• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Show and Job Fair in Cambridge Ontario

proudnurse

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry this is a little late, I was meaning to post it earlier in the week for anyone that is interested in heading out to this. At Cambridge Centre Mall, the CF will be hosting a job fair, as well several vehicles etc; will be on site also. Sat Mar 10th from 9am until 9pm. I have included the info below.

The source for the news article is Cambridge Times, and I have included the link for the article as well.

Reproduced under the fairdealings provisions of the copyright act.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/cam/news/news_738962.html

Military invasion planned for mall
Ray Martin, Cambridge

(Mar 9, 2007)
Cambridge Centre will be invaded by more than shoppers this weekend.

On Saturday, the Canadian Forces will be at the mall putting their best foot forward during a major job fair. In the mall's parking lot, the usual phalanx of large trucks and SUVs will have to make way for a Griffon helicopter, Leopard tank and other armoured vechiles, military command post and field hospital. More displays will be set up inside the mall.

"Once a year we do a major marketing promotion and this year it's in Cambridge," said. Lt. Stephen Churm, one of the event's organizers.

Cambridge was selected for this year's job fair because of the city's size and because it hasn't been held here before.

In addition to the regular forces, the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada, the Cambridge-based militia unit, will also have a display inside the mall.

"We will be there with about 10 people to talk about the regiment," said Major Charlie Fitton. "This is a natural for us as we have a history in the community."

All arms of the Canadian Forces will be represented.

Along with all their hardware, Churm said recruiters will be talking to people about the many career opportunities available.

"There are more than 100 trades within the forces that people can train for," said Churn.

On a more serious note, several veterans of the war in Afghanistan will talk of their experiences at the mall's theatre during the morning.

The military job fair will be at the mall from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and the Griffon helicopter will be landing at the mall at 8 a.m.

proudnurse said:
Military invasion planned for mall

At least it's planned, not like the Swiss ''invasion'' of Liechtenstein  :D

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/58198.0.html

This is the first time in along time that they will have a leapord tank at a job fair "Well done guys".

Its always the usual table of small arms and light MG's and some light armoured vehilces, this time they have the "Big Boss" on site to meet everyone, wait a go!! and troops to actually explain how a leo works. And a helicpter to boot, now that's planning ahead, + 10 for the people who planned this fair!!

I live in London, so its only down the road

Should be a great show :salute:

I have the day and night off tomorrow because I am on holidays from work for a full week (the time has finally come  8) ) My Dad is interested in going also, so we are going to head up sometime after lunch. It's in my town where I live, so I will post back here after, and give some feedback on the day!

~Rebecca~

Unfortunately the helicopter didn't show, but it was still incredibly busy.  It was certainly well planned as well.  They even had people camming up the little kids, then they could walk 3 feet to the RHFC display and get pictures with the C6 w/ SF kit and a helmet/TV.  The Support Our Troops people were there as well (managed to replace my stolen magnets). 

I had a great time explaining the different equipement, even met with a couple vets which is always nice.  It was great to see all these people interested and supporting the military.  Great job to the organizers, it was advertised well in advance and from the amount of people who were actually interested in the displays I would say is a success.

I just got home after going, and was disapointed actually.  Granted we got there at 7PM, but when I read it is open until 9PM, I don't expect everything to be in the midst of being packed.  My oldest daughter was very impressed to see then number of ladies who were working on the G-Wagen by the pet store.  I hadn't been that close to a Leopard before, so that was interesting.  We were also asked to stay away from the LAV, it had been in an acident, and was quarantined.

Really glad that Cambridge was chosen to host this, but it would be better if the hours are specified to when there will be unpacked equipment.

Nate M said:
Unfortunately the helicopter didn't show

Just a bit of a problem with low ceiling, low vis, and risk of icing in the morning. They launched but had to turn back. Next time...

I went around 5 and it was very busy ... had to go back around a bit later when it cooled down ... overall very impressed ... the Cambridge Reserve unit was very friendly and helpful ... never got to see the Leopard though  :-[

Back