• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Michael Yon on Canadians, Menard, (violating) OPSEC [merged]

Freelance blogger (often embedded with troops in Iraq and Afstan) Mr Yon (his website here)
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/
is effectively blaiming the CF for the death of a US soldier.  Excerpts from this Facebook page (earliest first):
http://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage?ref=mf

1)
...5/2 SBCT UPDATE: some missions are being cancelled thanks to the Task Force Kandahar General who let our bridge get blown up yesterday, killing a US soldier. My mission was cancelled today. Second cancellation in two days due to the bridge. Some 5/2 elements in contact today. All our people (5/2) are fine and doing their jobs...

2)
...Yesterday at 0735 local, a suicide car bomb attacked a US convoy crossing a bridge only about ten minutes from the major base called Kandahar Airfield. The car bomb blew an MRAP off the bridge, killing a US soldier and injuring several others. Another bomb had been planted under the... bridge. This bridge is easily defensible and of great significance.

Yet while some troops go weeks or longer with no showers, fighting in rough conditions with no amenities, many troops on this base play hockey or, just the night before, had stopped nearly everything to watch the Olympics. Meanwhile, a bridge of strategic importance sat thinly guarded just minutes down the road. And so now, the bridge is damaged and large military vehicles and fuel trucks cannot use it. There is no reasonable way around.

Today we talk about an offensive in Kandahar, yet there is a General here who cannot guard a single bridge just outside the gate. That bridge is our LINK TO KANDAHAR. Meanwhile, soldiers who are doing six month easy-tours complain about R&R and morale boosters, while many soldiers who serve full-year combat tours don't take showers.

Why are live bands streaming into here? What is this, an Amusement Park or a War?

That General needs to be fired. Dead weight at the top cannot be tolerated...

3)
...Turns out the commander in charge of the bridge is General Daniel Menard. Have sent questions to his office. Receipt has been acknowledged. Meanwhile, missions continue to be cancelled due to failure to secure that bridge. While troops were glued to the Olympic Hockey, the enemy was closing in on the real goal: Tha...t Bridge.

While some troops were wasting time fixated on the Olympics, 10 minutes away a major target was left vulnerable. If we can persuade the Taliban to play Hockey, or if we can learn to play their sport -- Guerrilla Warfare -- maybe we can score some points.

Our combat operations have been severely hampered. Confidence in this General cannot be high. If he cannot protect nearby targets of obvious significance, what next?..

Mark
Ottawa

In the first quote, Mr. Yon refers to the bridge as "our bridge." So my question would be; "Who was actually responsible for guarding the bridge?"

If Mr Yon would like to guard the bridge to make sure it's safe than he can go right on out and do that. He obviously hasn't got a clue as to how a military operates.

I agree that it depends on who's AO it is, but even then it's impossible to provide security everywhere.  The Police are responsible for security in Canada, so why does anything bad happen?  Because it's impossible to do everything.

It would be unfortunate if the bridge between KAF and Kandahar City is actually "out", because he's right about there not really being an easy way around.  Time for more airmobile ops I guess.

I see the Americans have their own Scott Taylor. I bet he gets about as much time from the US soldiers as ST does from us.

His moniker should really be Mike Yawn :boring:

Just my  :2c:

This guy cracks me up.  Monday morning quarterbacking is pretty easy, I'm pretty sure I could've had this war wrapped by now, but nobody called me.  Nice dig at the hockey by the way, I wonder how many American's in KAF dropped everything to watch the Superbowl?  Fucking tool.

"Cdn Aviator calls for firing of Micheal Yon - Reports too stupid, Oxygen wasted"

Meanwhile, soldiers who are doing six month easy-tours complain about R&R and morale boosters, while many soldiers who serve full-year combat tours don't take showers.

Is he talking about Canada-Canada troops or Canadian and American?

I though Canadian combat troops were doing 6 month tours and Service Support types starting to pull longer 9 month ones?

War is war but come on, Canada vs the US for an Olympic gold medal? That's not a war that's an epic biblical battle.

