• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Michael Yon on Canadians, Menard, (violating) OPSEC [merged]

Mr. Yon's demand that Brig.-Gen. Menard be replaced hinted at a growing frustration on the part of some Americans that NATO has put four U.S. battalions under Canadian command in Kandahar.

I wonder what he thought of the IED that disabled a Canadian vehicle that was placed 50 some meteres infront of the  US Fob (frontnac) in full view of their gate security. Ah well, shouldn't tit for tat things.

Lets just stop rebuilding the shit the Taliban blow up and wait for the locals to sort them out.

So after seeing the other side of the coin, Mr. Yawn seems nothing more than a self centered, self promoting attention whore. A journalistic prostitute willing to sell his honour to advance his ego at the cost of causing a potential rift in the coalition, at least amongst soldiers from different nations. One has to wonder why any military would even waste their time allowing him to embed, being only a matter of time before the scorpion skewers whatever frog helps him across the river. It would seem no person is too important to be tossed under the bus, so long as it fulfils his self serving agenda.

I'm sorry, but whatever great deeds this 'blogger' may have performed when he was a soldier are totally overshadowed, and forgotten, by the  jingoistic nationalism of his scribbled, grade school screeds.

Mr. Yon's latest blog on the matter is to the effect that BGen Menard is trying to blame MGen Richards and RC(S) for the incident, which is not my reading of the Canwest story at all. (Use the original link.) Unfortunately the comments are beginning to split along national lines, which might, repeat might, have been his intention.

There is an attitude that can develop in top nations, that no one, no where, could possibly equal their forces in ability and competence. The "colonials" used to get it from the Brits in spades right back to the Boer War and it was certainly alive and well in 1 Br Corps in the sixties, despite all the evidence in the world to the contrary. These days it pops up in the US MSM, with CNN displaying it more than Fox. It often is the last refuge of the under-informed xenophobe, and is rarest among those who actually do the fighting.

Though I've been following Yon for sometime, I can say the faith and credibility I put in his blog is gone.

Following this on Facebook, Michael has had these gems to say:

Nicholas,

Hold on Cowboy. Please find where I have ever praised Canadian command. Waiting...

Canadian soldiers get high marks here. Insofar as hockey, I'm from Florida and care less about hockey than cricket or table tennis. I do care about our soldiers and that bridge that a General allowed to be blown up, which is seriously damaging operations. Importantly, no US forces should not be under command from Ottawa after Ottawa clearly has signaled that it has no stomach for this war. Ottawa is fine to fight in Afghanistan so long as it uses US soldiers? That's the signal. ... See More

Leave the Canadian soldiers here -- they get great respect. Ottawa, however, is not taken seriously.

Do Americans realize we have combat soldiers under Canadian command and that Canada has essentially quit fighting here? Canadians still take casualties because we cannot leave base without taking casualties, but they are not involved in serious fighting.

Michael

Well if they didn't know this, that is their own fault.  It's not a secret, and it's not new news.  And to suggest that we are not committed and giving it our all simply because of a scheduled pull-out is nothing short of offensive.  I'd like to remind him that the US also has an exit date.
Not involved in serious fighting?  Are you kidding me???

Aunty,

No response from Canadian TF-K folks.

Wish to state clearly as possible that Canadian soldiers get very high marks with Americans. (Not sure how much Brits and Canadians are working together; I don't hear much from Brits about Canadians.) The only Canadian troops who get bad marks seemingly across the board (including by Brits) are French Canadian soldiers who have been widely seen as arrogant, ineffective, and in the way.

There is no specific slag on Canadian command other than allowing that bridge -- nearly on our doorstep -- to be hit. But there is serious friction brewing here (and not from me -- I am the canary in the mineshaft) that Canadians are commanding US combat battalions in some of the baddest places (Arghandab and Zhare, for instance), even while Ottawa lays down its weapons and surrendering. Meanwhile, the Brits are fully engaged and fighting. Our folks are down in it. The Danes are out there in the trouble spots, as are others. American maneuver units should not be under command from a country that quit. Bad signal to our folks and everyone.

Michael

Thierry,

I know it! A man could get caught ablaze with some of the conversations. Alas. Bottom line is to make sure no more crucial bridges get blown up just before a new offensive, and get back to reporting on troops, which I enjoy most (except for the combat part). Would have been far more convenient had the generals been American -- during those times when have had to stand up to Americans, nobody has a chance to burn each other's flags!

Michael

The man is not only ill informed, he's a joke.

Just a reminder when reading this blog (or any MSM story, for that matter):

What one "hears" =/= what one is told =/= fact

So far, from what little I've seen, the Canadians say "check with the RAF Regiment, who protects the base" (and not just from the gates, either), and an American has said "yup, it was Canadian turf".  Interesting the call for the firing of one general came pretty early on in the "investigation".

C'mon boys and girls, he's a blogger - last time I looked there was no expectation that bloggers would be informed, accurate or anything much at all except opinionated.

