• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military family's?

ppcla

Inactive
Reaction score
Anybody got relatives that were in the Canadian forces? I am not trying to intrude on anyone's personal business I just like talking about my relatives who were in the military so I wanted to see if anyone else would like to also.

long live :cdn:

You need to explain why you want to know about them? You do realize this is a militay forum where the majority of members are in the military and have families right?

Yes I know, but they can still have relatives who were in the military, I just thought it would be a good conversation forum.

Good conversation about what? You start a thread asking people to tell you about their families, that's kind of sketchy.

Be more specific, maybe someone will bite.

This would be better in the Personal Stories section, but even then, it's a weird question to ask. A lot of people do not like to discuss their military service in any sort of detail, and a lot of people simply can't discuss their military service in any sort of detail.

Alright, I'm sorry, I just know I like telling people about my relatives and how they served my country, and they always like telling people about there military experiences. I wasn't trying to intrude on anyone's personal life.

Yeah, I can guess were you are going with this but you could start the ball rolling yourself. Try something like "My <insert family member> was in <insert army> and he/she <insert crazy achievement>". Others will jump in if they feel like it.

Alright, my grandfather was a US paratrooper in Vietnam, my great grandfather was in the US navy as a navigator for a bomber, then was in the Signal Corps, Rangers, and Pathfinders. After that he was Pentagon security guard for a little while and sometime after that on the joint chiefs of staff, and all his brothers were in the military in WW2 two were Marine Corps infantry and three were paratroopers. I have a lot more than that but too many too fit in here! :salute:

That's a pretty rich history. I don't have that sort of lineage. My Grandfather tried to enlist for WWII but was denied for a blood condition and flat feet. In more recent times I have three Uncles who served, my Dad was a reservist for a short time, my Brother is currently serving, my Sister-in-law is currently serving and my Husband is currently serving.

I bet the stories your grandfather and great uncles could have told would have been fascinating.

Oh that's awesome I don't have anyone currently serving in my family, and there all still alive accept one who got killed by a bombing raid in France. I  :salute: you and your family.

This isn't Canadian but...

In Iran my dad has two uncles that used to be fighter pilots. My dad himself spent his mandatory service driving a van that carried pilots to their aircraft. With some help from his uncles, he was accepted to become a fighter pilot, but his mom didn't let him. Right after the revolution he got out of there.

My uncle was a few years younger than my dad so he was stuck serving during the Iran-Iraq war. He got badly injured when a mine sent shrapnel into his stomach. My dad brought him to Canada to try to find good medical help, but it wasn't possible so he died in 1994.

Too bad that he died, even if it's not Canadian it's still cool.

Back