• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Urban Legends

Shelldrake,

I was in the same regiment as the soldier who took the helicopter for a ride.  That story was one of the first I was told when I was posted there.  The rumour was that a short time after returning from Club Ed, he was promoted, but I don't know that for sure...

backinblack

MikeL said:
any of you heard about the M113 thats half-burried somewhere in the Vernon/Kelowna,BC  area

well at the Vernon Cadet Camp, on the road up to the Outdoor Rifle Range (The big one where you shoot the C7's)
along the road there are old Tank Turrets painted various Blues, Whites and Yellows in amongst the grass, now wether there is an actual tank attached to this Turret, I dont know

(Cdt.) Sgt.Bergen said:
OK I see that this topic has been dead for awhile but.... I heard that back in the "good ol' days" Cadet used to get to throw a hand grenade or two. They put a stop to this when a cadet was killed by one of the grenades
has anyone else heard this is it true?

Yes I was told something like that by my Platoon WO at camp, he said the dummy ones were painted yellow and I guess a real one was in amongst the dummys and someone died or injured or severly scared, im not sure, cant remember that part, pick an ending. anyways this was aparently done when they were running the trades courses, I was told that as well as the ones we all know about like cooking and Radio Com, they ran what he told me were Courses in Artillery and Infantry, probably where the Grenade fiasco came from. but I cant vouch for any authenticity or half-truths

How about the "Mad Hussar" in Pet (circa early 80's)...raped dogs and other drunken mischief in the PMQ patch.

Heard one from my strategic studies prof (he was an engineer [pvt up to capt.]) for 15 yrs. He told me there were some yanks up on a joint training ex or something and that they camoflaged their tank so effectively that they couldn't find it. They went home after the ex without ever having found the tank.

Edit:

On the slippery floors note: We'd just swept/mopped the hall floor one night and I had to go down it to get to the mop closet. I didn't want to take my boots off but I didn't want to muck up the floor so I shoved two garbage cans (small ones from our rooms) on my feet and waddled down to the closet. Everyone was having quite a laugh watching me waddle up and down the hall, taking pictures, and having a great time. About 15 minutes later I notice the floor is scuffed to sh-t from my little trip. It was about 5 mins to lights out so I grabbed the only thing I had - a can of Pledge - and managed to de-scuff the entire hallway floor in about 3 minutes. Of course, although it had no wax, the Pledge succeeded in making the floor slippery as hell for the next few days. No one fell or got injured, thank god (our Sgt. slipped on it, which was good for a laugh [him included] at which point the Pledge coat was mentioned and he stopped laughing) but I learned a valuable lesson: no-wax Pledge still acts like wax Pledge.

Sgt. Papke said:
Yes I was told something like that by my Platoon WO at camp, he said the dummy ones were painted yellow and I guess a real one was in amongst the dummys and someone died or injured or severly scared, im not sure, cant remember that part, pick an ending. anyways this was aparently done when they were running the trades courses, I was told that as well as the ones we all know about like cooking and Radio Com, they ran what he told me were Courses in Artillery and Infantry, probably where the Grenade fiasco came from. but I cant vouch for any authenticity or half-truths

The grenade incident happened in Valcartier.  A live grenade was used for classroom instruction of some cadets and functioned.  Six killed, fourty wounded.

Ok Thanks now I've looked around for some more information but I can't find a whole lot. I've found that it happened in 1974 and they tried to pin it on a Cadet "But in the end the truth came out " where can I read the full true story about the "Valcartier Grenade Explosion"

Here's a new one:

Recently Marines in Iraq wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to
let them know how much they liked their coffees and to request that they
send some of it to the troops there.
Starbucks replied, telling the Marines thank you for their support
in their business, but that Starbucks does not support the war, nor
anyone in it, and that they would not send the troops their brand of
coffee.
So as not to offend Starbucks, we should not support them by buying
any of their products.
As a war vet writing to fellow patriots, I feel we should get this
out in the open. I know this war might not be very popular with some
folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support our troops fighting
street-to-street and house-to-house for what they and I believe is
right.
If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can
discard it and no one will never know.
Thanks very much for your support of me, and I know you'll all be
there again when I deploy once more.
"Semper Fidelis."
Sgt. Howard C. Wright
1st Force Recon Co.
1st Plt PLT RTO

Side note:

During the 9/11 rescue attempts, Starbucks also refused to give any
of the rescuers water while they were working in the city. They would
sell it but not give any water. They later issued an apology, but they
seem to have a policy of putting $ before people.

