• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military training manuals for sale on Ebay?

jzaidi1

Inactive
Reaction score
Folks,

Was just pointed to an Ebay link for an F-18 Pilot Training Manual for sale.  This looks to be highly illegal but nevertheless has piqued my curiosity.  I ran a google search on who else may be offering up F-18 or CF-18 training manuals and came across CHQs site.

If it is truly is illegal, what authority should I be contacting.  RCMP?  CF?

J

Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.ca/F-18-PILOT-TRAINING-MANUAL-GLADIATORS-VFA-106-FIGHTER_W0QQitemZ160233312154QQihZ006QQcategoryZ14050QQcmdZViewItem

CHQ - http://www.chqsoftware.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=393

Military Police unless your not near any then go with the RCMP and let them know you feel there has been an Operational Security Breach.

Also you may want to post this in the Airforce forum as they may know the guy or be able to tell if its OPSEC or not.

Doesn't even look a little bit illegal...

- No classification markings
- If real, could have easily been disposed of as surplus.

Just out of curiosity, why do you THINK it's illegal?

Sorry gotta say this..

Even IF someone got a real manual and learned how to fly the plane.  This isn't a commercial plane you can just step onto, take control over and fly.  Where in the hell are you going to get an F-18?  If Billy No-Mates wants to learn how to fly a fighter plane, go ahead.  Cause the only way he's gonna get to do it for real, it to become a CF pilot, or get a bad *** Flight Sim.

Cheers, Kyle

EDIT: What does scare me and I hope is illegal is when you see the "How To Build a Homemade Pipe-Bomb" books for sale on E-Bay.

I'd think it's illegal because the inner workings of most military hardware is at least classified to the outside world.  Documents like this could expose a weak link that could be exploited for nefarious purposes.  I could go on and on - if these truly are operational training manuals then whats to say it isn't being purchased by militant groups overseas.  

So many scenarios can be dreamed up - like a foreign operative being trained to at least blend into the US or Canadian military, come walking/sneaking through the base and know exactly how to disable the aircraft without leaving a mark.

Sounds like paranoia - but then again who could have known that with limited training a group could turn a civilian airliner into a steerable weapon of mass destruction.

J

Fireball said:
Sounds like paranoia - but then again who could have known that with limited training a group could turn a civilian airliner into a steerable weapon of mass destruction.

Well, not totally, and I don't know I've never seen the book so I don't know how much sensitive material regarding the plane's electronics and such are in there.  The E-bay one looks like a children's coloring book though with the pretty cartoon planes.  ;)

Point is, is is illegal?  Does anyone here actually know that for sure?  I'm curious now, I wanna know.  ;D

Can't see the link cause I am at work.  That said, I don't see a problem with you prefering to be safe over sorry.

...FYI - the CHQ website states that the f-18 training manual is 1000+ pages including blueprints, schematics and diagrams - that would be one hell of a colouring book.

J

No classification markings on the book, and the hardware isn't classified. Not illegal.

If you don't believe me however, and it bothers you that much, please contact your nearest detachment of MPs (Either Moncton or Gagetown, though I'd suggest Moncton, they're probably more bored).

Further note, can't remember how it works exactly, but unless it's classified (Restricted, Secret, Top Secret), US governement manuals can legally be copied by US citizens... somthing to do with their taxes paying for it thus they hold the copyright.

No need to get everyone tied up in a knot here.  I thought I'd point out the fact that a training manual is available for a $30 Million dollar aircraft online and wondered about the legal ramifications.  I see this as a security hazard but if everyone telling me it isn't then who am I to counter the argument.

J

Back