• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media respect for the fallen & thier families

I've now had a day to chill out, so will try again to state my position.

I do not have an issue with the fact this is news, and that it will be covered. My main issues with yesterday is as follows:

Scenario:

My wife gets "caught" going to Canex on the day a Canadian soldier has been killed, but before the name has been released. She is asked to comment, perhaps before even having heard of the death, and does. She then comes home with the groceries and sees there is a message waiting on the answering machine. The message is from her best friend, and the fallen soldier was this ladies husband.

How might my wife's comments have been different had she known who was killed? You do the math.

If the media wants/needs a sound bite, fine. That's what the PAFFO and Chain of Command are for. In my opinion, the ambushing of civilians who may have a very close link to the fallen's family (prior to their being informed), is just not on.

2 cents from me

i have to agree with you said, offical sound bits are what they should run, not be asking people on the street, till offical names are released. Bad tastes runs in the media and not jsut in the US , Canadian Media is following the bigger the noise the better the ratings

Journalism Canon #964 - Thou shalt solicit comments on how people feel about a tragedy or issue, even if they don't know about said tragedy or or issue.

Journalism Canon #964a - If thou delivers bad news to someone you seek comment from under 964, thou can include the fact in the story.  "When told about the tragedy, here's what these people had to say...."

Journalism Canon #965 - Thou shalt not speak to a spokesperson when you can talk to a "real person". Spokesperson speak for the bosses of the group in question, not for the people involved.  A Spokesperson may be hiding something, or won't be allowed to discuss personal feelings or opinions about the organization s/he works for, but "real people" are more likely to speak their minds.

Thus speaketh the journalism teachers.....

on guard for thee said:
Scenario:

My wife gets "caught" going to Canex on the day a Canadian soldier has been killed, but before the name has been released. She is asked to comment, perhaps before even having heard of the death, and does.

Not to make matters worse, but perhaps you should sit down with your wife (and this is for all spouses) and talk over some of the rules you have for talking to the press.  You are briefed at work at what you should or should not say to the press and how to deal with them, but your spouse is not.  That doesn't help the situation much does it, and leaves your spouse in an awkward situation at times.

GW - +1

As a professional communicator myself, one of my jobs is to help people come up with general media lines in all sorts of situations, and I imagine the "Veritas" folks have a lot of people doing the same thing.  Depending on the comfort level of the spouse involved, I presume there's nothing wrong with getting some general "command messaging" from the PAff folks for ANY family member to use as a default if there's nothing else to say, or they don't know what to say because they're wrenched with grief.

Then there's always the, "if you don't say anything, they can't misquote you" approach.... ;)

George Wallace said:
Not to make matters worse, but perhaps you should sit down with your wife (and this is for all spouses) and talk over some of the rules you have for talking to the press.  You are briefed at work at what you should or should not say to the press and how to deal with them, but your spouse is not.  That doesn't help the situation much does it, and leaves your spouse in an awkward situation at times.

Agreed...I wish someone had been around to advise the girlfriend of the guy from Thunder Bay before the Press got a hold of her. They basically descended on her and got her raw first reactions before she had time to do a think about things....IMHO. It was terribly insensitive of them and I think she made some comments that did a bit of damage to his honour. The media are vultures for the most part. :mad:

My opinion still stands...the media were able to turn the success of this operation into a defeat.

I'm just glad they weren't like this during World War II.

Well,  next time I see a news report showing a person who has been ambushed by the media because of some sad thing,  I'll fire off a nasty e-mail to the producer.  I think that if more than than people start writing those types of e-mails tactics will change.  Am I wrong?

Though I'm fully expecting to get piled on here --

I'm a TV reporter [see the profile for details]. Just as I wouldn't presume that one CF member's behaviours and attitudes are typical of all CF members, I trust you'll recognize that all journalists behave and act in different ways. Here's my story.

I was assigned to Petawawa yesterday.

I left Ottawa at 11 am.  At that time, the base in Kandahar is under lockdown.  All my colleague there could tell us before his communications were disconnected was that it was "big". As he is forbidden to provide any other details, we put two and two together at this end and assume 'big' means that some CF members may have been hurt or killed. As we know that the casualties would likely come from Petawawa or Shio, my network dispatched reporters to both bases.

