real payoff.

Not that this guy's gonna get hired as a cop anyway- he's nuts, and he's full of himself. We'd never want to work with him. But it doesn't make him wrong about the near worthlessness of police foundations.

+1 on that.

Brihard said:

Tsk, tsk. How dare you shake the pedestal of the of the Jurassic status quo. :christmas happy:

i have my own perspective and saw the changes coming at CFISS>MP Academy.  i speak as ex-MP.
I was a Cbt Arms re muster and when I did my QL 3 we ran a mostly re muster course and a new kids on the block Platoon parallel. I was one of two re musters on the NKOB crse.
the vast majority of my course were Law and Security Grads from every Community College in Ontario and some had already attended French Language training.
We all took the same course content and all passed. They had their strong points and so did we. But they were very young and had limited life exposure. we however had at least 8 yrs service and some with UN tours. We were all at least Cpls with our Combat Leaders crse. The Infanteers were 6A qualified and relinquished our M/Cpl's to go MP.
Oddly enough all of us were MCpls again within a couple years, as MPs.
Law and Security was a 2 yrs crse and some colleges added an extra year and called it Police Studies.
The system seemed to work as we went to CFSIS and learned the Big M little P method. so in a way L&S had the fundamentals, but had to learn policing in the Military Community and at times they were rigid and opinionated.
We had to come back for our 5s and I personally did extremely well placing in the show category,
Two of us off our 3s were posted back at CFSIS back as instructors within 5 yrs.
So what was wrong with that system?
For years there was a movement to make MP a Spec trade and seeing you should at least be a College grad. Maybe the Spec pay would help with retention.

Someone at NDHQ decided to revamp the selection process with L&S sorry Police foundations prerequisite and re musters were basically squeezed out.
I retired and with my Military experience got a job in another area of law enforcement. Again getting a supervising position.
What have I seen there,  we had a system where we interviewed, hired, orientated and trained our own. it worked.
I was the last course under that method (Lucky) and we created a selection process where the candidates paid.

Same format but 6 weeks in residence. That was 1997. we tended to get a younger crowd as not many married guys with kids can quit a job, lose a paycheque and pay approx. $1500 for training and room and board. So we got recent college grads. They were smart but naive.
Guess what 2014 and we are going back to the interview, screen, hire, train and pay.
So I guess things will change and things will stay the same or try something new and it doesn't work so return to the original.
IMHO: and I am biased (having taught at least 7 serials of MP recruits re muster and NKOB) I suggest the re muter system which the losing trades hates as it is another form of attrition.
in dealing with people we acquire skills from UN tours, deployments, taskings (Olympics, security and humanitarian).
Is PF required, it is a bonus but that is two years that a person could have been getting paid and complete basic training. instead of paying 2 yrs of college and maybe incuring student loans. I say not really.

mad dog..............dare I ask your feelings on the 2 year corrections course?  Probably not. :mad:

Consolidated, Stickied and Locked.  Bottom line, you need a Police Foundations dipoma or an approved equivalent for the MP trade if you are coming off of the street (and in certain CT/OT situations) OR have been employed as a SWORN POLICE OFFICER, in Canada.  In order to determine what Police Foundations programs and equivalents are currently acceptable, you MUST contact a CFRC as the list of acceptable programs changes on a regular basis.

Hatchet Man
Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back