Perhaps we should send our Marine friends a few cases of Tim Horton's.    ;D

Yes George, definitely send some Tim's to the Marines.

On another note - I noticed a whole pile of stories here about vehicles vanishing.  My Dad told me one from when he was an arty rad op with 2 Horse back in the 60's in Germany.  He was "accidentally" tuned into the umpire net when he heard the chief umpire get into an argument with one of his staff - apparently they lost a whole Battalion of the Black Watch (then a Regular unit).  They had apparently arrived on an objective a little sooner than anticipated and were forced to pull back, so they did  - they also dug in so well that NOBODY could find them, including the umpire staff.

MM

" THE REST OF THE STORY 

Captain Kangaroo passed away on January 23, 2004 as age 76 , which is odd, because he always looked to be 76. (DOB: 6/27/27.)  It reminded me of the following story.

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin, is buried in a grave alongside 3 and 4 star generals at Arlington National Cemetery

Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the heck does he rate burial with these guys?  Well, following is the amazing answer: I always liked Lee Marvin, but didn't know the extent of his Corps experiences.

In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed forces often in rear-echelon posts where they were carefully protected, only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond promotions, Lee Marvin was a genuine hero.  He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima. There is only one higher Naval award...  the Medal Of Honor.

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

During a dialog on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson", Johnny's guest was Lee Marvin.  Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of  people are unaware that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima...  and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."

"Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the bottom and they gave me the Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi. Bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys getting' shot hauling you down But, Johnny, at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew... .  We both got the cross the same day, but what he di d for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison. That dumb guy actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by, with mortar rounds landing everywhere and he stood there as the main target.

Johnny, I'm not  lying, Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew. The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan. You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed away) on PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name.  He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps.  He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.

After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life.  He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.

America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did; they quietly go about their day-to-day lives, doing what they do best.  They earned our respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy

Look around and see if you can find one of those heroes in your midst.  Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like to have on your side if anything ever happened.

Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom. With encouragement they could be the next Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Rogers. "Any one know if any of this is true?

All the stories about Mr Rogers and Capt Kangaroo have been proven to be just that, hogwash.

Go <a href=http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-mr-rogers.htm>HERE</a> for more....

Lance Wiebe said:
All the stories about Mr Rogers and Capt Kangaroo have been proven to be just that, hogwash.

Go <a href=http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-mr-rogers.htm>HERE</a> for more....

So has the Starbuchs story, and most of the ones about missing vehicles.  Isn't that the whole point?  This IS the urban legends thread after all....

I remember hearing the "story" about a guy who had a good run ashore in a foreign port and ended up meeting up with a girl who was in port on a cruise.  He went over to her cabin on the cuiseship and woke up the next morning 50 miles to sea - they'd sailed with him on board.

Obviously a morality tale about being careful ashore, I thought.  And then I met the guy.  They had to send the Sea King to pick him up. D'oh!

Urban myth? #1: Another buried vehicle...

At the tail end of RV 92 in Wainwright, I heard a rumour that a C-6 had gone missing.  They figured that it had been left (or buried) in the field, so the Grifs made passes over the training area with ground penetrating radar.  They didn't find the C-6, but they did find a buried M113.

The twist to the story was that the C-6 was found packed in grease, wrapped and hidden attached to a vehicle axle on the railhead.

Urban myth? #2:

During my GMT course (in Vernon BC), none of us were supplied with sun screen until around day five.  As a result, we were all sunburned to a certain degree around the face, but the tops of our heads were white, due to wearing the beret.  It was circulated that this was done so that if anyone tried to go AWOL, the MPs would have an easier time trying to find them down in Vernon.

As an addition to the myth, it "worked", as a guy in another platoon went nuts and threw all of his DEUs in a trash can and took off.  The MPs supposedly caught him in town at the Burger King eating a Whopper due to the beret tanline.  (Not sure about the significance of the Whopper, but it was in the version I was told.)

