• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MILF shoots down US spy plane in Mindanao

gillbates

Inactive
Reaction score
MILF shoots down US spy plane in Mindanao
11/14/2008 | 05:07 PM
Article Link

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – Moro rebels shot down a US spy drone that reportedly flew inside the rebel territory, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front said Friday.

Mohagher Iqbal, a senior leader of the MILF, said the drone was captured by rebel forces in the hinterlands of Talayan town in the province of Maguindanao.

He said the spy plane was shot down on the night of October 31 and recovered by the rebels the next day.

The MILF announced the capture of the spy drone only this week after they finished examining the aircraft.

Iqbal did not say whether the drone was armed or had a thermal and infrared video camera, but he claimed that the aircraft has a wing span of eight feet. He said the rebels opened fire on the drone with automatic weapons.

"The spy plane is still in good condition and intact and we will not give it back to the US military. It is now the property of the MILF," Iqbal told the GMANews.TV.

More on link

The thread title had me thinking in a completely different direction........ :-\

Boy you gentlemen are quick. Happens every time MILF is mentioned outside a Filipino context. No worries, happens all the time.

Press release from MILF (Muslim separatist insurgent group):

Spy plane crashes in Maguindanao town
Friday, 14 November 2008 15:26

Article Link

Another unmanned spy plane has crashed in Mindanao, this time in the upland part of Guindolongan town in Maguindanao. Moro villagers reported the incident to elements of the MILF who are encamped nearby. They took a picture of the plane, the body of which is virtually intact and forwarded it to luwaran. This is the latest reported crash of this tiny unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), more popularly known as “spy plane”. Only the United States has these planes, because the Philippine military has none of this in its arsenal.

Another name for this spy plane is “spy drone” or “predator”.

On October 18, this year, a spy plane crashed at the backyard of a retired policeman in Pikit, North Cotabato.

On February 10, this year, another spy plane crashed in the mountain of Marang in Indanan town. It was not immediately known what caused the crash, but local television news showed footage of a villager holding the ill-fated drone, whose wing span is about one meter long and has a slim body and a video camera mounted on its belly.

More on link

734px-Sarah_Palin_Kuwait_14.jpg

dileas

tess

In case you're wondering, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front came into existence well before the OTHER MILF acronym was popularized (in American Pie, I think). And it's usually pronounced by spelling out the letters "EM-AY-EL-EF" as opposed to just plain "meelf", so you don't have to worry about keeping a straight face during briefings if you ever get posted here ;)

CDN Aviator said:
The thread title had me thinking in a completely different direction........ :-\
Ditto! I think its because a lot of us while knowing there is an insurrection in the Phillipines we are not familiar with what the group calls itself. Tess re. replay #7 thats the VPILF lol.

Either acronym, She is someone ILF for sure!

BTW, did someone say something about a bunch of Morons or something to that effect, in this thread?

dileas

tess

Ex-Dragoon said:
True..will she go back to being the AGILF?
And once her daughter gives birth, she'll be a GILF?

Oi, I think I heard a toilet flushing....

What red blooded guy read the thread title and didn't think Mother I would Like to ****.....

All of us opened the thread just hoping for a picture  ;D

Which Tess provided I might add LMAO

I'd forgotten about those clowns in the Phillipines until I opened this expecting some crazy female fighter pilot going Biblical on a defenceless spy plane...

Oh well, back to reality now - guess back to counting down the days/hours until 9D is home.

MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGpeHfybM6Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvVGa-HXYQ

Two from a series posted here previously.

dileas

tess

Back