• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Member of Canadian Forces Arrested in incident at Rideau Hall

I get his frustration with JT and the Liberals, but it's pretty clear doing something like this has consequences and he has gotten off pretty lightly considering.

That much Fed time is nothing to sneeze at. He’s likely seen as having high potential for rehabilitation, which isn’t unreasonable.

They threw the book at him so to speak to deter anyone else.
Yet every day career criminals get a slap on the wrist for murder, carrying guns, using guns smuggling guns, drug trafficking break and enters, and the list goes on and on and on. Very few times does the crown seek financial penalties for damages.

He messed up and did something totally stupid, to me it is a bit frustrating to see a person who was doing things right to feel he is in the corner to consider doing something like this. Hopefully when he gets out things go better for him.

They threw the book at him so to speak to deter anyone else.
Yet every day career criminals get a slap on the wrist for murder, carrying guns, using guns smuggling guns, drug trafficking break and enters, and the list goes on and on and on. Very few times does the crown seek financial penalties for damages.

He messed up and did something totally stupid, to me it is a bit frustrating to see a person who was doing things right to feel he is in the corner to consider doing something like this. Hopefully when he gets out things go better for him.
The sentence was appropriately aggravated by his motivations. The judge’s reasons for sentencing are posted on CanLII: https://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/2021/2021oncj148/2021oncj148.html

Paragraph 46 of the sentencing neatly sums up the major considerations:

Corey Hurren committed a politically motivated armed assault intended to intimidate Canada’s elected government. He rammed his truck into the gates protecting the residences of the Governor General and the Prime Minister, then armed himself with loaded guns and strode onto the grounds, with the stated purpose of targeting the Prime Minister. Mr. Hurren carefully planned his actions, and he committed them for the purpose of bringing attention to his political views. He forced his way onto the grounds of Prime Minister Trudeau’s residence, intending to have a confrontation. This was an armed aggression against the government which must be denounced in the strongest terms.

He did the worst thing a criminal can do......he got publicity.

He meant to assassinate a public figure or at least scare the bee jessus out of him. And YOU think he's been hard done by? He has not. He is very lucky actually.
In proportion to sentences being handed out to gun smugglers, drug dealers, murders, firearm offences, assaults B&Es yes
I never said he was hard done by those are your words.
This does not change that his sentence is harsh compared to other crime, if you review all that actually happened is a couple firearm offences, a broken gate some threatening words then the total sentence is pretty severe
This sentence has political agenda all over it, had it not been related to covid restrictions, had it not do to with firearms restrictions imposed by the current government I doubt his sentence would have been as harsh.

This sentence has political agenda all over it, had it not been related to covid restrictions, had it not do to with firearms restrictions imposed by the current government I doubt his sentence would have been as harsh.

It seems the judge takes direct assaults against government officials and institutions seriously.

This was an armed aggression against the government which must be denounced in the strongest terms.

Same as in the US with the trails stemming from the storming of Capitol Hill. I don't think anyone has used the defence that 'they could never realistically overthrow the government - they just frustrated'.

It seems the judge takes direct assaults against government officials and institutions seriously.
lol only when it goes against their own leader.
Yet Jt, Snc Lavlin to name two are all free, they have committed some pretty grievous actions against our institutions and those of our allies. Have been found not chargeable, slap on the wrist and or special investigation by themselves against themselves ruled not serious and or no actual penalty to deter their actions.
You can believe what you want and how you want, but if you spend the time going through cases here in Canada about assault, firearms, major crimes it will make your head spin at the slap on the wrists people get.
Compare that to this guy who messed up bad, then the 'convoy protesters and supporters" who all publicly denounced Jt and his ideologies have suffered more in terms of jail time, financial implications then one can comprehend in comparison to repeat criminals who get slaps on the wrist for much more serious crimes. Add to that Jt and his close group support of more then a few terrorist organizations It can make one wonder what is really going on.
The fact that CSIS officially mentioned the Chinese political interference back in 2019ish and a few times since, nothing was done by the current government. Now a leak of the concern happens again by CISIS and Jt disregards the information and wants to know who made the leak says volumes. The fact that Jt denied, denied and denied, then tried to ignore the information, then tried to downplay the information, Refused to do anything about it, Now has to investigate himself once again should speak volumes to everyone. Don't say anything bad about Jt and his group or you will suffer the wrath of the law.

