• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit boards for D.E.O.

Watch the French news and use the close caption feature if you have it.

Thank god I'm a Hab fan and at least I can understand what goes on in a hockey game!

That is exactly the extent of my french capabilities.

I am not worrying about that part just yet.  I'll stress later, right now its all push ups and trying to get a decent running speed.  My worry is it will be "alright folks, just a quick 30 min. 5km run this morning, good start for day 1 morning PT don't you think?"

Weee.

Taxes, yes......I am closing down a business, quiting a job and have a wonderful wife who does not want to be audited. 

SLT:  7 more months away from the wife may be a blessing to some but a break in between IAP/BOTP would be "NICE".

bw said:
SLT:  7 more months away from the wife may be a blessing to some but a break in between IAP/BOTP would be "NICE".

Probably have the weekend off in between BOTP and SLT.

I believe that the joining instructions the Neri posted state that any Leave must be cleared with the unit (or CFRC) before arriving in St. Jean... I'm sure you don't want to hear it, but you're probably going to have to ask the recruiting centre if it is possible to arrange it.

Ya, I am not exactly sure if you need to be 'authorized for leave' if you just want to screw off for the weekend when there is no training scheduled, i.e. the last few weekends of the course. I am sure they will explain it all to us though.

old man neri said:
Ya, I am not exactly sure if you need to be 'authorized for leave' if you just want to screw off for the weekend when there is no training scheduled, i.e. the last few weekends of the course. I am sure they will explain it all to us though.

You sure do, you'll require a signed leave pass for each weekend.

old man neri said:
Does that cut into your annual leave allotment?

for weekends while on course, NO. You just need to be authorized, hence the requirement for the leave pass. After all they OWN YOU !  ;D

old man neri said:

Annual leave is used for Monday to Friday and not for weekends, statutory holidays or any other days you may receive.  Again it will all be explained to you.

old man neri said:

4 weeks paid vacation wouldn't be much of an incentive if it just meant that you got weekends off... And not even all the weekends in a year ;)

Magravan said:
4 weeks paid vacation wouldn't be much of an incentive if it just meant that you got weekends off... And not even all the weekends in a year ;)

Ya, I just wasn't too sure how it worked if on course. I try never to underestimate the CF  ;)

Vee said:
One lady here joining you.  Got my offer for nurse a while back. Six more weeks...
About the SLT, check out this website, suggests a course begins right after our IAP/BOTP. SLT from  23 Apr - 7 Dec.
http://www.cfls-elfc.forces.gc.ca/detsaint-jean/engraph/cal/cal_e.asp
See you all soon!

Thanks for the link....No breaks except the weekend. 

Hey bw,

I am planning on living with my family in St. Jean or Montreal while I am doing SLT.  I found some info here http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37785.0.html and through other threads around here.  It seems like the biggest hurdle is finding a decent place that doesn't have too many strings or hang-ups attached.  There is also the fact that its all on your own dime, but whatever - far better than being away from the family trying to learn french (my wife is francophone, hope it helps).

Rob

spqr said:
Hey bw,

I am planning on living with my family in St. Jean or Montreal while I am doing SLT.  I found some info here http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37785.0.html and through other threads around here.  It seems like the biggest hurdle is finding a decent place that doesn't have too many strings or hang-ups attached.  There is also the fact that its all on your own dime, but whatever - far better than being away from the family trying to learn french (my wife is francophone, hope it helps).

Rob

Thanks Rob, that actually helps me out as well.  I was told by the recruiter that my wife/kids would be with me during SLT depending on how long it will take since they test your proficiency right away.  But if I have to pay for it all, it most certainly would be worth while.
4 months away from my boys will be hard, let alone another 33 weeks on top of that!

Thanks!
Marty

I was told by a zoomie friend here at the Flight Training School in Portage not to move anyone or anything, especially on your dime.  However yes months away from the family will be difficult. The wife and I have discussed this eventuality (long periods of separation), right now she is good to go, but that is now...the kids too young to contemplate the duration.  They know I will be away but mention a year they just give you the deer in the headlight look.

I have some friends in Montreal who rent out a duplex. This is a possibility, but the rental laws in Quebec are maybe just unmanageable given the fluidity of our future training schedules.

You should consider yourself lucky to have a francophone in the family.  We have some up and comers as the children are both enrolled in our local French Immersion school.  Has benefits, but I don't think I can be considered fluent with a few simple sayings.

See you there,  I will be the one without hair and the what the hell did I get involved in look.

bw said:
You should consider yourself lucky to have a francophone in the family. 
Pour qua?  Bilingualism runs both ways.  After all, we're joining Canada's Army, not L'Armee D'National Quebec.
(Excuse my French)

Because the wife isn't applying.. The husband benefits from the wife's linguistic background, and becomes more likely to bypass SLT altogether.

I hope everything works out for bringing your families up guys. Like I've said before, that you're all embarking on this despite the wives and kids is impressive, that's dedication all right. And though it may be painful for your children at first, they will appreciate it when
a: you show up in to school in cadpat to pick up them up one day and they tell all their friends you're a ninja, and
b: when your dental plan allows them to get quality, uncrooked teeth.

They'll thank you later, really.

I'm definently in for the full 33 week SLT course...oh boy.

Back