• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mk III Upgrade?

Since CTS is several years away from fielding the replacement for the Mk III Combat Boot, would you

• Total voters

Matt_Fisher

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
CTS doesn't seem like they'll be fielding the Mk III replacement anytime soon and that a pretty anal order has been issued by NDHQ about only wearing the MK III or WWB in Canada (all others are prohibited, including desert, jungle, Danner Acadia, etc.).

I wanted to see what people's opinions are on the subject of upgrading the Mk III with a Vibram outsole and cushioned polyurethane midsole to increase comfort as well as replacing the lacing eyelets with a speed-lace system so the boots can be donned and doffed much more quickly and easily.

Please take the time to vote and leave your comments.

I can say without doubt that the condition my back is in now was caused by spending damn near every waking hour for 23 years in those Mk III's.  When I first joined we ran in them, marched in them, even played sports in them... they were part of the unit PT dress.  If I was given the option of altering them back in '80, I would have jumped at it.  My Illusterless (my word, pat. pend.) carreer might still be ongoing....

CHIMO,  Kat

I think demographics would have something to do with it. For example, a young troop like me probably won't have any serious issues with the boot, and I've got orthotics too. It never seriously occured to me to get resoled/aftermarket boots, barring a for-real deployment to Afghan. However, one day when I am washed up like Kat Stevens, no doubt I would have changed my mind......

Brit,

you do raise some interesting points there.  I always fall back on the belief "Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you."

My biggest complaint with the old MkIIIs wasn't so much with the fit or the soles, but the lacing system in that it took forever to put on and lace up, compared to speed-laced boots.  Doesn't seem so bad in garrison, but when you're in the field and putting your boots on in the cold morning when your hands are numb and swollen, lacing is no fun.

All this dire and gloom talk about the MK3s have almost convinced me to get new soles... This is how I get suckered into buying everything, if I don't buy it right now , I'll be "feeling the effects 20 years down the road".

gravyboat said:
I am blessed (cursed) with extremely odd shaped feet. 101/2 EEEE, with a high arch and overpronation. None of the issued combat boots fit me, WWB, Desert Boot, jungle Boot or Mk III. I'm now vying for the Danner posterboy job.

I, too, have high arches.  After fifty some years they have not fallen as some have predicted would happen.  My solution, after getting blisters on the tops of my feet, was simple.......don't cross my laces at that part of the boot.  No more blisters.  I passed this on to others and you may notice a lot of guys today are not crossing their laces half way up their boots for that very reason.

Matt and Brit

Years ago, we had speed laces.  It may have been on the Mk IIs.  They broke more often than not and were an even bigger pain in the butt than the straight eyelets we went back to.  You landed up with the odd eyelet broken on the speed laces and then had to skip it, totally screwing up your lacing and fit of the boot.

I usually was able to unlace my Mk IIIs and loosen them to take off or put on with only the top eyelets to relace.  Even at night that wasn't too difficult.  If an 'attack' was on, I don't think many would bother with the laces, or perhaps not even bother with the boots.  In the winter, those little slippers and mukluk socks worked great.

If an 'attack' was on, I don't think many would bother with the laces, or perhaps not even bother with the boots.

Well of course, you only had to walk as far as your tank! ;D

I personally don't like speed lacing either. They lace up faster but also get loose rather quickly after any amount of walking, the slippery laces on the desert boots are especially annoying, and I just use regular black MK3 laces on my DBs.  I'm thinking perhaps a buckle or velcro system, to supplement the laces, might work better. That way, in a hurry, you can quickly tighten up just the velcro or bucke and be good to go for a while, and when you have time, you can use the laces to adjust the fit.

Interesting.  I've never had a problem with the laces working themselves loose when rucking.  Just tie the good old reef/square not and you're good to go.

As far as speed laces breaking and I don't mean to sound like a donkey here George, but technology may have changed a bit since the early 80's or 70's when you used the Mk IIs.  There are also different types of speed lacing systems out there.  Some are extremely robust (like the ones that are used on the Matterhorn Infantry Combat Boots) and some that are not so robust.

