• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MGS/MMEV dead yet?

plattypuss

Inactive
Reaction score
Hot off the presses apparently both the MGS and MMEV projects have had requests for cancellation signed off by the CLS IOT to seek cabinet approval.  Links to follow:

MGS http://vcds.mil.ca/cls/dmcs/FilesO/DMCS-36199.tif

MMEV http://vcds.mil.ca/cls/dmcs/FilesO/DMCS-36200.tif

Haven't read the meat and potatoes of the documents yet. Yes I edited my comments so that I didn't look totally (although still some) moronic.

They're requests for cancellation - not actual cancellation documents.  Cabinet has to make that call.

(links are DIN only)

(I tried a search to see if this has already been posted. I think I'm OK...)

The unclassified CLS letter cancelling the MGS  has been released around the Army. The Leo will be extended to 2015. I haven't seen any media releases.

Cheers

YAY, all we need now are the jets to move em around and we'll be alright...

What's the buzz, any replacement vehicles been mentioned as of yet? I thought the Leo's had already been retired, doe's this mean that they will be reissued to the RCD?

Gee, Leslie moves fast.  4 days on the job and a major announcement already...

Any comments on why it's been cancelled?  Has the program been cancelled by the US Army, leaving an orphan (can anyone say ADATS, sorry, MMEV + ;D )?

I know that there were technical issues with it, particularly in terms of it having a very high CoG.  I also know that its death will be unlamented in the Cavalry (can't really call them Armour anymore, can we...)

This does open up an opportunity to re-assess our vehicle fleet and the requirements for future ops.  Should be fun!

With the Hillier/Leslie dynamic duo, we are going to have to get used to common sense decisions like these.

It might be tough on those of us who aren't used to it.  :D

Echo9 said:
Gee, Leslie moves fast.  4 days on the job and a major announcement already...

The official acknowledgement is just now circulating, but several supporting elements (eg: the Jimmy's replacing the radio harnesses on the Leos) have been working the project for several weeks now.

So, a) not Leslie's doing, and b) no M1A2s I'm afraid. 

(~sheesh~ you'd think the Zipperheads would be happy to at least keep tanks, but noooo....want, want, want )  ;)

You mean it's not just about us, us, us???  Just who changed the rules anyways???
Ummm we'll take some Danish Leo 2A5's then, but with a timmies cup holder.. ;)
TM

The new Leo 2 PSO was unveiled at Eurosatatory this week. PSO stands for Peace Support Operations. I think the name will go over very well with our Canadian sensitivities(it's for supporting peace! no one could be against that! hide the flechette rounds in the back of the rack), and the turbodiesel engine is fuel efficient too. Look, it's even got a dozer blade for building renovations. With white paint and the cute and cuddly rounded lines it looks practically harmless.

p1080042.jpg

p10800398gs.jpg

Congrats to all of you  ;D

Now quick, buy some tanks. Then we can keep them for 30 years before anyone gets any ideas...

2015 is quite a ways off.  What are the main contenders to replace the Leo1's? 

The worst part is this will take up more peoples time and careers training for nothing.We all had that feeling in Wainwrong when we "retired" the Leopards there.All those weeks of BS for no value to us in training.

Want to destroy morale?Place guys in a position where they can never deploy and train on beautiful equipment that will never be used for anything except getting a combat team commander a check in the box for his course.

2015 and then what?The tankers are NEVER getting a tank or fake POS tank if these two high ranking members (former dragoons) say 2015.Next we'll have a airforce general with little to no concept of panzer's and definitely no connection to the beautiful creatures.

They were good enough for Kosovo why not Afghanistan? Lets see some refitting,upgrades and up-armour and deploy 2 troops.Nothing says intimidation to Afghan terrorist quite like 105 hesh.

2015.... wow my son will just be getting to age of enrollment and me retirement.

"The unclassified CLS letter cancelling the MGS  has been released around the Army."

- Not so fast.  The letter you speak of:  was it refering to a proposal he submitted to higher RECOMMENDING the cancellation of the MGS? 

Just note how "force protection" has increasingly trumped "boots on the ground interacting with the populous" (you know, that key to countering insurgencies), and you will see the escalation from GWagon to Nyala.......to Leopard.

You're right, they were good enough for Kosovo (all 5 of them). And with all the media flap surrounding casualties, the Leopards will be over in A'stan soon enough. But.....

-will they protect the crew better than a GWagon - yes.
-will they advance the cause of defeating the insurgents through better population interaction and HUMINT - no.
-will a 105mm HESH round do damage to its target - yes.
-will there be many suitable HESH targets, bearing in mind the requirement to minimize collateral damage - hmmm, not likely.
-will they take pressure off of the other vehicle crews by being a better target for Ahmed the RPG-gunner, or Habib the AT-mine-stacker. You betcha. While a tougher target, just imagine the bragging rights of whoever takes out an infidel tank!

But they'll be there soon enough, and who knows, maybe a half-Sqn of tank folks will get to deploy  ;)

(do I need to include that this is just my $0.02)

leopard in a small camp=security

the poor attack on lav 3's= lack of attack on leopards

I know they took out t-55 back in the day (79 etc) but it appears they lack the tech now or lav 3's would be brewed up all over the place.

overwatch in an outer cordon

advancing Afghan's (50 or more)= hesh

choppers+tanks+infantry=bad day in Afghanistan.

If we ain't getting MGS deploy the leopards,use them with the hundreds of well trained tankers out there dying to get that operational tour on tanks.

dam that would be sweet as hell.....up armour....supporting lav's......ummm.....

but i have to agree with you on the antitank mines unfortunately. But I would gladly sign the wavier to have the honour to be a panzer commander in Afghanistan (I would sort of be like the cool crewcommander on the beast....I understood him.

We don't leave the TANK!!!
dam traitors. ;D

Back