• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merged QMI/Sun Media TV News thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Sun TV is approved after all:

LINK
CRTC approves Sun TV for broadcast

Of course it's a subscribe only channel, but at least it's on the air. Interesting to see the comments and scores on CBC.

ModlrMike said:
Looks like Sun TV is approved after all:
Interesting to see the comments and scores on CBC.

Like these.....
Sun TV makes FOX "News" looks respectable. Just another piece of NeoCon trash.

Fox news north, the red necks and morons can plug in thir brains each morning and get programed for the day.

The sad part is that these folks who say such things would castigate you if you dared to criticize the Mother Corp.

Jim Seggie said:
The sad part is that these folks who say such things would castigate you if you dared to criticize the Mother Corp.

No, the really sad thing is that these same folks believe that the CBC is part of the Harper propaganda machine.

..... according to the Globe & Mail:
The former Harper spin doctor who helped advance the Conservative brand is back at the helm of the right-leaning Sun TV News startup as it gets ready to sell its contrarian voice in the Canadian broadcasting market.

Kory Teneycke is expected to resume working at the 24-hour news channel next week, The Globe and Mail has learned.

The odd turn of events comes 3 1/2 months after Mr. Teneycke made a high-profile and abrupt exit from the Quebecor project, telling a news conference last September that increasingly bitter public acrimony over his role had made him a liability to the TV venture. At the time, it was petitioning federal regulators for a broadcasting licence.

Mr. Teneycke’s return will likely give Sun TV News the sharp edge and taste for controversy that was intended when he helped to conceive the idea for the network ....

I hope they have an internet channel. I don't subscribe to cable or satellite.

This is what I am looking forward to (so are others, checking the comments at the end of the piece): http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/mark_bonokoski/2011/01/04/16762171.html

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Comment Columnists / Mark Bonokoski

Harper Tories' 'stupidest decision'

By MARK BONOKOSKI , QMI Agency

Maybe it's the air in Ottawa.

Maybe it's because much of the national press gallery lives in a subliminally gated political community where the pack mentality is nurtured and then contained by a white picket fence so high that the rest of Canada, over time, becomes foreign.

But it must be an explanation for its distance from reality.

A case in point was Sunday's edition of Question Period, a CTV panel show where the Top-10 political stories of 2010 were being "discussed" by five political correspondents with long imprisonments in Ottawa -- the Globe and Mail's Jane Taber and Gloria Galloway, CTV's Craig Oliver and Bob Fife, and the Toronto Star's Jim Travers.

There was, however, no debate, only discussion and wholesale agreement.

People in small-town Canada -- meaning anywhere outside a 100-km radius of insular Ottawa -- must have felt their blood pressure rise when Travers went unchallenged as he described the Conservatives' end of the mandatory long-form census, supposedly the fourth most-important story of 2010, as an "act of public vandalism."

Or when Fife, CTV's Ottawa bureau chief and once-upon-a-time Sun Media's conservative-minded man in Ottawa, emphatically pointed out the 492 Tamils who arrived uninvited to our shores aboard a smugglers' ship from Sri Lanka were "not queue jumpers."

If they were not "queue jumpers," then what in hell were they?

Again, no one on the panel asked Fife to explain.

This is due to being Ottawa-ized by institutional liberalism.

Venture beyond the 100-km radius that insulates Ottawa from the rest of us, however, and the good folks who sit in the coffee shop in Griffith, Ont., for example, or further down the road in Saidie's Eagle's Nest Restaurant in Bancroft, Ont., (which is my rural haunt) would have no trouble calling a spade a spade, and a "queue jumper" a queue jumper.

Nor would any of them put the end of a mandatory long-form census on any Top-10 list. The survival of the gun registry by a close vote, maybe, because rural folk hate it for all the right reasons.

But not the long-form census.

Full disclosure: For 10 years I lived in insulated Ottawa, first as editor and then publisher of the Ottawa Sun, followed by a stint as Sun Media's national affairs columnist, and then two years of self-imposed sabbatical.

