• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Molson Coors to curb sales of high-alcohol beer

larry Strong

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
You don't see corporations giving up large sales for the "good of the community"!

I say "Bravo" to Molson Coors.

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/02/17/edmonton-coors-discontinues-big10.html
Molson Coors says it's going to stop selling one of its products in Alberta for the good of the community.

The company made the decision after a pilot program in Edmonton to reduce violence in some neighbourhoods found that inexpensive beverages with a high percentage of alcohol were being sold in large volumes and increasing the risk of victimization and violence.

The City of Edmonton and Edmonton Police Service Neighbourhood Empowerment Team came up with an awareness program to make consumers and retailers aware that some bottles of single-serve alcohol were equal to as many as seven cans of beer.

Molson Coors says the work of the team led to the company's decision to discontinue distribution of the Black Label Big 10 product in Alberta, one of the most popular drinks of choice for those with alcohol addictions. The beer is 10.1 per cent alcohol content, so a 1.18 litre bottle is equal to 2.36 litres or seven cans of regular strength beer.

Andrew Stordeur, Alberta sales director for Molson Coors says it's about promoting responsible choices and doing what's best for the communities in which they do business.

Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht says almost half of the calls in the downtown area are alcohol related, and he hopes this move will reduce those calls.

They should do the same with "Stone Cold" here in MB. Cheap, strong and nasty. Comes in a 2L bottle.

I'm surprised that Molson did it here, maybe if the right pitch was made there it might happen as well.

I don't know. Lots of money to be made of the "social benefits" industry here.

Well maybe the first small step is here in Edmonton. It might get the corporations thinking.

Call it a test case.  Fact is, people will just guzzle more of the low end stuff instead - it's a little less convenient, but the real bingers/boozers don't really care. 

MM

I am pretty sure they are not doing it out of the goodness of their heart's, however it did come as a bit of a surprise and I think it's a good first step.

Larry Strong said:
I am pretty sure they are not doing it out of the goodness of their heart's, however it did come as a bit of a surprise and I think it's a good first step.

I'm sure there was a little cajoling behind the scenes...watch and see I guess.

MM

Their legal team likely told them they were just waiting for the lawsuits to start. Goodness of heart probably has nothing to do with it.

Back