Seasoned journalists manage to mangle the 'facts' in their stories; so do experienced senior military officers who go over there and then share their 'findings' with us. Why should expect more from a blogger?

The guy's popular; good for him. A lot of people believe whatever he says; that's too bad because he is not required to be informed or accurate or even truthful. Some people don't believe anything he says; that's too bad, too, because, almost certainly, he gets some things right some of the time. But, at bottom, he's just a blogger: telling whoever bothers to read what he thinks.

.... this from the Wall Street Journal
The U.S. and its allies are working to create a new American-led military command in southern Afghanistan, a change that will substantially expand the Pentagon's role in directing the future course of the Afghan war.

Senior military officials say the new command, which will be led by a two-star Marine general, will manage all military operations in Helmand province, including the continuing campaign in Marjah.

The organizational change will allow the existing British-led command in southern Afghanistan to focus exclusively on the Taliban stronghold of Kandahar, which the Obama administration has publicly identified as the site of the next major offensive of the war.

Many of the 30,000 U.S. reinforcements currently being deployed to Afghanistan will take part in the assault on Kandahar, the most-populous city in southern Afghanistan and the Taliban's spiritual birthplace.

American and British commanders plan to use the additional troops to build a security cordon around Kandahar to make it harder for Taliban fighters to intimidate local residents or assassinate Afghan government officials and security personnel there.

As with Marjah, senior U.S. personnel are publicly telegraphing the upcoming Kandahar campaign, which will likely start this summer. A senior White House official said last week that the Marjah campaign was a "tactical prelude" to a substantially bigger assault on Kandahar.

"Kandahar city is the home base, the capital city, of the Taliban movement," the official said. "Bringing security, comprehensive population security, to Kandahar city is really the centerpiece of operations this year."

The establishment of the new command is meant to help set the stage for the Kandahar assault. All military operations in both Helmand and Kandahar are currently managed by the British-led "Regional Command-South," which has its headquarters at the sprawling Kandahar Air Field. As part of the organizational changes, that organization will be renamed "Regional Command-Southeast" and directed to focus exclusively on the upcoming Kandahar campaign.

At the same time, the U.S. will build an entirely new command, "Regional Command-Southwest," at Camp Bastion, a rapidly expanding American base near Lashkar Gah, Helmand's provincial capital.

"This is the answer to how we'll array our troops and reorient the commands to meet the mission on the ground," said a senior military official who is familiar with the plans to establish the new command. "It's basically a done deal."

The idea for the command changes originated with Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top Western military officer in Afghanistan. Rear Adm. Greg Smith, a spokesman for Gen. McChrystal, said the commander's strategic review of the war effort last summer concluded that the main military offensives going forward would all be in southern Afghanistan and "that the number of forces would exceed the command and control capacity of a single regional commander."

Regional Command-South is currently led by British Maj. Gen. Nick Carter, the architect of the Marjah offensive. When the new command is established, Gen. Carter will shift his focus to Kandahar, leaving the incoming Marine general to oversee current and future operations in Helmand. Adm. Smith said he expected a final decision on the organizational changes within the next month ....

and a bit more from Reuters:
The United States and its allies are considering setting up an American-led command in southern Afghanistan to oversee operations in a key battleground province, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.

Putting a two-star Marine general in charge of all military operations in Helmand, including the ongoing campaign in Marjah, could help clear the way for the existing British-led command in southern Afghanistan to focus on the coming battle for Kandahar, the Taliban's birthplace in a neighboring province.

"We are looking at new command structures to focus on Helmand. A new command there may be better at setting priorities on the battlefield. It's an option," a U.S. defense official said.

Another defense official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said any changes would be designed to better manage the thousands of additional American, NATO and Afghan troops who have been deployed to Helmand in recent weeks to clear Taliban fighters from Marjah ....

I'm sure this is just a coincidence, coming out around the same time as the Yon stuff....

A commander is responsible for everything in his AO,just as is the skipper of a ship or a battalion commander. I have seen some good officers lose their command for something that they didnt know about. A battalion commander was fired for a BUB that had objectional slides. Did he put the slideshow together ? No but he was in command and got fired. As task force commander BG Menard IS responsible for his AO. I am not saying he should be fired but there is alot of finger pointing going on with this bridge attack. The taliban probably detected a weakness in the bridge security and took advantage of it. As a result a critical bridge is down. As many here can probably attest just because an officer gets his flag that doesnt necessarily mean he becomes infallable. Everyone applauded Yon's reporting of Canadian troops in combat,but as soon as he accuses a senior Canadian officer of not doing his job everyone here circles the wagons. The investigation will reveal  if anyone is at fault,hey sometimes the bad guys get lucky.

tomahawk6 said:
Everyone applauded Yon's reporting of Canadian troops in combat,but as soon as he accuses a senior Canadian officer of not doing his job everyone here circles the wagons. The investigation will reveal  if anyone is at fault,hey sometimes the bad guys get lucky.

Sorry t6, not everybody. He's an opportunist of the worst kind.

