• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military examines camouflage redesign - Does this mean new uniforms?

Hmm, your fearless, disco-loving, carbine-toting leader suggested to me they were - fortunately for all I didn't notice much enforcement of a variety of things there.  I sure was sporting a beard at the final parade at KAF.

Junius said:
Lol...

Whatever you saw wasn't issued. But if that kept the moustaches off our back... ok, sure.

the CF is also looking at replacing the current 1 piece flight suit for the cadpat 2 pieces flight suits only. We recieved a questionnaire about that and they want reasons why not to. I'm kind a fan of the 1 piece and wouldn't like to see it gone.

Redeye said:
Hmm, your fearless, disco-loving, carbine-toting leader suggested to me they were - fortunately for all I didn't notice much enforcement of a variety of things there.  I sure was sporting a beard at the final parade at KAF.

I think I know the specific piece of kit you're talking about- the CP Gear OTW shirt. Sweat-wicking tshirt materialfor the torso, with CADPAT sleves and collar. It's something the Americans and Brits have already, and both CPGear and I think DropZone have produced CADPAT versions. It's designed to be worn under body armour.

There is an issued version in the works, and apparently there was a seacan full of commercial off the shelf ones in KAF being held for the summer tour (the people who made this particular decision obviously didn't leave the wire much) I've seen a CANLANDGEN that's essentially an omnibus update on new kit fielding for the land force, and it's one of the numerous items of kit coming down the pipe right now.

I know a number of guys who have the CPGear ones, they're great. I wore one for a few convoys before I got RSMed. I very much look forward to seeing them issued.

Brihard said:
I know a number of guys who have the CPGear ones, they're great. I wore one for a few convoys before I got RSMed. I very much look forward to seeing them issued.

Didn't realize you'd gotten RSMed over it. Shortly after you left it got passed down from TFK that we could use them OTW.

Well, I hope while they're at it they will also look at updating the design of the combat shirts. Say what you will about the US ACU Pattern, the design of the US combat shirts certainly look well-designed.

Teflon said:
Son of a B***H!,  and here I just got my new CADPAT rain gear!

Quote of the night!

I want to go towards Bosnia uniforms circa 1993.Combat shorts and kiss t shirts.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Didn't realize you'd gotten RSMed over it. Shortly after you left it got passed down from TFK that we could use them OTW.

Gotta love it when policies change with the tides. Either the Comd or the RSM have to stop this nonsense once and for all. I wouldn't be surprised if the next roto gets the nay for X or Y kit when it was OK (and proven) with the previous roto. Personality = policy, it seems.

Good cadpat is so 2002 , I'm glad we are focusing our resources on projects like this! We are so ******* checked.
Personally I'd like us to go towards design 11, it says "hey girlfriend I'm ready for combat in todays modern trendy environment"
CamoDisplay-3.jpg

Number 10 looks like good camoflauge for Halloween!! Blend in with all the pumpkins and leaves.

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
Gotta love it when policies change with the tides. Either the Comd or the RSM have to stop this nonsense once and for all. I wouldn't be surprised if the next roto gets the nay for X or Y kit when it was OK (and proven) with the previous roto. Personality = policy, it seems.
Would you prefer commanders be stripped of their autonomy and everything be dictated from Ottawa for the sake of continuity?  Or, would you prefer every CO be bound by the policies set by his predecessor (regardless of either's competency)?  Keep in mind that while the good policies may stick around longer, so will the policies that are no-longer-relevant, foolish, and/or dangerous.

Beadwindow 7 said:

HAH! Go figure.

It did find its way back to you, right? I left it with the Sigs dudes in KAF with your name and unit.

MCG said:
Would you prefer commanders be stripped of their autonomy and everything be dictated from Ottawa for the sake of continuity?  Or, would you prefer every CO be bound by the policies set by his predecessor (regardless of either's competency)?  Keep in mind that while the good policies may stick around longer, so will the policies that are no-longer-relevant, foolish, and/or dangerous.

I hear ya. I believe in mission command wholeheartedly, but I get the sense that some RSMs especially (being the main arbiters of dress and deportment) seem to change operational dress standards on a whim, often blatantly ignoring logic, common sense and empirical evidence. Now, once the CLS (in the case of the tac vest rectification directive recently issued, for example) and/or new kit is officially issued, this is Ottawa's trump card. Anyways, off topic, but I am curious as to the seemingly arbitrary ways in which operational clothing/kit (mainly non-issued but proven in combat) get turned on and off at the whim of one or two individuals (and yes, after numerous tours and AARs/lessons learned reports on kit - there should be some continuity to policies on proven items regardless of personalities - or at least have a very good reason to go all RSM on someone).

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
I hear ya. I believe in mission command wholeheartedly, but I get the sense that some RSMs especially (being the main arbiters of dress and deportment) seem to change operational dress standards on a whim, often blatantly ignoring logic, common sense and empirical evidence. Now, once the CLS (in the case of the tac vest rectification directive recently issued, for example) and/or new kit is officially issued, this is Ottawa's trump card. Anyways, off topic, but I am curious as to the seemingly arbitrary ways in which operational clothing/kit (mainly non-issued but proven in combat) get turned on and off at the whim of one or two individuals (and yes, after numerous tours and AARs/lessons learned reports on kit - there should be some continuity to policies on proven items regardless of personalities - or at least have a very good reason to go all RSM on someone).

Yes, the "yes-no-yes-no-maybe-no-yes-no" flip-flopping with RSMs is obnoxious... and potentially expensive.

Brihard said:
HAH! Go figure.

It did find its way back to you, right? I left it with the Sigs dudes in KAF with your name and unit.

Yeah, I got it back man, thanks.

why the f*ck would they replace cadpat, it works wonders for me when im stalking as enemy force, if we end up with some stupid universal camo im gonna be pissed I like my cadpat

stuter said:
why the f*ck would they replace cadpat, it works wonders for me when im stalking as enemy force, if we end up with some stupid universal camo im gonna be pissed I like my cadpat
You didn't bother to read the whole way through did you?

It's like this - various allied nations conduct & share the knowledge from defence research (even the US cannot afford to do it all alone).  Some countries/research establishments excel in certain areas.  If you have something to share then other nations will be willing to give some access to the pot of knowledge they hold.

Amongst other things, DRDC Valcartier is a world leader in camouflage & deception S&T.  This is not about replacing CADPAT so much as keeping us ahead of the pack in a particular area.  Investing in what we have to offer, so that we might get a look at what others have.

MCG said:
You didn't bother to read the whole way through did you?

In particular, Mr stuter, pay attention to Reply No 15.

And please capitalize and punctuate properly, in keeping with the classy and professional forum which we are trying to run here.

Don't expect anything new in a hurry. We wore green combat for 30+ years.

They tried all sorts of camo patterns before CADPAT was adopted and issued. They even made some camo combat that ended up IRC in Tanzania. Imagine if you will, shirts with pockets for an FN C1 20 round magazine and a soldier armed with an AK47!

Imagine if you will, shirts with pockets for an FN C1 20 round magazine and a soldier armed with an AK47!

I can imagine shirts with pockets for an FN C1 20 round magazine and a soldier armed with a C7...

Wonderbread said:
I can imagine shirts with pockets for an FN C1 20 round magazine and a soldier armed with a C7...

Or boots designed for cold weather that slip on icy surfaces.. oh, the irony, Shakespeare would be pleased.

Back