I arrived at Petawawa shortly after 1 pm. My crew and I parked outside the main gate of the base. I immediately telephoned the base's public affairs officer, identified myself and explained my purpose. I requested that, if, in fact, we should learn that any deceased were based in Petawawa, some reflection or commentary from the base commander or chaplain would be a big help. I made no requests to speak to a family member -- nor would I for the rest of the day. My attitude is: If a family member wishes to speak to us, they know where to find us or the base PR certainly knows where we are.

Shortly after I arrived the media lockdown was lifted and DND issued a release to say that four CF members had died. But DND was not yet releasing names or units of the deceased. So, on the assumption that they could all be from Shilo just as easily as they could all be from Petawawa, we stayed put at the front gate. DND, as many in this forum will be aware, does not release names and units until the family of the deceased says they should.

Around 4 pm, DND officially released the names of MELLISH and NOLAN.

At that point, I and a cameraman proceeded to the Military Family Resources Centre. There, I went in alone and spoke to the centre's manager, Frances Priest. I introduced myself to her, told her the purpose of my visit, and asked if she would agree to talk to us to  describe the kind of day it had been on the base. I explained to her the context in which her remarks would be presented in my news item. She first consulted with base command and agreed to be interviewed. She asked that I not ask her about certain subjects and I agreed.  Not until she had agreed to be interviewed did I invite my cameraman into the facililty. In fact, he and our gear stayed in our unmarked vehicle for the 20 minutes or so it took until Frances could receive the all-clear to do this interview.

As soon as the interview was completed, I received a call from base public affairs that the rear party CO of the RCR would make himself available for media questions and that I would be called when the commander was available. So, as we were finished with, my cameraman and I promptly returned to the front gate to wait for further instructions from base PR. An hour or so later, base PR telephoned us to invite us back on to the base and accompanied us to a briefing room where Major Peter Scott delivered a statement and answered a few questions.

THe link to the results of this day is here: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060902/nato_casualties_060903/20060903?hub=CTVNewsAt11 [look on the right-hand side under video and click on 'David Akin reports from CFB Petawawa']

I'm pretty confident that the base public affairs officer (Capt. Spurr), Major Scott, and Ms. Priest would agree that I and my crew conducted ourselves in a professional respectful manner. 'Course, no one lights up a bulletin board when reporters do their jobs that way, do they?  ;) And, it's my observation, that the vast majority of my colleagues in the Parliamentary Press Gallery would conduct themselves in a similar manner.

Ok, -- pile on ...

Cheers --

DavidAkin said:

I'm a TV reporter ...

Not by me.  I'm anything but a fan of journalists but I recognize that you have a job to do, even if it is just filling in the white spaces between the adverts.

I think you did things the right way.  Maybe a few of your friends colleagues will copy that down and make it SOP.

Well David

I don't see anything there to pile on.  If only all were conducting themselves with the same high standards and ethics.

DavidAkin said:

I'm a TV reporter [see the profile for details]. Just as I wouldn't presume that one CF member's behaviours and attitudes are typical of all CF members, I trust you'll recognize that all journalists behave and act in different ways. Here's my story.

I was assigned to Petawawa yesterday.

I left Ottawa at 11 am.  At that time, the base in Kandahar is under lockdown.  All my colleague there could tell us before his communications were disconnected was that it was "big". As he is forbidden to provide any other details, we put two and two together at this end and assume 'big' means that some CF members may have been hurt or killed. As we know that the casualties would likely come from Petawawa or Shio, my network dispatched reporters to both bases.

I arrived at Petawawa shortly after 1 pm. My crew and I parked outside the main gate of the base. I immediately telephoned the base's public affairs officer, identified myself and explained my purpose. I requested that, if, in fact, we should learn that any deceased were based in Petawawa, some reflection or commentary from the base commander or chaplain would be a big help. I made no requests to speak to a family member -- nor would I for the rest of the day. My attitude is: If a family member wishes to speak to us, they know where to find us or the base PR certainly knows where we are.

Shortly after I arrived the media lockdown was lifted and DND issued a release to say that four CF members had died. But DND was not yet releasing names or units of the deceased. So, on the assumption that they could all be from Shilo just as easily as they could all be from Petawawa, we stayed put at the front gate. DND, as many in this forum will be aware, does not release names and units until the family of the deceased says they should.

Around 4 pm, DND officially released the names of MELLISH and NOLAN.