Interesting.  I've never had a problem with the laces working themselves loose when rucking.  Just tie the good old reef/square not and you're good to go.

It's probably just the laces on the issued desert boot. They're so stiff and slippery when I first got them, I couldn't even knot them properly, like they were made of shiny nylon or something. Never did get much better with age either... Haven't had too many problems using the old black laces, but then they don't lace up as fast either. 

Britney Spears said:
Well of course, you only had to walk as far as your tank! ;D

Actually, I tried to never get off it.

Matt

There are indeed many types of speed lace systems.  Some, I must agree, are very good.  Unfortunately, to my experience, the ones the CF has gotten in the past, with the Mk IIs and Prospectors we got for Tour in 1994, really sucked the big one.  I found the system on the CWW boot laces up quite quickly.  I usually just had to pull on the laces and the whole boot tightened up in a fraction of a second.

Kat Stevens said:
My Illusterless (my word, pat. pend.) carreer might still be ongoing....

CHIMO,  Kat

Haha. Look up: lacklustre.

edit: oh, and your prefix negates your suffix. Il - luster - less. Double negative.

I've already gone and paid for both sets to be resoled. There was no way I'd wait, its not worth the damage to my feet/back/knees, etc. 

Question: Are there speed lace eyelets that can be pressed/screwed into those in the MK3, or do you need to get them all replaced with speed lace eyelets (and in that case, how much does it run you?)?

BKells said:
Haha. Look up: lacklustre.

edit: oh, and your prefix negates your suffix. Il - luster - less. Double negative.
Eeeerm, it was supposed to be a play on words, ie illustrious and lusterless combined.....nevertheless, thank you for the grammatical correction..

CHIMO,  Kat

I havent really had a problem with the MK III's, I find them pretty comfortable but I kept the insoles they issued in Vernon (they were gunna be thrown out anyway, so I kept em) so maybe that helps. The only time they suck is in the winter time (They sweat and get cold... repeat)...but I should be wearing a different type of boot for that anyway.

As I've stated in other threads, I get my Mk III's resoled with Vibram every two years or so.  I believe the $60-70 is worth it.  I would love to see the CF subsidize this (even without a medical chit) but I'll still take the hit till then.  I love my feet.

You can make the old Mk III's a semi decent winter boot with a few hors of elbow grease.  Get hold of a tube of Sno-Seal, and apply as per directions.  If you do it properly, you can still polish them, and they shed water like a ducks as...errr...back.  Well worth the $10 or so that they want for it...

CHIMO,  Kat

The best combination I found (don't laugh) was the Mk IIIs in a pair of boots, rubber, clumsy, soldiers, for the use of.  My feet run a little hot, and I would sweat in the mukluks even in minus-holy-crap temps.  Plus if you've ever experienced one of those lovely Suffield Chinooks, you know that once mukluks are wet, they STAY wet.  You can even snowshoe in the overboots.  Mukluks are good for standing in a trench for 3 days, but crap when you're on the move... just my $.02

CHIMO,  Kat

Well with the Boot Nazi attacks I had to go to the MIR to renew my CHIT.  Unfortunately they no longer offer the buy it yourself options - so I am back having the CF pay  ;D

KevinB said:
Well with the Boot Nazi attacks I had to go to the MIR to renew my CHIT.   Unfortunately they no longer offer the buy it yourself options - so I am back having the CF pay   ;D

What a waste of $ and resources.  Everybody knows that every MO will sign off on a chit saying you can wear boots other than the MK IIIs, so why even bother to do a witch hunt to see if the troop has a chit or not?  If he doesn't have a chit when he's persecuted, it takes a trip to the MIR, an interview with the MO and he's got a chit.

How much money does this waste in terms of MOs spending time writing up chits for soldiers feet and how much money is the CF spending on "orthopedically acceptable" footwear.  Just have a blanket policy that says that as long as a boot meets certain requirements in terms of color, materials used (ie. no all nylon boots, etc.), minimum ankle height (lets say 8") and has a lace closure, it should be good to go.  Continue to issue the Mk III or its replacement, and have regulations that state that the unit commander may dictate their wear for parades, but other than that, individuals may choose to wear what boot works best for them.

Back