• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Complications

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I've got a little story for you all. Sit round,  and don't interrupt!  :D

I'm going on my 3rd year in the PRes, as Armoured Recce for starters. I was on my DP2 course at the beginning of the year, and shattered my hand in a slight conflict of interests (the interest being the impact between my hand and a face). From that, i sustained a break in my 4th and 5th Metacarpals (the large section of bones connecting my pinky and ring finger to my wrist). Suffice to say, that put me out of commission for quite a good amount of time, causing me to terminate my attendance on course, and even drop a class in Civi World. After lots of different attempts, they decided to operate. I now have a small titanium pin in my 4th metacarpal (it goes 1-5 starting from your thumb btw) and my 5th has healed with a slight deformity, causing my knuckle to retract a bit and the bone to jut up slightly. Although its certainly a sight to see, its made a 99% full recovery and I'm back in doing everything i was doing prior. i will finally have graduated High School this January, am slotted for my DP2 course this February, and am back in competitive Jiu-Jitsu and avidly working out with both a free-weight and fairly decent cardiovascular routine.

So now that we're all caught up and on the same page (I know i know, this is long, but bear with me... I'm going somewheres with this) i can proceed to the purpose of making this thread.

I am incredibly interested in Flight Engineer as my first choice, and AVN Tech as my second when i put forth my component/re-muster papers once graduated. My question is, what exactly does the medical requirements say about implants? I can have the pin removed, but would certainly prefer to leave it as is unless i absolutely have to. Maybe someone can pull something out of the "recruiting bible" as was mentioned in another thread...  ;)

I'm perfectly healthy, other than an almost non-existant heart murmur which has already been cleared before by my doctor and CFRC as a no issue factor. My hand is the only grey area, and I'm dead set on the AirForce as a career.

Secondly, I understand that it is a 4 year minimum requirement of prior service to re-muster into the Flight Engineer trade. Would I be a fool to re-muster into AVN Tech for a year, obtain my 4th year, and then take a leap into Flight Engineering? Would doing so classify me as an "administrative burden", or simply a waste of funds seeing as I would have began AVN tech training, and then left just as quick?

To be totally honest, I'm not sure how smart working a civi job and continuing with the Reserves for a year would be, seeing as I'm already 19 and in a bit of a fix to get out of my house (both at the encouragement of myself and my frustrated parents)  ::)

Any advice, knowledge or past experience to hand off would be greatly appreciated. The fact that you've read this far is appreciated in itself  ;D

Sh0rtbUs said:
Well, I've got a little story for you all. Sit round,  and don't interrupt!  :D

[snip]...

I am incredibly interested in Flight Engineer as my first choice, and AVN Tech as my second when i put forth my component/re-muster papers once graduated. My question is, what exactly does the medical requirements say about implants? I can have the pin removed, but would certainly prefer to leave it as is unless i absolutely have to. Maybe someone can pull something out of the "recruiting bible" as was mentioned in another thread...  ;)

I'm perfectly healthy, other than an almost non-existant heart murmur which has already been cleared before by my doctor and CFRC as a no issue factor. My hand is the only grey area, and I'm dead set on the AirForce as a career.

I don't "think" that having a pin should affect the "air facotr" of your medical category...I have fellow pilots who are "pinned" and they are still (or could be were it not for the BD4D they sit behind) flying.

Sh0rtbUs said:
Secondly, I understand that it is a 4 year minimum requirement of prior service to re-muster into the Flight Engineer trade. Would I be a fool to re-muster into AVN Tech for a year, obtain my 4th year, and then take a leap into Flight Engineering? Would doing so classify me as an "administrative burden", or simply a waste of funds seeing as I would have began AVN tech training, and then left just as quick?

At first I didn't understand what you were asking here but I think I've got it, correct me if I'm wrong here...I believe you need 4 years IN A MOC 500 trade (AVN, AVS, ACS) before you can remeuster to FE, your reserve time won't count.  FE candiadates must by type qualified on an aircraft (can't recall the exact wording, but that's thie gist of it) and pass an aircrew medical to apply to the process.  Then it's off to Borden for a year and a bit of tech course, onwards to type rating (which means the majority of guys will go to St-Hubert to train at 438 ETAH FTTF for tech training on the CH146 Griffon, some to Sea King in Shearwater), then on to squadrons for OJT, down to Gagetown for basic operational type training, then back to the squadron for unit checkouts and practice before being operationally type rated and employed as a "solo" FE.

Cheers,
Duey

Ok, thanks Duey, I stand corrected. Thank you for clearing up the Flight Engineer question especially!

Does that 4 years in a 500 trade begin the second you are entered on your initial course, or when you are qualified and have been employed as an AVN Tech?

Sh0rtbUs said:
Ok, thanks Duey, I stand corrected. Thank you for clearing up the Flight Engineer question especially!

Does that 4 years in a 500 trade begin the second you are entered on your initial course, or when you are qualified and have been employed as an AVN Tech?

ShOrtbUs, I will tell you I don't know for sure, but I would say it would start from when you commence your MOC 500 training...IIRC, it takes about 1 1/2 years before you get your qualification level 2 (QL2) which still does not allow you to conduct work on an operational aircraft.  I'll try to find out but I'm about 9,000 km from my nearest sqn mates.  If any 091's want to chime in about the MOC 500 reqr and FE occupational transfer information, feel free.

Cheers,
Duey

Back