• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mk III's are killing me...

Grunt

Inactive
Reaction score
Ive been wearing the Mk III's for about a year so far and these boots just arent working out for me.  Although they are a tough boots and I like the looks of them, any ruck marching in them quickly destroys my feet after a few clicks (even with custom made orthotic inserts).  Even a simple 3-4 klick walk to the garrison with only a tacvest (heck even with just combats on) on will produce blisters.  Ive tried wearing them daily for the past six months to toughen my feet up but that hasnt worked out too well either.

Ive consulted my foot doctor and he says that I would really benefit from boots with a cushioned sole and "heel counter", because of the way my foot is shaped, and something to do with the way I walk.

Any suggestions on good boots I could buy?  Im going off to do my BIQ this summer and I would hate to get kicked off of it because of bad feet.

Thanks!

Have you gotten Vibram soles put on your Mk IIIs? Made a world of difference in my opinion of them. Also look at the Runnning Room for a product called Bodyglide. It helps avoid blisters.

Make sure they are the mark III; there was a cheap replacement in the system. Second, the is an English size and a USA size, Canada uses the English sizing. Example I am a metric 42, English 7 USA 8. Because of the rush of us made shoes and running shoes in Canada the last few years we have slowly switched to usa sizing, but the mark III are in English sizing, you could have a pair of boots that are to big. When you walk your foot should not be sliding in the boot, if it does you will get blisters. If you go back to supply and explain your problem they can help you or order you proper boots with a better sol.

Your Foot Doctor should probably have prescribed Orthodics for you to help you unusual walk.  I am sure that if you have the Orthodics, you will with some time find a difference.

On another tact, what are you wearing for socks?  Perhaps, the socks you are wearing don't properly fill your boots to prevent foot slippage and/or sweating? 

Everyone's foot problems are different, and there are lots of different solutions.  Experimentation helps.

I know I am just a cadet. but if you havnt (which I dought) used the two layer sock system.. use it, It may just be the answer to your problems!

My magical combo of socks is this pair of thin tight sports socks with a pair of heavy wool ontop.

or If you are willing to try "special" socks. Take a visit to a running shoe store (In Hamilton a place like the running den) and pick up a pair of anti blister socks. I personaly havnt used them before but some of the staff I have had praised them.

My two pennies...

Hey grunt, speak with your sec. som. I know a few of them had problems with their ankles and know the problems bad boots cause.  It depends too on how much you want to spend on good kit, but I say when it comes especially to your feet, you shouldn't skimp.  Try fox river blister guard liner socks with thorlo military boot socks, you can pick those up at BrigadeQuatermaster at actiongear.com.  Sealsactiongear is carrying those new SOLE inserts, I would highly recommend those, may be even better for your odd shaped foot because they are custom formed, just make sure to wear your socks when forming them.  I'm not too sure if you can get them re-soled with vibrams, I don't rememer any guys their being able to have that done, but I do remember guys were able to purchase different boots.  A medical chit will go a long way if you have to fight for something to help.  Talk to some of the senior guys there about boot choices, they know some good ones.  In my opinion, Matterhorns are the best with the gortex lining and the WWB is modelled after them, so you shouldn't take too much flak if you do.  Back to that medical chit, if you do get one for different boots, do forget it when you go on course 'cause you'll need to prove you need them.  Best of luck...

If you are willing to pay the $70. most units will allow vibram soles. Always good to check first though.

"Canada uses the English sizing."

The CF switched to metric Mondo-Point sizing in the Ninrteen-Eighties.

TCBF said:
"Canada uses the English sizing."

The CF switched to metric Mondo-Point sizing in the Ninrteen-Eighties.

Yes you are right, but the Mk III are sized in English, that is why there are people who love them and hate them, you can see a metric size on the sole, but they issue them in English sizing, funny part is most of the staff who issue them do not know that. Myself I take a size 8 Running Shoe, but take a size 7 Mk III. I have worn them since 1972 and love them.

Every time I get a recruit with blister problems I find he has the wrong size, 1/2 to 1 size to big a boot. We get him the right size and the blister problem almost completely goes away, blisters are from rubbing the skin, if your boot is fitter properly you should not get blisters. Also the cheap new wool nylon socks they give recruits is awful, I got a few pair and hate them, there is too much nylon in them. I prefer the wool winter sock, it is more like the old wool socks they used to issue, I also like the green socks.

When I get new Mk III I fill them with hot water and leave item for a few minutes, I then pour out the water, put the insole back in then go for a 5 kilometre walk with my ruck, I then leave them to dry and voila, a perfect fit Mk III.

I'd simply suggest getting a medical chit and getting something like Danners.  They're expensive, but they're the best on the market and you're feet will love you.  I just think It's incredibly foolish to think that one type of boot will fit everyone comfortably. 

Thanks to all who replied :)

So far ive heard good things about the Hitec Magnum boots and the Danners.

What are some of your oppinions on the Hitec magnums?  I see a couple guys in my unit wear them.

I take an 8W running shoe but am running a 7F Combat boot and I find it fits me perfectly (no looseness issues).  The doctor said the blistering prob has something to do about the way I transfer weight from heel to toe combined with my foot shape (something about an odd pes cavus or some med term like that lol), and the doctor said i should look at getting something other then the hockey puck soles.  I find the issued 2 sock system doesnt work that well, I'll order them blisterguard socks tonite!  (im already a kit whore lol)

Rigged up an appointment for a medical chit for boots May 13th

Again thanks to all for the help

I've talked to a few people recently who switched from Magnums to Original SWAT... one said "it's like your foot is having sex with your boot" lol... I have no first hand experience yet, but a pair of Tan SWATs are in the mail now, I'll let you know how they work out.

I see dropzone tactical has the original swat boots for sale.

Do the danner Acadias breath well?  I prefer a boot with a textile upper cause of my really sweaty feet lol.

Grunt said:
I see dropzone tactical has the original swat boots for sale.

Do the danner Acadias breath well?   I prefer a boot with a textile upper cause of my really sweaty feet lol.

I have Danner Acadias, and they're great, but too warm for the summer (goretex & 200gram insulated though)...

I just noticed the new footware section on DZ's website, but I ordered mine from copquest.com a few days before DZ updated their site... lol

They're two very different types of boots, Danners are bombproof and last forever, just need to be re-soled, and they're expensive. SWAT's are more like civy hiking boots, are lighter, less expensive and meant to last about a year of regular use, then replaced...

Remember, in most cases, you get what you pay for.   I also like the saying "...you better shop around..."   Ideally, you would like to try several boots on and get a feel for them and even do a little run around the store, but in T-Bay, there aren't any stores that would have them.   Just read up all you can about the models and reviews and get what you feel would best suit your needs and foot ergonomics ie more/less arch support, good ankle support...  

Good choice. Make sure they're uninsulated if you want to wear them in the summer. They also run narrow in the toe area. The size should be about the same as your running shoe size. I have size 10.5 shoes and 10.5 Danners.

Back