• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military showing 'no interest' (Recruitment of Afghan-Canadians)

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Military showing 'no interest'
TheStar.com - News - Military showing 'no interest'
Canadian Forces admits recruitment of minorities may be falling through cracks
Rick Westhead Toronto Star
Article Link

Twenty-three-year-old Ramis Jamali seems like the ideal Canadian Forces recruit.

The fourth-year York University psychology student speaks English and Dari, a language common throughout much of Afghanistan, where several thousand Canadian soldiers are deployed.

What's more, he said he's entertained thoughts of a military career.

Trouble is, years after the first Canadian troops arrived in Afghanistan to help overthrow the Taliban, prospective Afghan-Canadian recruits like Jamali – who are familiar with both the language and culture of the crippled Middle Eastern country – say they remain overlooked by Canada's military. "We really don't see very much interest from the Canadian military in our community," Jamali said.

A Canadian Forces spokesperson says the military doesn't track how many troops speak languages like Dari or Pashto, common in southern Afghanistan, but one Afghan-Canadian in the armed forces says there are fewer than a half dozen.

Capt. Holly Brown, a Canadian Forces spokeswoman, conceded prospective Afghan-Canadian recruits may have fallen through the cracks.

"When you look at Toronto, we have one recruiting centre with only two full-time diversity recruiters," she said. "The problem is there are so many different communities in Toronto that it's hard to cover them all."

Canadian soldiers typically hire local interpreters in Afghanistan, she said. But military experts say Canadian officers would prefer to rely on uniformed, enlisted translators who are subject to a more rigorous security check and can't refuse dangerous assignments.

Soldiers also rely on expensive gadgetry. The Canadian Forces bought $9,000 worth of translation equipment in May 2005 from Integrated Wave Technologies, according to a copy of a paid invoice obtained by the Star. The Washington company sold the Forces a device that allows a soldier to speak a common English phrase into a headset and a translation booms out of an ammo clip-sized speaker. Canadian Forces spokesman Lt. Adam Thomson declined to comment on the purchase.

The dearth of Canadian troops with first-hand knowledge of Afghanistan's culture and languages is troubling, said Wahid Monawar, consul general of Afghanistan's consulate in Toronto. As many as 70,000 Afghans live in Greater Toronto, he said, adding many are unemployed or working in low-income jobs and would probably be receptive to the Canadian Forces.

The Sabawoon Afghan Family Education and Community Centre in Scarborough held a career day in August and invited the Canadian military. The invitation was accepted, but the military failed to show and offered no explanation
More on link

(Moderator edit to clarify title.)

I suppose that Rick Westhead never thought that there may be a reason or two that this is happening; such as a "Residency Requirement" or "Security Clearances".  But, that is the way most Canadians think. 

George Wallace said:
I suppose that Rick Westhead never thought that there may be a reason or two that this is happening; such as a "Residency Requirement" or "Security Clearances".  But, that is the way most Canadians think. 
Not to mention the article doesn't address the issue of what trades they are applying to.  The one person wants to be a pilot which makes her Afghan background irrelevant to the current situation.  As both of the people mentioned in the article undoubtedly want to be officers (given their current schooling), they would not be deployable for a long period and the CF needs interpreters now.

I guess we should have recruited thousands of Yugoslavians, Somalis and Cypriots as well in the past.  ::)

We do not require uniformed ex- residents of a nation to effectively rebuild it.We can hire Afghan nationals in-country if we need translators or people with local knowledge.

Afghanistan is only today's mission. We could pull out completely with the next change of government - which could be just a few months away - and then we would be accused of "misleading" Afghan recruits.

Also - we are a volunteer force. A more apt title would be;

Afghan immigrants show no interest in Canadian Forces

GO!!! said:

Another very good point.  It also applies to all visible minorities in Canada, who are so apt not to apply. 

Yes, we do have many visible minorities already serving, and have had many throughout the last thirty or forty years.  Unfortunately they have never been enough for the PC crowd, who have cried about the military being a 'White Anglo-Saxon Male refuge' for years.  I guess some Toronto Star, G&B, or Toronto Sun reporter ought to visit the Armoury in downtown TO where most of the soldiers wearing kilts are of Jamaican descent.