Today we live in Ontario's near-north, equidistant to both Ottawa and Toronto, while I maintain a basement apartment in a rather dodgy part of downtown Toronto for times when the office calls.

This arrangement provides the best of two worlds -- no picket fences so high that the rest of Canada becomes foreign, plus a blending of

helter-skelter urban with common-sense rural.

It also provides a perspective lacking by many of those who, over time, are infected with the liberal spin of institutionalized Ottawa politics and explains why the best commentary usually comes from outside Ottawa.

During that particular episode of CTV's Question Period, for example, Fife called the end of the mandatory long-form census the "stupidest decision the (Harper) government has ever made."

The stupidest decision ever made?

If that was the "stupidest decision ever made" by our government, and the long-form census was the fourth most important story of 2010, then what a great country we must live in.

mark.bonokoski@sunmedia.ca

From Small Dead Animals: Llisten to Charles Adler and Bonokoski: http://coruscjobam.media.streamtheworld.com/audio/adler_jan_100941501.mp3

Bonokoski says hopefully Sun TV will be up in March.

Another reason to watch Sun TV:

Watch the appalling video

Thucydides -

Sun TV, also known as “Fox News North,” has turned its guns on the peace work of Ceasefire.ca and all of its 20,000 supporters – and especially me.

How I should respond to the attack by Sun TV? (click on your choice)

Steve, go on Sun TV and challenge their right-wing, pro-war supporters.

No, just ignore them. It's not worth the bother.

I am not sure.

When you click, your answer will be recorded, and you will be forwarded to my "controversial" fundraising letter. Leave additional comments on Ceasefire.ca.

It’s clear that our campaign to confront Harper’s military-funded pro-war lobby is worrying the “old generals.”

Lockheed Martin, the maker of the F-35 and billions of dollars’ worth of other weapons sold to the Canadian military, is a major advertiser and supporter of Sun TV.

Please spread the word by Liking this message on Facebook and posting it on Twitter:

Thanks for your support,

Steven Staples
Ceasefire.ca

P.S. I'm sure they were especially angry when I appeared on CBC TV's The National and criticized Harper's victory celebration on Parliament Hill this week, which included a half-million-dollar fly-by of Canadian fighter jets.

Since Steve is apparently not confident that he can go one to one in a debate with Sun TV personalities, this is a pretty telling admission to how weak his position really is.

The last line is a laugh riot; does he really imagine that Sun TV personalities or Sun's viewers are part of the >7% of the national audience that watches CBC?

Flipping through the channels, I came across his whining.....so I put the TV on the shopping channel (I never go to the shopping channel, but it was infinitely better than listening to Steven Staples.....)

GAP said:
Flipping through the channels, I came across his whining.....so I put the TV on the shopping channel (I never go to the shopping channel, but it was infinitely better than listening to Steven Staples.....)
When there is nothing else worth watching on TV, The Weather Network usually has a few....talented....weather girls on.

Mods, feel free to put this thread anywhere you see fit. Thanks.

Sun News Network is making a do-or-die pitch to CRTC to get basic cable coverage, at a much lower support level than CBC to boot.

This is the only network that represents the silent majority, and will side with law abiding gun owners, honest policemen, private sector wealth creators, and Canadian troops, over the latest in vogue politically correct narrative. Sun has changed the landscape here in Toronto for the better - a Herculean task - and is the only defender against a partisan media monopoly.

Writing a letter, signing a petition, or posting these links on your Facebook and Twitter is a small price to pay for the service Sun has brought to honest and (somewhat) free people of all creeds.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/
http://canadiantvfirst.ca/
http://www.facebook.com/CanadianTvFirst
https://twitter.com/CanadianTvFirst

CRTC - Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N2, reference #2012-0687-1

I stopped actively supporting the Sun when years ago Earl McCrae came to the CFRC for a an interview.  He wanted to know what initiatives recruiting was up to, generic stuff.  Turns out he turned it into an anti war article about how we would bring nothing but death to young Canadians.

I too feel they should be heard.  They are not always right or bright, but neither is CBC.