Yawn may have the odd moment of clarity, but he's still a jerk. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks so. An attack on Menard is one thing, it's why he makes the big bucks. To give the impression the Canadian troops would rather watch hockey than do their jobs is unforgivable, especially when he implies a soldier died as the result.

Say what you want, but there's only one person that can change my mind on the subject and so far he's not doing a very good job.

When he's had good hits, he's been good, but Yon does not add to his "do your homework" cred with e-mails like this to the National Post:
"National Post" is a relatively small Canadian paper that has inserted itself into the subject of the Tarnak River bridge attack by publishing a story from Canwest News Service. "National Post" appears to provide the latest example of the shoddy war reporting that is contributing to the erosion of MSM.

Two questions ar...e posed to "National Post" Editor-in-Chief Mr. Douglas Kelly:

Mr. Douglas Kelly,

Have read the recent National Post story regarding the Tarnak River bridge that was blown up on 01 March 2010 in Kandahar.

Would you kindly clarify for readers approximately how much time journalists, under direct employment from National Post, have spent in Afghanistan?

Do you have someone here now?

Thank you,

Michael Yon

I guess he missed the "Kabul" placeline in the story he's dissing.

tomahawk6 said:
The investigation will reveal  if anyone is at fault,hey sometimes the bad guys get lucky.
Exactly. So what grounds does Yon have for demanding Menard's resignation?

In any case, the replacement bridge is already in place. This is by no means the kind of setback Yon is trying to make it out to be.

And, for the record, I've always thought he was a douche.

tomahawk6 said:
The investigation will reveal  if anyone is at fault,hey sometimes the bad guys get lucky.
Well, the bad guys sure got lucky with this hat trick: killed an allied force member, took out a bridge and successfully sowed discord between Allied nations ... no doubt they' re having a rip-snorting, hash-smoking good ole' time laughing at the lack of cohesion/solidarity amongst so-called "Friendlies;" beyond the question of who's at fault, the larger malaise seems to be loose lips in theatre disseminating (to blogger/journalist) OPSEC--Gossiping--about internal problems that should not be publicly aired until facts of the incident are established.  Mr Yon's blogging dislike and put-down of Canadian troops is an affirmation of enemy success.

I agree with recceguy; Yon goes too far with the inference that the CF neglected doing their job because of a hockey game. That is completely disingenuous of him.

Been a long time since I posted... This subject tho, damn...

Yawn is an opportunistic, jingoistic douche of the highest order. He lacks credibility as he goes off half cocked like a drunk in a bar. He lacks the integrity to represent anyone other then Michael Yawn. And everyday he digs his little hole ever deeper.

As he is a blogger, no one needs say anything more then "pound salt" to the half wit, dishonest hack Michael Yawn.

Journeyman said:
Well, I'm sure an apology from Yon is forthcoming

It may be coming sooner than one thinks - this, from FaceBook as of around 9am Eastern:
Summary of meeting with (RC-South Director of Ops) Brigadier General Ben Hodges: The result was unexpected. General Hodges courageously accepted full responsibility. My respect for him doubled in about 30 seconds. Henceforth, Strykers will "own" the bridge. Bottom line: problem solved. BREAK. Something very important came up tonight, so will ...give accounting Friday. The accounting will include an apology from me to General Menard.

People are going to give themselves ulcers by getting worked up at this type of reporting -- blogging or official news releases.

A quick survey of history showed the exact same thing occurred in 1917 when the Americans finally decided to join WW 1, and again in 1942 when they showed up for WW 2. Everything done previously was screwed up, and now that they're on-scene, the war begins for real.

Don't lose sleep over it.

As for the Canwest News story, Matthew Fisher is actually one of the few decent Canadian war correspondents, who actually understands the military (he was also embedded with US Marines during the 2003 Iraq invasion).
http://www.cdfai.org/rossmunromediaaward2007.htm
He last year persuaded Canwest News that they needed someone stationed in Afstan for a substantial, continuing period of time and has basically been there since last spring:
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/04/cf-to-clear-and-hold-near-kandahar.html

Mr Yon might bother to Google.

Mark
Ottawa

I enjoy reading Yon’s blog and although I don’t agree with everything he says, I respect that fact that he gets out there to try to cover the stories that rarely get told. He does seem to have a blindspot regarding the Canadian Forces, I suspect that something didn’t go well there. To be fair he has criticized just about everyone at some point, but I also note his blogs nowadays are a bit quick to sling mud. I suspect that constant search for funding, trips in warzones with minimal support and dealing with the various military bureaucracies is wearing him down. I think also he see what is to him clear solutions and is frustrated by what he perceives to be inaction or wrong actions that might cost NATO a victory in Afghanistan.

Colin P said:
...frustrated by what he perceives to be inaction or wrong actions....
Google any one of: narcissistic personality disorder, god complex, or Scott Taylor  ;)

Journeyman said:
Google any one of: narcissistic personality disorder, god complex, or Scott Taylor  ;)
Scott Taylor. Why we recieve his "publication" at Minto is beyond me.

Back