But taking a perspective that not everyone agrees with will result in being placed on a list somewhere and being reported by someone else.

Same as in the US with the trails stemming from the storming of Capitol Hill. I don't think anyone has used the defence that 'they could never realistically overthrow the government - they just frustrated'.

Yet Jt, Snc Lavlin to name two are all free, they have committed some pretty grievous actions against our institutions and those of our allies. Have been found not chargeable, slap on the wrist and or special investigation by themselves against themselves ruled not serious and or no actual penalty to deter their actions.
You can believe what you want and how you want, but if you spend the time going through cases here in Canada about assault, firearms, major crimes it will make your head spin at the slap on the wrists people get.
Compare that to this guy who messed up bad, then the 'convoy protesters and supporters" who all publicly denounced Jt and his ideologies have suffered more in terms of jail time, financial implications then one can comprehend in comparison to repeat criminals who get slaps on the wrist for much more serious crimes. Add to that Jt and his close group support of more then a few terrorist organizations It can make one wonder what is really going on.
The fact that CSIS officially mentioned the Chinese political interference back in 2019ish and a few times since, nothing was done by the current government. Now a leak of the concern happens again by CISIS and Jt disregards the information and wants to know who made the leak says volumes. The fact that Jt denied, denied and denied, then tried to ignore the information, then tried to downplay the information, Refused to do anything about it, Now has to investigate himself once again should speak volumes to everyone. Don't say anything bad about Jt and his group or you will suffer the wrath of the law.

But taking a perspective that not everyone agrees with will result in being placed on a list somewhere and being reported by someone else.
Excuse me but stick to the topic. This fellow possibly could have murdered an elected official and no matter how much you disagree with system or the politician this is an affront to all of us.

In proportion to sentences being handed out to gun smugglers, drug dealers, murders, firearm offences, assaults B&Es yes
I never said he was hard done by those are your words.
This does not change that his sentence is harsh compared to other crime, if you review all that actually happened is a couple firearm offences, a broken gate some threatening words then the total sentence is pretty severe

What actually happened was someone planned and carried out an act of violence for a political purpose. To my unlearned mind that falls within the definition of terrorism. Any "political agenda" (and it would be a stretch to lay it at the feet of any elected official) with regard to his charges and subsequent sentencing was probably to avoid imposing that label and the public discussion that would follow. This turd got off easy.

I’ll break it down really simple for you.

A guy smashed his truck through a fence where the Governor General and Prime Minister of Canada both live. He went in with a bunch of guns to try to take the Prime Minister hostage. The Prime Minister is head of our government, so even if you don’t like him, that’s a really bad thing to do and it’s not allowed. Luckily, the criminal got caught by a few really switched on police, and eventually surrendered. Nobody ended up dead, but that could easily have been different. He did all this because he’s angry at the government, but that’s not how we solve our problems here.

There are a lot of other things you can be mad about, and that’s fine. But being mad about something else doesn’t change the simple facts of this. The judge passed a reasonable sentence within the range of what other criminals have gotten, tailored to how unique this particular crime was.

Were his actions stupid? Obviously. But characterizing them as merely “stupid” or “foolish” buries the really ugly and malignant political violence of what he tried to do that day. It was an attack, however amateurish and ill conceived, against the peaceful and lawful governance of our country. I’d be curious to know what thinking went into what he was and wasn’t charged with. I think he’s very lucky that he wasn’t charged with more serious offences than he was.

Excuse me but stick to the topic. This fellow possibly could have murdered an elected official and no matter how much you disagree with system or the politician this is an affront to all of us.
But did he murder a elected official?

What actually happened was someone planned and carried out an act of violence for a political purpose. To my unlearned mind that falls within the definition of terrorism.
He wasn't charged with Terrorism, that point is null and void
I am pretty certain he did what he did out of desperation on the verge of loosing everything he worked for. He had a mental break down and thought this was the way to get word out that he and many others were at the end of their rope so to speak. He went about totally wrong, but in proportion of other offences by criminals he was hit pretty hard with his sentence.
Any "political agenda" (and it would be a stretch to lay it at the feet of any elected official) with regard to his charges and subsequent sentencing was probably to avoid imposing that label and the public discussion that would follow. This turd got off easy.
Can you provide me with a definition of terrorism under the Criminal Code of Canada?