It is evident that Sun News is unfamiliar with the concept of cognitive dissonance.  How a small government, fiscally and socially conservative and borderline libertarian organ can put out its hand for a taxpayer subsidy is completely beyond me.

What ever happened to the "marketplace of ideas"?

As to this:

This is the only network that represents the silent majority, and will side with law abiding gun owners, honest policemen, private sector wealth creators, and Canadian troops, over the latest in vogue politically correct narrative.

If they are silent, how do you know they are a majority?  :facepalm:

To be fair, this would put Sun on a level playing field with other news networks (including foreign ones like CNN); since the CRTC isn't likely to unbundle cable packages and allow viewers to select and pay for the channels they want (and shun those they don't) Sun is at a huge competative disadvantage under the current system.

From a doctrinaire viewpoint, I would be against Sun being subsidized, but since they are the only network that is being penalized that way I will support a lavel playing field.

As a BTW, the technology to eliminate cable "packages" and select your own channels has been around for a long time, it is companies like Rogers and the networks that benefit from the enforced payments that fight against it.

Regarding the free market/subsidy cognitive dissonance:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/01/20130127-074237.html

The Sun News Network believes in free enterprise, just like Sun Media newspapers do. But unlike the newspaper business, the TV business isn’t based on free enterprise.

In fact, it’s one of the Canadian industries most regulated by the government.

Everything from what channels are allowed on TV, to how much they charge cable companies each month, to the channel placement on the TV dial, is regulated by a government agency called the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, or CRTC.

And the dominant TV station in the country, the CBC, is owned by the government. They receive an annual grant of $1.1 billion.

And that’s in addition to the billions of dollars in real estate and equipment that they have acquired over time.

Stop to think what the newspaper business would look like under that system: A massive government newspaper, with dozens of offices across the country, with subsidized printing and home delivery.

And if you wanted to start up a competitor, you’d have to ask the government for permission, and even to be seen on newsstands.

That’s why no Canadian entrepreneurs have ever started up a free-market all-news TV station.

In 1997, CTV launched an all-news channel. But of course it would have been economically suicidal to compete with the CBC’s channels.

So the CRTC granted CTV’s news channel “mandatory carriage” — it was ordered onto every cable package in the country, and a hidden fee was tacked on to your monthly bill, too.

That’s the thing with a massive government presence in the news media: Unless you root it out, the only way to get competition is with more government presence, in the form of CRTC orders.

Two years ago, the Sun News Network debuted without those government favours. We did not get a CRTC order putting us on your TV set, nor did we get a monthly fee.

We were the one free- market Canadian all-news channel in a heavily regulated industry, where some of our customers — the cable companies — were also our competitors.

How did it work out? To this day, the Sun News Network is only available in 40% of homes, and viewers often must go through an onerous process of specially calling in for it.

Placement on the dial? We’re on channel one million. Actually that would be nice — we’re on a half dozen different channel numbers, even on the same cable company. Try marketing that.

The principled solution here, of course, is the free market — to end the $1.1 billion annual bailout to the CBC, and all the other favours the CRTC grants to channels, like mandatory carriage and mandatory fees.

But that’s not happening, even under this Conservative government.

The Sun wants TV freedom. That’s an editorial belief, but it’s not a business reality.

So, do we pack it in? Or do we play by the same rules as the industry — and apply for the same licence that the other all-news channels got when they launched, and that 21 other companies are currently applying for now?

The answer is obvious, if we believe that more voices are needed in Canadian media, a diversity of voices.

I suppose, there will always be other TV choices in Canada — like Al Jazeera English, which is easier to get on Canadian cable than we are.

And then there’s RT — Russia Today. The first is owned by the dictator of the OPEC country, Qatar.

The second is controlled by the Kremlin. Those governments can compete with the CBC’s subsidy. But real Canadian companies can’t, without a CRTC licence.

Do you think there should be more choice on Canadian TV?

That the Sun should have a level playing field with the other channels with mandatory carriage?

Do you think the same rules should apply to all Canadian news channels?

If so, let the CRTC know. Visit CanadianTvFirst.ca and add your name to the list of Sun supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back