• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit boards for D.E.O.

old man neri said:
I am going to put a picture of myself, I have no one else.

Oy, seconding this.

Since this thread has come back to life I thought I'd sign in as well. 26 year old Infantry hopeful, currently in Waterloo. Getting sworn in on the 20th. I should be easy to spot, I'll be the guy with the unpronounceable last name.

Anyone else flying out of Toronto?

windsorftw said:
You guys realize we're forming a sort of 'clique' here eh, poor guys that will be joining us in St. Jean who don't use these forums. 

Are you all nuts?  That sort of talk has already attracted the attention of George Wallace.  We'd be at an enormous dis-advantage once we get to St.Jean because our instructors will catch on even faster.
They might call us the Midnight Push-up clique.
Better to lay low, and reveal ourselves at the bar when we get a weekend off.  (Maybe mid February sometime.)

freeman,

I am flying out of Toronto too, although I will not know the exact details regarding my travel arrangements until my enrollment date.

exsemjingo said:

Good call, that would really mess up midnight Truth or Dare & hair braiding time!

Some possibly stupid questions that have kept me up since my offer:

1. Does anyone have any information about SLT training......looking for a start date after April 20, 2006.

2. Tax time:  How does one fill out the forms or at least sign them when you do not have time to do so? Especially if you are married!

3. ST.Jean:  Do the instructors leave you alone during the transition as you arrive at St.Jean to what was your life and the start of BOTP what will be your life?

4. Where does one go when you are granted leave....besides the infamous bars? HOTEL/MOTEL, friends, family....side street?

5. Holiday: When the old man was in, the military had flights in a 707 I believe that allowed service members to travel without expense.  Do these still exist?

bw said:

1. Does anyone have any information about SLT training......looking for a start date after April 20, 2006.

Stinking typo:::    That would be April 20, 2007  NOT 2006

exsemjingo said:
Are you all nuts?  That sort of talk has already attracted the attention of George Wallace.  We'd be at an enormous dis-advantage once we get to St.Jean because our instructors will catch on even faster.
Better to lay low, and reveal ourselves at the bar when we get a weekend off.  (Maybe mid February sometime.)

Ahh, I wouldn't be too worried aboot this eh.  I'm sure we'll get along with all the other perps in St. Jean and they won't even notice :D
If not ahwell c'est la vie, n'est ce pas?

I guess I should aim for 80 pushups before IAP starts.  *ugh*  Anyonw know a steroid dealer?  lol j/k

At anyrate, IAP/BOTP is looking like it's going to be fun with all you guys, I can't wait to get 'er going.  BTW any ladies out there joining all us guys?!??

I believe I'll be flying out from Toronto, but I'm not certain of much at the moment.

As for the Midnight Pushup clique... Well.. One way to make sure we pass the PT tests, right? RIGHT?!

It's just a matter of figuring out who George is before he figures us out  >:D

bw said:

You said it, not us.......but now we don't have to.

bw said:
1. Does anyone have any information about SLT training......looking for a start date after April 20, 2007.

I don't, but someone else probably does.  Kind of early to be worring about it, is it not?

bw said:
2. Tax time:   How does one fill out the forms or at least sign them when you do not have time to do so? Especially if you are married!

Take some time some weekend and do it.  How hard can it be if you read the instructions?

bw said:
3. ST.Jean:   Do the instructors leave you alone during the transition as you arrive at St.Jean to what was your life and the start of BOTP what will be your life?

The instructors leave you alone during the transition time.  The transition time is officially the time that you leave your front door to the time you get off the plane/train/bus/automobile and enter CFB St Jean.  Then you are theirs.

bw said:
4. Where does one go when you are granted leave....besides the infamous bars? HOTEL/MOTEL, friends, family....side street?

No one is going to hold your hand.  You should be an adult now and able to go and do what you want when you have the opportunity to go on Leave.

bw said:
5. Holiday: When the old man was in, the military had flights in a 707 I believe that allowed service members to travel without expense.  Do these still exist?
No they do not.  Those days are long gone.  Now you will fly on Civilian Airlines.  If you are single you may get Travel Assistance once a year. 

bw said:
Another typo?  :)

Just thought I'd let you guys know, marc and myself seem to have realized that there are at least two course serials for IAP and BOTP going on at the same time. Are the two courses combined or pretty much separate? I'm guessing GW might know. :)

I think they are somewhat seperate because the numbers alone would make it hard to run the classes for both at once.  On the schedules at the CFLRS website there are two scheds for some weeks to accomodate numbers in certain locations.

Anyway,
Tax time:  How does one fill out the forms or at least sign them when you do not have time to do so?
This keeps you up at night...

If the government owes you money I wouldn't worry too much if your return is a bit late. It's really only when you owe them that they get annoyed with late tax returns, or so it seems.

windsorftw said:
BTW any ladies out there joining all us guys?!??

I might, I'm not sure right now, but hopefully everything works out perfectly and I'll be joining you guys there in January.

As for the taxes bit, if you are so worried, then get a form now and study it a bit in case you've never done your taxes.  It's really easy if you follow the instructions. You won't even need a whole weekend to do that, I did mine last year in an hour or two.

One lady here joining you.  Got my offer for nurse a while back. Six more weeks...
About the SLT, check out this website, suggests a course begins right after our IAP/BOTP. SLT from  23 Apr - 7 Dec.
http://www.cfls-elfc.forces.gc.ca/detsaint-jean/engraph/cal/cal_e.asp
See you all soon!

Wow, it's almost as if the SLT is timed to start as soon as January IAP/BOTC is done and all the new 2LTs will be looking to get onto SLT. What are the chances?

The CF has been scheduling courses for a long time now. Have faith in them.

I am already watching French TV and reading French magazines in an attempt to get an SLT bypass or at least maybe a partial bypass. It can't hurt.

I am straight oughta Alberta and I grew up in the northern reserves areas.  I am in for the full 33 weeks.  My plan is to live out of the Mega when the slt starts so I can practice my french in the community as I go about my daily business.

bw said:

I'm going home for dinner!

It's too bad I can't get on the January course. I'm pretty sure my file missed the November selection board.

edit. oops, double post.

Yeah I myself have been brushing up on my french.  Haven't spoken a word in 15 years or so, bought a french book and have been listenning to the french radio stations and such to get a slight jump start...my only problem is they talk so darn fast it's hard to keep up with the conversation! 
Thank god I'm a Hab fan and at least I can understand what goes on in a hockey game!

Back