Chapeski said:
He obviously hasn't got a clue as to how a military operates.
True. But then, he's never claimed to be a strategist, a soldier, or even a historian -- he's merely a blogger. He just happens to have a more high-profile pulpit than most.

I suspect he's simply posting what he's hearing from the US troops he's with; soldiers have been known to bitch, occasionally glossing over operational details, like responsibility for the bridge, if they even know it.

Why once.....maybe even twice....I heard troops muttering negative things about how posh the garritroopers in KAF have it. It's true; I heard it.

Getting too worked up about this blog's credibility -- and usefulness -- is as productive as some no-hook Pte saying "since the US Airforce has shot up and bombed our troops, the General commanding Air Combat Command must resign!"  ::)

I doubt if Menard is packing his kit.

Kat Stevens said:
I wonder how many American's in KAF dropped everything to watch the Superbowl? 
Well, I do know that one British organization downed tools for about 72 hours during rugby involving England, Scotland and Wales.....and there was a distinct lack of US activity during one particular UFC match [that involved Georges St-Pierre kicking Matt Serra's butt -- as a Canadian, I was insufferable for about a week ;D ].

It sounds like he's blaming TF Cdr General Menard specifically, not the troops.  Niiiiiiiiiice.....

Attached find PDF of his comments in case "something happens" to the FaceBook page.

Yon has alot of cred with me being a former SF soldier and he was in the thick of the fighting in Iraq with now Colonel Kurilla,even taking up a weapon to help neutralize a shooter that had wounded Kurilla and had him pinned down. As commander of TF Kandahar one would think the bridge is his responsibility. No US troops were assigned to guard the bridge so he didnt mean it was a US bridge. Dont kill the messenger if you dont like the message. If you recall one Canadian general has already been relieved. No doubt an investigation will be initiated. I do think that Yon went to far in blaming the US death on Menard,who is to say that even with good security the bomber would have gotten through anyway.

Was this the HW4 bridge over the river? If so there is an ANP checkpoint and guardhouse right at the south end of the bridge... so I guess you could say the ANSF had responsibility for its security, just like most of the other roads, bridges, culverts and checkpoints in KC...

Yon needs to shut his yap...  ::)

I guess Yon wont be embedding with the Canadians anytime in the future.  :)

Then again, maybe he should
So far he sounds like someone we constantly call out for being a mouthpiece spreading third hand news and rumours, but walking on patrols with Canadians might well give him a new perspective.

tomahawk6 said:
Yon has alot of cred with me being a former SF soldier and he was in the thick of the fighting in Iraq with now Colonel Kurilla,even taking up a weapon to help neutralize a shooter that had wounded Kurilla and had him pinned down. As commander of TF Kandahar one would think the bridge is his responsibility. No US troops were assigned to guard the bridge so he didnt mean it was a US bridge. Dont kill the messenger if you dont like the message. If you recall one Canadian general has already been relieved. No doubt an investigation will be initiated. I do think that Yon went to far in blaming the US death on Menard,who is to say that even with good security the bomber would have gotten through anyway.

I have followed Yon through his adventures in Iraq and like T6 was impressed.  I've even defended him earlier this year after his first "anti" Canadian article, but quickly find myself comparing his more recent work to the Slop and Pail or the Star.  I guess i'll have to add him to the ignore pile.

Can't we drag him kicking and screaming into the breach, slam it shut and, fire him down range?

;D

The following story by Matthew Fisher from today's National Post is reproduced under the fair comment section of the Copy Right Act. It adds some balance to the issue.

Military rebuffs blogger’s call for top Canadian general to be fired
Matthew Fisher, Canwest News Service 
Published: Wednesday, March 03, 2010

KABUL, Afghanistan -- The Canadian military in Afghanistan emphatically denied Wednesday a claim by an American blogger popular among soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan that Canada's commander, Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard, should be fired for not having prevented an attack on a bridge near the Kandahar Airfield where an American soldier and four Afghan civilians died Monday.

Blogger Michael Yon, a former Special Forces soldier who has sometimes had strained relations with the U.S. and British military bureaucracy because of his writing, alleged Canadian troops were not providing security as they should have because they and Brig.-Gen. Menard were watching the Olympic men's hockey gold medal game on television at the time of the attack and that the U.S. should take over his command before a major offensive that will likely begin late this spring.

