• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mendicino's call for RCMP to ban neck restraint not backed up by evidence: external panel

Be interesting to see if the RCMP commissioner stands by the recommendations of the management advisory board that the government pushed to have created. The government’s own oversight/management mechanism is at odds with the dictate of the minister on this one.

Mendicino would be hilarious if he wasn’t allowed to speak publicly.

I fully agree - the carotid control hold has a place in the force continuum provided it is properly applied.

Mendicino:

clown GIF by Team Coco

Mendicino's call for RCMP to ban neck restraint not backed up by evidence: external panel

Huh, who'd have thought emotion driven policy driven by the events of the moment aren't a good idea after all?

Isn't this the party that claimed they would be driven by science, evidence and transparency?

Or Habeus Corpus? ;)

I fully agree - the carotid control hold has a place in the force continuum provided it is properly applied.
Smashing someone in the head with a brick has a place in the force continuum. The RCMP's current policy on the carotid control is too restrictive, IMO, for a technique widely used in a sport (MMA).

Smashing someone in the head with a brick has a place in the force continuum. The RCMP's current policy on the carotid control is too restrictive, IMO, for a technique widely used in a sport (MMA).
Like firearms or carotid control, smashing someone in the head with a brick is lethal force. The officer must be able to articulate why they used a specific technique.

MMA fighters practice/train more than most cops. Plus, in MMA there is a referee who is supposed to step in before things get out of hand and people die.

Like firearms or carotid control, smashing someone in the head with a brick is lethal force. The officer must be able to articulate why they used a specific technique.

MMA fighters practice/train more than most cops. Plus, in MMA there is a referee who is supposed to step in before things get out of hand and people die.
Yes, I know. Baton strikes aimed at a limb can inadvertently strike a more vulnerable spot and cause death too. Empty hand soft/hard can knock someone down where they crack their head on the concrete and die. Lots can go wrong in a dynamic situation. Carotid control shouldn't only be reserved for a death or GBH scenario. It would be the last thing I attempt if in a lethal force scenario. Seems to me they tried to appease by having such tight controls on it's use.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

Yes, I know. Baton strikes aimed at a limb can inadvertently strike a more vulnerable spot and cause death too. Empty hand soft/hard can knock someone down where they crack their head on the concrete and die. Lots can go wrong in a dynamic situation. Carotid control shouldn't only be reserved for a death or GBH scenario. It would be the last thing I attempt if in a lethal force scenario. Seems to me they tried to appease by having such tight controls on it's use.

There would be basically no police officers out there on the street now that would know of it before it was used as a grievous bodily harm or death response. It’s been that long.

No, I think it’s about protecting officers from landing on the wrong side of a.25. A carotid is going to be hard to apply in real life. Although it’s quite a safe technique if done properly in a controlled or at least constrained setting, there’s also a real risk of injury that could grievous or fatal if it doesn’t go well. A real fight doesn’t have MMA rules or a ref, and both sides are playing for keeps. Limiting carotid to death/GBH is a reasonable policy to prevent force from being used excessively and causing harm that the behaviour may not have justified.

With the wide prevalence of CEW (taser), which every officer on the road should have, it will be exceptionally rare for carotid to be your best choice or even an objectively good one. I think the Mounties have this one right.

Plus if your police officer is 5’6” tall and weighs 150 trying to put a carotid control on a 6 feet tall combatant…

There would be basically no police officers out there on the street now that would know of it before it was used as a grievous bodily harm or death response. It’s been that long.
I recall from my PPSIC that carotid was for D/GBH only, and that was more than 15 years ago.

Plus if your police officer is 5’6” tall and weighs 150 trying to put a carotid control on a 6 feet tall combatant…

Even my little dept. had a written Height and Weight requirement.

I don't know if "Men only" was also written. But, that was the way it is was when I hired on, and for a long time after.

Human Rights stopped that.

Not to suggest those less enlightened times were better, or worse, than now. Just different.

No, I think it’s about protecting officers from landing on the wrong side of a.25. A carotid is going to be hard to apply in real life. Although it’s quite a safe technique if done properly in a controlled or at least constrained setting, there’s also a real risk of injury that could grievous or fatal if it doesn’t go well. A real fight doesn’t have MMA rules or a ref, and both sides are playing for keeps. Limiting carotid to death/GBH is a reasonable policy to prevent force from being used excessively and causing harm that the behaviour may not have justified.

With the wide prevalence of CEW (taser), which every officer on the road should have, it will be exceptionally rare for carotid to be your best choice or even an objectively good one. I think the Mounties have this one right.

I would actually think LEOs would be at a disadvantage in a scuffle. Restrictive uniform, vest, and duty belt that batman would be jealous of vs a drunk person in shorts and a t-shirt.

I totally get why they dog pile guys. Makes complete sense.

Back