Urban myth? #3:  Think I heard it around 98, again, Wainwright story.

Pretty common knowledge that DND vehicle aren't supposed to be used for personal reasons.  Apparently, there was a problem at the Wainwright Canex regarding military vehicles being parked in the parking lot around coffeebreak time.  After the threat came out to charge people, the practice stopped.  However, a Griffon crew was charged after they landed beside the Canex...one guy hoped out, ran in and picked up coffee for the crew.

Urban myth? #4:

During a departure from Cyprus, certain barrack boxes from people who had pissed off the ground crew were placed in a hole at the end of the runway and paved over.

Urban myth? #5:

An officer told a NCO to take his bags out to the aircraft (clear violation of the one man, one kit rule).  This individual picked up the bags, took them out on the flight line and placed them in the path of a snow removal vehicle...through the auger they went.  Officer didn't discover that his bags were missing until they touched down.  (Heard this from a "witness" to the event, about a person who would probably do it.)

Urban myth? #6:

Probably been told on every base...  Common knowledge not to walk across the parade square.  However, one soldier decides to risk it after coming back late from the bar.  RSM just happens to have an office overlooking his parade square, is working late, and spots the soldier in the darkness.

"YOU.  STOP WHERE YOU ARE."  Soldier stops.  "WHAT's YOUR NAME."  Soldier says (Loud voice, sense of purpose) "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"  RSM says, (thinking CO / Base Commander, etc) "No?"

Anonymous soldier yells F*** Y** and runs off laughing.  Also heard, soldier yells "Carl Gustav" and runs for it.

hamiltongs said:
I remember hearing the "story" about a guy who had a good run ashore in a foreign port and ended up meeting up with a girl who was in port on a cruise.  He went over to her cabin on the cuiseship and woke up the next morning 50 miles to sea - they'd sailed with him on board.

Obviously a morality tale about being careful ashore, I thought.  And then I met the guy.  They had to send the Sea King to pick him up. D'oh!

Whatever happened to that guy?

Urban myth? #3:  Think I heard it around 98, again, Wainwright story.

Pretty common knowledge that DND vehicle aren't supposed to be used for personal reasons.  Apparently, there was a problem at the Wainwright Canex regarding military vehicles being parked in the parking lot around coffeebreak time.  After the threat came out to charge people, the practice stopped.  However, a Griffon crew was charged after they landed beside the Canex...one guy hoped out, ran in and picked up coffee for the crew.

Probably true...

Urban myth? #5:

An officer told a NCO to take his bags out to the aircraft (clear violation of the one man, one kit rule).  This individual picked up the bags, took them out on the flight line and placed them in the path of a snow removal vehicle...through the auger they went.  Officer didn't discover that his bags were missing until they touched down.  (Heard this from a "witness" to the event, about a person who would probably do it.)

The version I heard was much less dramatic.  The officer (passenger) in question told the FE to load his bags into the aircraft.  The FE (may have been an LM) was a crusty old bugger and wasn't having any of it.  When they arrived at destination the officer asked where his bags were.  The response?  "Right where you left them, sir."

A couple of good Urban Legend links

http://www.snopes.com/military/military.asp

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/rumors.asp

Dirt Digger said:
Urban myth? #6:

Probably been told on every base...   Common knowledge not to walk across the parade square.   However, one soldier decides to risk it after coming back late from the bar.   RSM just happens to have an office overlooking his parade square, is working late, and spots the soldier in the darkness.

"YOU.   STOP WHERE YOU ARE."   Soldier stops.   "WHAT's YOUR NAME."   Soldier says (Loud voice, sense of purpose) "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"   RSM says, (thinking CO / Base Commander, etc) "No?"

There's an officer at my unit who claims to have done this personally... though as soon as the person replied "No?" he quietly took off running.

M-72s were crushed because the VC would use them for Booby traps.

Filled with pin-pulled-grenades, set up with a trip wire.

6 or so grenades fall out BOOM BOOM BOOM.

AmmoTech90 said:
The grenade incident happened in Valcartier.   A live grenade was used for classroom instruction of some cadets and functioned.   Six killed, fofortyounded.

The grenade was apparently marked Blue and Inert.  Hence the instructions to carefully inspect Munitions that are marked Inert before your class on them.

Back