• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Discounts List

jollyjacktar said:
I was in the Future Shop day before last in Dartmouth.  They have just recently started offering a military discount by paying the taxes on all goods, not services unfortunately.  Not sure if this is a Canada wide offer, but I'll wager it will be honoured everywhere.  Still, all in all I bought a new cook top for the boss and got $175 off as the discount.  Better than a kick in the ass with a wet mukluck.

I just discovered this last week when I pulled out my wallet to pay for my dvds and games the girl on cash mentioned to me about the discount. I was quite pleased to take advantage of it. :)

I haven't noticed that here in Ontario, even when wearing Uniform.  Has to be a Halifax thing.

Maybe you need to ask...McDs I have noticed will not give it to you unless you ask for it, even if you are in uniform.

I never even though of Military Discounts.. was not even on my list of "why I want to be in the military." but man, thats a bonus :D

I am not sure if these site has a 100% complete list of discounts.

http://www.dnddiscounts.ca/

For those in the HRM, if you look down the menu on the right of this site, you'll see the links to the ones that apply in Halifax.  The newest of those is the FutureShop one, up to 13% off, excluding services.  The best one I've seen since being in Halifax was the GRC tire one a few years back; it was 48% off.   :eek:  (I just checked it, it is now up to 48% off.)

http://www.psphalifax.ns.ca/

Apparently most "East Side Mario's" will give 15% off for Military and Emergency Services. Need not be in Uniform, just show them ID. Not sure if it is a corporate policy or just store by store, but for sure the one in Thunder Bay does as well as the one in Scarborough. Manager told me it is not used much but they are very happy to offer it, both in the restaurant, bar side (not sure if on alcohol) or for take-out.

I wonder if there is any way PSP or whoever could make and supply to business a little plastic "DND discount available here" sign, like they have at most POS systems to display which credit cards are accepted, etc.

Or has that idea been thought of and rejected?

EITS- The idea has probably been looked at in the past. What would the public image be seeing those all around town? The PR from those symbols/stickers could easily backfire.

Some people still think that CF members do not pay taxes.

kratz said:
EITS- The idea has probably been looked at in the past. What would the public image be seeing those all around town? The PR from those symbols/stickers could easily backfire.

Some people still think that CF members do not pay taxes.

I would like to believe that the public image/reaction would be a positive one.

*hey, look, the people that serve and protect our nation can get 10% off a movie rental".

;D

kurokaze said:
woohoo! Burger king here I come!

I‘ve heard running room will give
military personnel 5-10% off.

Good one, after you eat that big Wopper, you go to the Running Room to work it off.

I am ex Military, a Veteran. There have been a number of times and places where I have asked if they have a discount for Veterans, most of the time, the answer is no.  So get all that you can out of it now.

All,

Just wanted to add a discount to the list that I received via e-mail today:

Hello,

I'm not an army.ca member, but wanted to make your group aware of a military discount.

Donna Purdy is a Canadian portrait artist, offering a 15% discount to military and military families.

For love or service, Donna can create portraits in oil from your photographs. Whether you're looking for a formal portrait in uniform, or in your civvies Donna has extensive experience painting military, families and children.

Donna was a reservist back in the 1970s as an Information Officer with the South Alberta District Headquarters and as a Museum Officer with the King's Own Calgary Regiment. She's now in her "rehirement phase," working as a portrait artist in Winnipeg, MB. Her recent and past commissions include: the late Major General W.A. Bill Howard (depicted as the Honourary Colonel of the Kings Own Calgary Regiment), Colonel Lee Thompson, District Commander - South Alberta District.

Please visit her online gallery for more details and contact information. www.donnapurdy.com

There you'll see a few famous faces she's painted to prove how well she can capture likeness from a photograph, as well as reference photos and final products for recent commissions. She can also bring your favourite deployment photo (or any other scenery) to life as a landscape in oil.

With Sincere Thanks & Appreciation

Kelly Ann Purdy, Halifax, NS

Ex-Dragoon said:
Maybe you need to ask...McDs I have noticed will not give it to you unless you ask for it, even if you are in uniform.

Best buy in Halifax will meet any discount at Future Shop.

dapaterson said:
Best Buy owns Future Shop, so that's hardly a surprise...

I also think Best Buy may be in with Canadian Tire as some are in the same store together, like the one on Cambie in Vancouver.

Mark's Work Wearhouse, multiple barber shops/hairstylists, Moores suit/tuxedo rental and sales, and Black's Photography provide Military/Government discounts when asked for.

bwatch said:
I also think Best Buy may be in with Canadian Tire as some are in the same store together, like the one on Cambie in Vancouver.

Yes here in Winnipeg we have Canadian Tire, Best Buy and Future Shop all within spitting distance of each other.......hmmmmmm

dapaterson said:
Best Buy owns Future Shop, so that's hardly a surprise...

Are you sure? I always thought it was the other way around? Futureshop owning Best Buy?

Back