I’ll break it down really simple for you.

A guy smashed his truck through a fence where the Governor General and Prime Minister of Canada both live. He went in with a bunch of guns to try to take the Prime Minister hostage. The Prime Minister is head of our government, so even if you don’t like him, that’s a really bad thing to do and it’s not allowed. Luckily, the criminal got caught by a few really switched on police, and eventually surrendered. Nobody ended up dead, but that could easily have been different. He did all this because he’s angry at the government, but that’s not how we solve our problems here.
I dont disagree with this.
There are a lot of other things you can be mad about, and that’s fine. But being mad about something else doesn’t change the simple facts of this. The judge passed a reasonable sentence within the range of what other criminals have gotten, tailored to how unique this particular crime was.
I agree but only if this same level of sentencing was being done across the board on current sentencing of other serious crimes.
Were his actions stupid? Obviously. But characterizing them as merely “stupid” or “foolish” buries the really ugly and malignant political violence of what he tried to do that day. It was an attack, however amateurish and ill conceived, against the peaceful and lawful governance of our country. I’d be curious to know what thinking went into what he was and wasn’t charged with. I think he’s very lucky that he wasn’t charged with more serious offences than he was.
Because it would have been hard to charge him with anything more then what he actually did did.
He did not actually harm anyone, scared them yes. But he did not gun anyone down. He caused some property damage, had some illegal firearms and made some threatening statements.
Reading his Metal Health Report was interesting, the talk of him knowing his wrong doings, but has to take medication as a condition of his sentence is interesting to say.

I dont disagree with this.

I agree but only if this same level of sentencing was being done across the board on current sentencing of other serious crimes.

Because it would have been hard to charge him with anything more then what he actually did did.
He did not actually harm anyone, scared them yes. But he did not gun anyone down. He caused some property damage, had some illegal firearms and made some threatening statements.
Reading his Metal Health Report was interesting, the talk of him knowing his wrong doings, but has to take medication as a condition of his sentence is interesting to say.
I hear the overall gyst of what you’re saying, I think…

The criminal justice system is extremely inconsistent across the board when it comes to sentencing. I’ve interacted with career criminals with a rap sheet a mile long, who have never stepped foot in a jail.

On the other hand I was interviewing an individual just last week who’s currently remanded for violating a ‘No Contact Order’ despite an extremely valid reason to do so, and has no criminal history to speak of

Does it make sense? Nope. Do I understand why people get confused and/or frustrated? Yupp.

In this particular case, the individual parts of the case aren’t necessarily what got home the sentence that he got. It’s the overall narrative that he had intent on threatening a head of state and taking a head of state hostage - all serious enough regardless of who the hostage is, but especially when it’s the leader of a G7 country.

The court has to factor several things into a sentence, but deterrence of future similar offences by people considering it has to be a big one in this case, for obvious reasons.

(For what it’s worth, I believe Trudeau should absolutely be in jail, and I don’t understand how he hasn’t been formally investigated by the powers at be. He fired our attorney general for advising him not to change the law because his SNC Lavalin pals had broken it, he lied to Parliament all the time, has openly accepted bribes, has been in violation of the ethics laws time & time again, etc etc. Just recently, he bluntly stated that he had NOT been briefed about Chinese meddling in our last election after being asked dozens of times, only to have it turn out…he actually was briefed! He’s the only PM in history to introduce internet censorship legislation, he lied multiple times about the invokation of the Emergencies Act, and has deliberately crippled some of the country’s key industries.)

(The guy is pure scum. But even with that being said, he’s a world leader & a head of state, so the book needs to be thrown at whoever tried to take him out - even if the guy had valid reasons to dislike him.)

I know that I am not confused. I can accept that the PM is our government leader, but any laws I am looking at has the crown, through the GG as our head of state. Despite what occurs in daily practice.

When legal decisions can revolve around accurate punctuation, the semantics on who the head of state matters.

Copyright "The use of intimidation, threats of, and or actual violence to achieve a political aim are the sole right and intellectual property of the Government of Canada. Any use of such means by any or all private citizens in Canada is strictly prohibited." :cool:

Couldn't help myself, go easy.

Back