• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military vet battles government over intellectual property

Journeyman said:
Well the "B" Ark folks are off and running.....    :pop:

Nope.

Government has no telephone sanitizers.  These are (at best) "C" Ark folks.

FJAG,

Can I just stop thanking you for your positive, concise contributions to the site.  [:D

And follow-up: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/veteran-reserves-public-servant-patent-1.3660867

It's more than that Lightguns. It affects every member of the reserves at all time.

This means, for instance that a member of the Militia who joined right after high school to pay his way through University/College and studied in a field where patents are a likely outcome of employment will have to leave the Forces altogether just when he becomes fully trained and capable of making a positive contribution to his unit, otherwise he won't be able to work in his civilian career (where he has to sign over any IP he may develop for his employer - which will not want to take someone with "conditional" IP rights only).

This is going to be good for the Reserves .... NOT!

Actually, this might affect me. I'm a former reserve siggie, I've been on the supp list for three years, I'm currently a Toronto-based web developer neck-deep in the x-as-a-service that's been the startup culture, and I've got something I've been slowly building that's going to require a patent sooner or later. I'll hold off on drastic action as long as this doesn't directly affect me. But this does have a negative effect on my perception of the value of sticking around.

If something happens, I'll be sure to share.

Back