• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Michael Coren: "Caring for Karine"

I especially like this little revisionist gem:

"More than this, while the Soviet Union was a repugnant regime, the Afghan government begged for Russian help when it was attacked by the Taliban and one of the policies Moscow advocated was women's rights. "

Really Mike?  I didn't realize there was some space-time continuum distortion that allowed the Afghan government to beg for help protecting themselves from an organization that did not exist until well after the 40th Army left Afghanistan.

Here's what I wrote to Michael Coren.  I'll let you judge for yourself if I'm just insulting him with appalling English.  I will admit, I was very >tempted< to insult him - particulary over the amount of phallic overcompensation he manages to squeeze into the image of "long knives thrusting at her trench".  However - well, read for yourself...

-------------------------snip---------------------------
Sir:

I am a Canadian infantry officer of twenty five years experience.  I didn't know Trooper Blais, but I do know that she volunteered to serve her country, took the challenge, took the training, and earned the right to wear the uniform.  I didn't know Trooper Blais, but I know many women like her who have served in combat with courage, committment, skill, and honour.  I take extreme exception to your assertion that women should not be in the combat arms.  That is simply an insult to those who are there right now, doing the job every day.

I have lived through the integration of women into the combat arms, and some of my best soldiers, and best leaders, have been women.  Let me assure you they are not with us because it is politically correct.  We don't fight with clubs and knives, we fight with very sophisticated combat systems.  We need the smartest, fittest, most motivated people we can get to take them into battle, and we would be foolish to exclude half the population from consideration for any reason.  Women are not, generally, as physically strong as men, but the days when a strong back and a weak mind were the complete desiderata for combat service are long, long gone.  Not every woman can be a soldier, but not every man can either, and those who want to try deserve the chance to prove themselves.  Those who make it have shown themselves to be smart, tough and motivated to get the job done.  This nothing new.  The Red Army that ground the vaunted (and all-male) Wehrmacht underfoot in 1944 had two million women in combat roles, including some of the top scoring Soviet snipers, tankers and pilots.  History provides many more examples, and I recommend you to their research.

Trooper Blais is now part of that history, and you diminish her sacrifice when you imply that she shouldn't have been allowed to make it.  Karine wanted to be a tanker, and she became one through her own hard work and dedication.  She knew what the risks were and she took them anyway because she believed what she was standing up for for was worth it.  Karine died, but she didn't die as a victim of progressive politics.  She chose to be a warrior, she fought as a warrior, and she died as a warrior.  She deserves to be respected as a warrior, and she deserves to be remembered as one.  I think you owe her an apology.

-------------------------snip---------------------------

And, since I'm posting this in public, may I add my public condolences to Karine's family.  Les mots ne peuvent pas exprimer la perte, mais savent que vous avez eu une fille a etre fiere de.

12RBC Ad Sum!

AlphaCoy,

That is the best letter, ever .... !

The words are beautiful, heartfelt and mean so much more coming from someone with experience.

I see you are from the same Regiment as Trooper Blais? A sad loss for a proud Regiment. :cdn:

Hopefully, Mr. Coren's editor will also see the letter.

I hope it's okay for a civvy to say to you Bravo Zulu!!

Thanks for the kind words leroi.  I'd like to report that Michael Coren had offered some response, but he hasn't.  I was going to write another letter after his second column but - what's the point?  He doesn't get it, he doesn't want to get it, and the words don't exist that will make him get it.  I share cavalryman's suspicion that the idea of female soldiers threatens his masculinity.  It would certainly explain a lot.  In any event he's unworthy of further effort or attention.

I have to say though, I'm very pleased by the solid support shown on here for our sisters-in-arms.  It wasn't always this way, and a lot of very good women had to fight very hard to win that respect - often at great personal cost.  If there's an upside to Coren's display of discriminatory ignorance, it's that it's shown how far the army has come on the issue.  Which isn't to say that it has no farther to go but, as a wise old warrior once taught me, direction is key.

For the record, I'm not 12 RBC, I put up their motto for Karine.

If you've listened to this guy's show ( the 2 bald guys ) on cfrb toronto in the afternoon, you will know he is full of carcas, and will say anything to get ratings.

He is very controversial on that show. He couldn't cut as a presenter in the UK, hence the reason he came here to pull a wool over people's eyes. If he had said that over there, the tabloids would have had him for lunch, you know how brutal they are over there.

Coren....Karen and the others, have more cohones than you'll ever have!  ::) If you don't like the way things are done here, I'll kindly pay your fare on BA back home.

What a whiny crying little turd-bag this guy is,.......how could he actually have written that line?

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/michael_coren/2009/05/09/9403591-sun.html
To air is human
Miffed ex-MP and author Garth Turner skips Michael Coren Show

By MICHAEL COREN
Last Updated: 9th May 2009, 6:53am

It was certainly a first. In almost 11 years of hosting a nightly television program I have never had a guest simply fail to show up, without giving anyone any notice whatsoever.

Failure to show means that more than a dozen people working directly on the program and 200,000 regular viewers were inconvenienced.

I have to say, however, that with former MP Garth Turner I'm not particularly surprised. Turner has been on my show several times over the years, sometimes requesting the opportunity, and now that he has a book out, Sheeple, we were willing to give him a full hour of interview. Rather generous of us, actually.

Last week in this column I wrote about the book, questioning one of its central claims. Turner writes in the book that another guest on the Michael Coren Show, Christian activist Charles McVety, had boasted while on the set of his direct and major influence over Stephen Harper. This was something neither I nor any of my crew heard, even after reviewing the tape, and something that McVety steadfastly denies.

Turner had been booked for some weeks to appear on Tuesday.
When he was late we called many times, usually reaching voice mail but once a woman who told us briskly that "Garth is busy."

We contacted his publicist at Key Porter, arguably the most dynamic and successful publisher in Canada. The publicist was mortified, even though it was not her fault. She told us she and Turner had seen and discussed last week's column and he had said he would still do the show but if he decided otherwise he certainly would let us know.
The program is recorded at 11.30 a.m. An e-mail, sent at 12:20 p.m., eventually arrived. "I was on my way, until I read his Sun column. Have a nice day. Garth." So contemptuous, so little regard for the men and women who work so hard to do their jobs.
Also, so difficult to believe.

We know Turner had actually read the column days earlier. So, as with the alleged comment made by Charles McVety that nobody else heard, is there an alternative world that only particularly gifted people such as Turner can perceive?
Indeed the book itself, Sheeple, does read like an alternative history of the Conservative government told through the eyes of, well, someone who disagrees with most people about comments made, columns read and discussions had. Almost every major political issue is measured not by its effect on Canada but its effect on Turner.

Rather like an MP moaning on the day war is declared that his breakfast is cold.
Even before the book's publication, Key Porter reached an agreement with Canadian Press after the news agency had objected to a specific passage concerning Turner's coverage of their reporting.

The publisher was obliged to send out "notification stickers" to booksellers to clarify.
There were no stickers, however, to explain the incident last year when the Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC) profiled Turner. He was filmed knocking on the door of a constituent. A man answered and asked

Turner about the carbon tax. The exchange was a good one and Turner moved on. The "constituent" later was revealed as the son of Turner's campaign manager, causing enormous embarrassment to CPAC and everyone else concerned. Except, it seems to Turner.
Voters, readers, viewers, publishers, colleagues and even critics deserve better.

Simply, they deserve the truth.

michael.coren@sunmedia.ca

Oh yea, it's because the world is all about Michael. :clown:

Back