• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merged Quotes and Sayings Thread; some useful, some junk

D

DnA

Mine
Knowledge Speaks, but Wisdom Listens
-Jimi Hendrix

I like the fact that people either think im incredibly gorgeous or ****ing ugly -Brian Molko

Only the dead have seen the end of war
-Plato

If a man does his best, what else is there?
-General George S. Patton

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. - Martin Luther King Jr

there‘s one by General Hal Moore, that I liked, but forgot it
somthin like the American infantryman doesnt fight for what some president says on TV, the flag, or apple pie, he fights for his fellow soldiers

In the seven years I produced the Canadian Military History Calendar (1996-2002) I accumulated a database of over 4000 cross-referenced quotes and anecdotes, but my personal favourite is my current tagline:

I will not prove my existance. Proof denies faith, with out faith I am nothing. -God

You who are alive on this beach
Remember that these men died far from home
That others, here and everywhere, might freely
Enjoy life in God‘s Mercy
Monument to the Royal Regiment of Canada, Puys, France

When we go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tommorow, We gave our today.

inscribed on the British 2nd division memorial at Kohima.

correction, the first part goes like this: when you go home.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I‘m not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein.

"Fortuna Favet Fortibus "
(Fortune Favours the Bold)
Guess which brigade I‘m in.. :)

Oops its not there but here are some of mine:

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
Martin Luther King Jr.

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

~ This is my all time favorite one ~

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

And qutoing from the Shakespreain play :S the Band Of Brothers part especially :D

I‘ve come accross this one a few times already, and I thought some of you may enjoy it.

"When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes
and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she‘s
dating a ***** ."
- Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

"A good Friend will bail you out of jail...a great friend will be sitting next to you in the cell going that **** was awesome"-J.K.

"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen"-Sean Connery in the Rock

I have always liked this one, I see it every where.

"Please do not eat the large white mints"

Mr. Urnal

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

- Groucho Marx

My sig.

What I think are three keys to being a good soldier.

"The purpose of war is not to die for your country, it‘s to make the other sonofab|tch die for his." General Patton

"There‘s a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
General Patton

I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
- Winston Churchill

You can always tell an old soldier by the inside of his holsters and cartridge boxes. The young men carry pistols and cartridges; the old ones, grub.
-George Bernard Shaw

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

"Being in the army is like being in the Boy Scouts, except that the Boy Scouts have adult supervision."
- Blake Clark

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshall Erwin Rommel

I found this quote on canadiansoldiers.com.. how true it is...
"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag. "
Dennis Edward O‘Brien, Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Actually Keener, that quote is by Charles Province:

HOUSE OF COMMONS, Thursday, September 24, 1998; STATEMENTS BY MEMBERS

NATIONAL DEFENCE

Mrs. Judi Longfield (Whitby—Ajax, Lib.): Mr. Speaker, over the past two days national defence headquarters has been celebrating the 75th anniversary of the department and the 30th anniversary of headquarters.

As a member of the Standing Committee on National Defence and Veterans Affairs, I am delighted that the public has had this opportunity to learn more about the department and the men and women who serve there.

Over the summer I had the distinct pleasure of being a guest speaker at the annual meeting of the Ontario Regiment Veterans. I was presented with a poem written by Charles Province that I would like to share as a reminder of the supreme sacrifice made by so many:

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Thanks for the correction bro. I stated my source, but it looks like yours may be more accurate. Is Charles Province a Canadian? If so it would make the quote all the more endearing. I swear I‘m going to inscribe it on my gun or something when i earn it. My grampa was airborne in WW2. Crazy ****. He never talks about it. He was a paratrooper and fought all over Europe. My dad said he was in a lot of combat. Its men like him that make me proud to be CANADIAN. They were ****ing tough brave soldiers and we get to continue that legacy and that quote is true

Back