• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Montreal reserves?

ark.....
There isn't a "legal" issue.
Montreal is Montreal.  It is a cosmopolitain city where the two dominant languages are French & English.
Troops are a valuable asset that units spend a lot of time, money and effort in training.  Consequently, we work with out troops... both in french & english.
It's not a legal issue - it's a common sense issue.

ark said:
So units in bilingual regions are automatically designated bilingual?

Units of the Canadian Forces exist because of a Ministerial Organizational Order (a "MOO").  From that, a Canadian Forces Organizational Order (a CFOO) is issued.

The CFOO of each unit designates the language of that unit.  Key positions within a unit may be designated as requiring both official languages dependign on the linguistic designation of the unit.

In this case, within Montreal, the CFOOs for the RCH, 2 RCA, 34 CER, 712 Comm Sqn, the CGG, the Black Watch, the RMR and 51e BnS all designate those units as bilingual.

dapaterson said:
Units of the Canadian Forces exist because of a Ministerial Organizational Order (a "MOO").  From that, a Canadian Forces Organizational Order (a CFOO) is issued.

The CFOO of each unit designates the language of that unit.  Key positions within a unit may be designated as requiring both official languages dependign on the linguistic designation of the unit.

In this case, within Montreal, the CFOOs for the RCH, 2 RCA, 34 CER, 712 Comm Sqn, the CGG, the Black Watch, the RMR and 51e BnS all designate those units as bilingual.

Thanks!

HighlandIslander said:
I work in a Montreal 'bilingual' unit and I find that while it's not strictly bilingual in that orders are given in duplicate, English and French etc., people generally make an effort. Our primary working language is English, and there's no way around it. However, we do have members whose first language is French. People go our of their way to make sure that they understand what's going on - there's no sense marginalizing individuals who could be very capable soldiers but simply grew up speaking something else. During a CO's hour a while back, one of these people asked a question, and the CO did his best to answer in French.

the_girlfriend, what unit did you apply to?

What unit are you in? I'm looking to transfer units so I think I need to get the paperwork in before we close up for Christmas.

Na$tySal said:
What unit are you in? I'm looking to transfer units so I think I need to get the paperwork in before we close up for Christmas.

The information you're looking for can be found in my profile.

HighlandIslander said:

Umm..... Oh yeah, this is good.... Master Private ???

Explain cause, there is just no such thing

Long story, Geo, people from my unit would understand. If it bothers anyone, though, I'll change it.

Considering the nature of all the users on this site... do yourself a favour and change it.

(PS - I figured it out... but not everyone else would - others would label you a "poser" and question pert much everything and anything you might post)

HighlandIslander said:

I get an error "Many apologies, but you can't view just any profile." why I try to view it. But am I safe in assuming that it's the Black Watch given your avatar?

Would it be ok if though private messages i asked you a few questions about the unit? Trying to find something similar to what I have here, so it would be quite helpful.

Thanks.

I am in fact with the Black Watch. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions you may have.

The 712 is very bilingual. People speak in the language that they are most comfortable. Some classes / courses are given in only one language or the other, but there will always be someone to help you either way.

If you're entering as an NCM, you will be able to communicate in English / French as you like. If you're entering as an officer, well, we would want you to be able to eventually speak to your troops in the language that they are most comfortable with. This is not an absolute - we don't offer language training at the unit - but it's generally good form to make an attempt to learn the other official language, particularly if you are in a position of leadership.

If you have any questions re the 712, please PM me or post here. I'm a bilingual (English as my mother tongue) officer there and one of my secondary duties is as the "Official Languages Officer." I'd be quite happy to address any questions you might have.

I'm very proud of what our unit has achieved with regards to bilingualism - it hasn't always been smooth, but we always do our best to respect the rights of both groups.

Back