• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Most dreadful PT experience

Hey!

With all these lovely vomiting stories... I have to admit... vomiting is not my favorite activity...  ;D
Should I expect to vomit often if I join the military?  :-X

the_girlfirend said:
Hey!

With all these lovely vomiting stories... I have to admit... vomiting is not my favorite activity...  ;D

That depends on what IMPs you can/can't handle...

ham omlette anyone??

mine was when the Battalion was formed up for PT outside and me in the taxi coming in from a night of debauchery...late...and the CSM scowling at me. Talk about embarrassing.

only 20 extras at HQ. I may be laughing when I am writing this now but I wasn't then.

The one that comes to my mind goes like this:

2001 ARTS down in a little camp in the Valley.  For some reason, the ARTS CO and RSM came up with a directive that there would be NO running during morning PT on any of the courses (too many people might get hurt. No joke.)

In the abscence of our Crse O, I attended a Coy O Gp where this was passed down.  I was in disbelief and passed it onto the Crse O when he arrived the same week as my Instr's on Monday morning when I briefed him up on all the stuff from the previous week. 

That afternoon, he came back from lunch to tell me that one of the Inf Crse staffs had gone out on a run that morning and were spotted by someone from the headshed.  The Crse O hadn't ordered them to, they didn't have troops on the ground yet, they just..went for a run.

The Crse O had a big shite taken over him and did 17 extras IIRC for...running with his Inf NCOs and WO.

We argued the point to our CSM that the T in PT meant trg, and any who needed trg 'walking' shouldn't be on a Cmbt Arms QL3 crse. 

PT was referred to as "personal time" by most of us for the duration of that summer.

From DangerBoy:
"One of the most dreadful experiences was not the actual PT but the lead up to it.  When 2 PPCLI was stationed in Winnipeg we used to have morning parades on the parade square, no mater what the weather.  So we would be standing there just freezing while they went through the whole morning routine. RSM had the CSM's up front getting numbers then we would fall in the officers the DCO would take over then the CO would take over.  9 times out of 10 all the CO would say is "Company Commanders carry on" then the Coy Comd would say "Pl Comd carry on".  At least that is what I think they said, I was in Coy HQ and we formed up at the rear of the Coy so all we could here is the traffic on route 90 and just did what the Pl ahead of us did."

I was with Dangerboy during the majority of those parades. Hateful having to do PT in -30C weather.

Hah, easy, though it wasn't even a PT session.

Trench week on the SQ portion of my DP-1 Infantry at WATC, its around noon on the Thursday (I think), its about 40 degrees C and 1 Section is running on an hour of sleep (in the middle of which we got jacked up for something or other, I dunno, I slept through it apparently  ;D) for the entire week. Our C6 trench was found unsatisfactory by the good Sgt, so its torn down. He also finds our level of motivation lacking, so he informs us that we are to remove all of the sandbags from the C6 trench area, pile them up nice and neat and then run them up a hill about 100m away. And he did mean run (I mean shuffle!  ;D), if someone stopped, we'd have to start all over. So we moved them, all 50 (give or take a dozen, probably give) of them, no one stopped running, because we knew he meant it. He then asked us who had the retarded idea of stashing all of our sandbags on top of a stupid hill, so without further instruction we went and got them all back, and no one stopped running.

Screw sitting around at a table, talking about stuff, that was the most significant team-building experience I`ve had so far, no one wanted to let the section down.

And lets just say that the coyotes had a feast of semi-digested lunch IMPs that night  ;D

There's a couple I remember most of all. One was doing the fireman's carry up Zipperhead Hill. It wasn't so bad doing the carrying but the constant blow to the nads whilst being the "carried" was numbing. The other one was during a warm up prior to a run on my basic para. Our PI asked me "if we did much PT in EME" sensing something bad was about to happen I said no. He replied with "Yeah it shows" ouch, those words had the same effect as being carried up the hill.

Timex said:
There's a couple I remember most of all. One was doing the fireman's carry up Zipperhead Hill. It wasn't so bad doing the carrying but the constant blow to the nads whilst being the "carried" was numbing.
I know exactly what you mean and it is total balls.  :mad: 

(Sorry for the pun).  Carrying someone is fine, having their leg or rifle barrel strike your danger zone all the time isn't fine.

anybody have to go for a Number 2 during PT and have to run up ahead and come out of the woods with one sock?
this happened to a friend of mine on Brindle road in Petawawa during his ISCC............ ::)

HFXCrow said:
anybody have to go for a Number 2 during PT and have to run up ahead and come out of the woods with one sock?
this happened to a friend of mine on Brindle road in Petawawa during his ISCC............ ::)
I has to go, but I always held it in.

One time it was a bit of a struggle.  Thank god I kept it.  :eek:

OldSolduer said:
From DangerBoy:
"One of the most dreadful experiences was not the actual PT but the lead up to it.  When 2 PPCLI was stationed in Winnipeg we used to have morning parades on the parade square, no mater what the weather.  So we would be standing there just freezing while they went through the whole morning routine. RSM had the CSM's up front getting numbers then we would fall in the officers the DCO would take over then the CO would take over.  9 times out of 10 all the CO would say is "Company Commanders carry on" then the Coy Comd would say "Pl Comd carry on".  At least that is what I think they said, I was in Coy HQ and we formed up at the rear of the Coy so all we could here is the traffic on route 90 and just did what the Pl ahead of us did."

I was with Dangerboy during the majority of those parades. Hateful having to do PT in -30C weather.

Who can forget those days! Dress for the parade and sweat like a pig during PT thus freezing or dress for PT and do all your freezing before PT. Wonderful days they were, it only took a new CO to start holding winter PT parades in the drill hall saving us from freezing prior to PT.
Let's not even talk about vehicle exhaust at -35!

the_girlfirend said:
Hey!

Don't worry, after a while you get good at it!  ;D

Grunt became an Expert  ;D

I remember Grunt oh how I remember LMAO

BulletMagnet said:
Grunt became an Expert  ;D

I remember Grunt oh how I remember LMAO

I know you do.  On our QL3, it was said "It's not PT unless Pte Anyone's Grunt pukes!"

Every goddammed morning.

Lumber said:
For myself, the worst was this January. It was a wednesday morning, around 0630. It was -10C outside, it was snowing, there was already half a foot or more of snow on the ground, and there was black ice under all that snow. As we made our way around the campus and made tracks in the snow, that black ice started to reveal itself, and the run got more and more jolly as we made consecutive tours.

Today wasn't much better! Do they check the weather channel for the worst weather possible before they schedule Dcdts PT?!

BulletMagnet said:
Hey Grunt remember learning the drills on Carl G  :crybaby:

... I don't want to talk about it... now where are my head-space and timing meds.

Back