At that point, I and a cameraman proceeded to the Military Family Resources Centre. There, I went in alone and spoke to the centre's manager, Frances Priest. I introduced myself to her, told her the purpose of my visit, and asked if she would agree to talk to us to  describe the kind of day it had been on the base. I explained to her the context in which her remarks would be presented in my news item. She first consulted with base command and agreed to be interviewed. She asked that I not ask her about certain subjects and I agreed.  Not until she had agreed to be interviewed did I invite my cameraman into the facililty. In fact, he and our gear stayed in our unmarked vehicle for the 20 minutes or so it took until Frances could receive the all-clear to do this interview.

As soon as the interview was completed, I received a call from base public affairs that the rear party CO of the RCR would make himself available for media questions and that I would be called when the commander was available. So, as we were finished with, my cameraman and I promptly returned to the front gate to wait for further instructions from base PR. An hour or so later, base PR telephoned us to invite us back on to the base and accompanied us to a briefing room where Major Peter Scott delivered a statement and answered a few questions.

THe link to the results of this day is here: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060902/nato_casualties_060903/20060903?hub=CTVNewsAt11 [look on the right-hand side under video and click on 'David Akin reports from CFB Petawawa']

I'm pretty confident that the base public affairs officer (Capt. Spurr), Major Scott, and Ms. Priest would agree that I and my crew conducted ourselves in a professional respectful manner. 'Course, no one lights up a bulletin board when reporters do their jobs that way, do they?  ;) And, it's my observation, that the vast majority of my colleagues in the Parliamentary Press Gallery would conduct themselves in a similar manner.

Ok, -- pile on ...

Cheers --

Sounds like you did your job with respect and compassion. what I can't stand is when microphones are shoved in the faces of people who have just received bad news and they are asked "how do you feel?" Or political questions about whether they think the mission is "worth it."
People who have just received bad news and are in the anger or denial phase of grieving are going to say things they might regret saying later once they've had some time to collect themselves.
I think all we're asking for is respect and dignity....it sounds like you did that yesterday....thanks  :cdn:

Why pile on? You are a professional, you performed your job in a professional manner, and to boot, you are man enough to come on here and state so. Good on you, and  thank you.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with good sensitive reporting. We may not agree with the subject sometimes, but that's allowed.

Mr Akin,

Good on you for coming openly to this site and describing your methods and (by to an extent) your motivation.  None could take offence at your actions that day.

You sure you should put that in print, dude? Won't you get in trouble with your union or something? I mean, showing respect, following rules, being professional...

Well done. How come so many of your counterparts can't seem to grasp any of that?

Well done on being forthright. You're quite the rarity. We've had several come on here without the balls to state their occupation. Many simply lurk, hoping to get something they can use in a headline. Others actively fish for info in a deceitful manner.

David,

Welcome to Army.ca! I hope you can use this site constructively...

I won't waste any bandwidth repeating what the others have said as I agree with them all.

Cheers, hope you enjoy the site and continue to contribute positively.

DavidAkin said:
Around 4 pm, DND officially released the names of Warrant Officer MELLISH and Warrant Officer NOLAN.

I assume you mistakenly forgot their ranks, which certainly would have been more appropriate IMHO, so as a friendly gesture, I added that into a the quote.

MRM

David - welcome, from a previous life ;) 

Just curious about how much you can say re: material posted to news sites where you work and editing - is it like print, where you submit, an editor at some point makes the final decision re:  what gets posted (for length), or do you generally get everything you print up?  In the past, I've seen situations where a reporter may have included information in his/her version that provides another side of the story, but doesn't end up online.

Looking forward to some education & discussion from someone in the biz willing to share...

From a different perspective, I can relate this - a local news channel came out to film a piece on my family. They had my wife, daughter and I answer questions (separately) on-camera. They filmed well over an hour. The piece that ended up on TV was 1:15 ( one minute and 15 seconds)

Mud recce Man - You realize of course, that all of your future posts are fair game, for people to "edit", if they feel that you have made an oversight. Turnabout is fair play....

muskrat89 said:
Mud recce Man - You realize of course, that all of your future posts are fair game, for people to "edit", if they feel that you have made an oversight. Turnabout is air play....

For sure.  It was meant as a...hint?  I am assuming you don't think I was necessarily wrong, and I had thought I wasn't out of my lane or rude in the way I put it, given the title of this thread. 

MRM

Back