• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Inspired Logo for the Winnipeg Jets

Infanteer

Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110722/winnipeg-jets-logo-110722/

Awesome Logo.  I gotta new team to cheer for behind the Canucks!

I like that logo depending on jersey choices of colors, I might need to invest in one

There seems to be some negative comments about it on that link, personally I like it! Seeing as how I don't really enjoy any other Canadian teams besides the Oilers, I may have to make the Jets my new second favorite team!  :cdn:

And, from a merchandising perspective, once we replace the CF18, they can introduce a new logo and sell fans a crapload of new merchandise.

The new Winnipeg Jets logo is doing more for the Canadian Forces than just paying tribute.

True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns the team, will give $1 million to military charities over the next ten years.

Maj.-Gen. Alain Parent, commander of 1 Canadian Air Division, said it was easy to partner with the new hockey outfit.

"Winnipeg has had a long association with the air force," he said. "Blue Bombers and Jets are both aircraft that have served or are serving the air force."

"In turn, we consider Winnipeg to be the heart of the air force," he said.

Money will be donated to the Military Families Fund, the Air Force Heritage Fund and Soldier On ....
Source:  CBC.ca, 24 Jul 11

I have to say something WRT the Air Force association with Winnipeg. I mean no disrespect towards the Air Force, but Winnipeg's association with the Army is far longer.

Jim

The army's association does go back much longer, but let's let the Jets rule.

Hell, there were lumberjacks in Ottawa long before there were Senators, but . . .

I agree, let the Jets have their day.....I just had to state the obvious!! ;)

They say "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery" and the new Winnipeg Jets logo does just that.  Add in True North donating 1M over the next 10 years; and as a outsider looking in, it seems like a nice gesture towards the heritage that Winnipeg has to the Air Force.

I would ASSuME that no one is offended, but also know that military heritage and imagery can sometimes be a touchy subject if not done with the utmost respect (rightfully). 
Do we now have a whole new crop of Jets fans because of the tie in, or are they still the same old Jets?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/07/24/manitoba-jets-military-charities.html

Some of the comments I have seen (and heard) from civilian friends of mine were mostly positive. However, there have been some stupid assinine disappointing comments about the "militarization" of sports (uh, it's called "history" doorknob) and "something the Americans would do."

Whatever that means.

I despise people that are too lazy to actual do research into something they are spouting off about.

My thanks to the owner/operators: Way to go True North!

Wook

Wookilar said:
"something the Americans would do."

Whatever that means.

It's strange that you say that.  That's exactly (well... similar enough) what one of my co-workers said earlier today.

This after likening the new logo to something from the Captain America movie. 
Apparently he had no knowledge of the RCAF logo or Winnipeg history & Canadian Air Force.

Not knowledgeable enough to know what a Roundel was, but ignorant enough to spout off about how it was just a gimmic from the Captain America movie (his shield).  :facepalm:

Note: 
As I type this, the on air personality of Fan590 (Toronto based Sports Radio) is bashing the logo and "stealing" it from the Armed Forces.  "It's an abomination" "it's terrible".

Back