"Task Force Kandahar, responsible for security of the bridge that was blown up on Monday, happens to be under Canadian command," Mr. Yon wrote.

CanadianForces Lt.-Col. Danny Fortin said Mr. Yon's description was inaccurate. The bridge, which lies on Highway 4 a short distance from Kandahar Airfield, "does not fall within Canada's area of responsibility for security," he said.

All the land surrounding the airport has long been the responsibility of the Royal Air Force Regiment, a British infantry unit that specializes in protecting airports from attack. Most road checks in the area are carried out by Afghan National Police, while sweeps for improvised explosive devices on the major highways in Kandahar are done by a U.S. army Stryker brigade or by U.S. combat engineers attached to them.

"We are tasked to provide reinforcements in the area, if that is necessary as it was during recent floods," Mr. Fortin said. "We support the RAF when required."

While confirming that the general watched the hockey game with some Canadian and American troops, the game "was over hours before the incident at the bridge," Mr. Fortin said.

After Monday's blast the Canadian army sent explosives experts to investigate and engineers were dispatched to examine the damage caused to the bridge, he said.

"The issue is that the ANP mans two checkpoints on the bridge but if they checked every single vehicle it would be a major issue because this is a choke point," Mr. Fortin said. "They conduct random checks and look for suspicious behaviour and they do a good job. But it is very hard to prevent suicide bombers because you cannot check every single vehicle."

Having the bridge knocked out "is a very serious issue," Mr. Fortin said, because it was Kandahar's main link to Pakistan and a crucial supply line for Afghanistan's second largest city.

Canadian military engineers are to build a temporary, single lane "metal overbridge" in the next few days, he said.

"We want to minimize the time it takes to put it up so there are rehearsals taking place so that when they do it, they can do it fast."

There were ways for vehicles to bypass the destroyed bridge, but because water levels are very high right now after winter rains, going around it was difficult.

"It isolates Kandahar City from Pakistan so we need to fix that bridge," Mr. Fortin said.

Mr. Yon's demand that Brig.-Gen. Menard be replaced hinted at a growing frustration on the part of some Americans that NATO has put four U.S. battalions under Canadian command in Kandahar.

"I can see how someone in the American forces might say: ‘Why aren't we under U.S. command?'" Mr. Fortin said. "But the Americans answer to a Canadian who answers to a British major-general who in turn answers to an American. This is coalition warfare at its best."

An American colonel who serves in Brig.-Gen. Menard's headquarters was also part of the checks and balances that NATO had put in place to ensure that American concerns were heard, he said.

The issue of who commands what in Kandahar is particularly sensitive at the moment, with NATO planning a major offensive in the province later this spring. Additional U.S. combat units are expected to arrive in Kandahar in the near future, including thousands of troops from the 101st Airborne Division.

Journeyman said:
Well, I'm sure an apology from Yon is forthcoming

Crap in one hand, and hope for that in the other.  See which one fills up first.

I think overall Yon is a pretty good guy but he does get his knickers in a knot about Mil rules and ends up doing the "Ready, Fire, Aim type of blogo-journalism.  Can't fault him for hie reporting from beyond the wire, no journalist spends more time on the two way range than Michael.

He does seem to have a particularly narrow minded focus on Canada . . . .  recall he claimed a few weeks ago that the Canadian Army had been "militarily defeated" by the Taliban.  He offered no facts, made no argument, reasoned or ridiculous . . . he just flatly claimed his opinion to be true.

On the other hand his story last week about the seriously wounded Cdn soldier on the USAF medivac and the tender care he received from the American flight nurse was truly moving.  I can't read it and not get choked up and the story was a great relief to the soldier's family in BC.  The family contacted that nurse and thanked her, as we all should thank the fact that the crew that performed that mission are our Allies and we are profoundly lucky to have these professionals on our side.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/from-canada-a-thank-you-to-u.s.-service-members.htm

A story no Cdn media would ever do.

Hopefully he won't descend to the depth of Scott Taylor.

But he should apologize and quickly.

Back