Strange. I had three, serving military, ethnic language speakers working in my 14 person CIMIC cell when we deployed over there. I'd say those are pretty good percentages.

"National Media showing unusual amounts of criticism of Canadian Forces"

followed by :

"What else is new?" At 23:00. Stay tuned.

I would argue that there is nothing unusual about it these days.  :mad:

GO!!! said:

Exactly.  Who is stopping them from applying?  No one.  If they fail to meet the same standards everyone else has to...so be it.  That's life.  No one came around targeting blonde females when I joined, yet I still made it down to the recruiting centre and applied.  ::)

recceguy said:
Strange. I had three, serving military, ethnic language speakers working in my 14 person CIMIC cell when we deployed over there. I'd say those are pretty good percentages.

CIMIC cells are not indicative of the rest of the CF in a half dozen capacities and you know it.

I really fail to see the correlation here between the recruitment of Canadians who speak Pashto or Dari and an effective military force though - we were an effective army without them, and will continue to be one - why not concentrate on finding quality translators for the mission at hand and cutting them loose when we go to another theatre instead of trying to recruit from the same pool we are trying to convince to rebuild their country?

GO!!! said:
CIMIC cells are not indicative of the rest of the CF in a half dozen capacities and you know it.

Not arguing the point GO!!!. Just saying that there are some is all.

George Wallace said:
Another very good point.  It also applies to all visible minorities in Canada, who are so apt not to apply. 

Yes, we do have many visible minorities already serving, and have had many throughout the last thirty or forty years.  Unfortunately they have never been enough for the PC crowd, who have cried about the military being a 'White Anglo-Saxon Male refuge' for years.  I guess some Toronto Star, G&B, or Toronto Sun reporter ought to visit the Armoury in downtown TO where most of the soldiers wearing kilts are of Jamaican descent.

Ah yes the Toronto Scottish  :D (We have more chinese than anything else).  They (the news media) are making a mountain out of a molehill as
per usual.  I am sure if they were really needed, the higher ups could find suitable people for translator work within the reserve units in major cities.  In fact thats exactly what they have done, because two of our members have been on continual Class C contracts working as translators in NDHQ and overseas (quite a few times from what I recall), pretty much for the better part of 4 years.

Heh... during missions in FRY, the CF did have plenty of ethnic Serb/Croat/BH members within the ranks.  Many wore name tags like "SMITH" and "JONES".... Unit commanders often had em as drivers and would use them to juge the accuracy of the translators that were being used.

Towards the end, the charade was abandoned but, in the early days, what you saw wasn't always what you had

GEO;
That is really interesting stuff, was it ever common knowledge? What a good way to "keep em honest "

Who says Canadians aren't slippery/foxy  when needed ?

Jim B. Toronto.

it was comon knowledge to the Slavic types across Land forces.
for one thing, the CF did not want to give the impression that we favoured one side more than the other.  Having Serb or Croat names on our uniforms would not be understood at face value.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense to use what we have, to our advantage.

JimB. Toronto.

I was born in afghanistan and migrated to canada when i was 10 years old. I recently finished my bachelors in electrical engineering and have been seriously contemplating joining deo program (CELE or EME) for various reasons. From the article it seems there arent that many afghan-canadians in the army. If any afghan-canadians are reading this or if you know of any afghan-canadian in the military i would really appreciate speaking with them in order to make a more informed decision. My email address is ali2907@yahoo.com

The CF is pert much the same mix of ethinc diversity as the Canadian population as a whole.  I know of several pashtun & farsi speaking Iranian & pakistani canadians, who have served in Afghanistan.  They did not join the CF to be interpreters & did not serve there in that specific capacity.  One, a civil engineer graduate served as a CIMIC (Civil/military cooperation) officer.

If you are a canadian citzen, there is definite room for you in the CF.  If you touch bases with the CF recruiting centre, they should be in a position to put you in touch with other afghan canadians currently serving in Canada.

recceguy said:
That brings up a good point, that was as a result of a CANFORGEN looking for serving members who speak specific languages. When I joined I spoke English, Spanish, Swahili and French. The military has no use or interest in anything other than French or English. I no longer speak any of those extra languages very well due to lack of use but it doesnt seem to matter...the military doesnt keep language info other than the big 2.
One would think it would be good info to have? ???

Back