• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal Court Mounting Reimbursement after Release?

rotrhed

Reaction score
I recently retired after 22+ years and no longer have access to the CANFORGENs to do some digging for the answer to my question.

Six months after my 22-year mark, but after my release, I received the bar to my CD.  I intend to have my full-size and minis remounted to encorporate the bar.  I know the minis are not eligible for reimbursement but the full-size are.  Does anyone know what the current CF/VAC policy is for former members and reimbursement?  Will the CF/VAC cover costs for remounting of an award earned while still on the clock, or am I SOL?  If so, how does one raise a claim?
Thanks.

Someone smarter than me may have a more complete answer, but you may be eligible for reimbursement. The full size only... minis on your dime. I seem to recall there was a message about medals earned while serving but received after release.

Keep in mind that the requirement to court mount medals is a CF Dress Regulation and is not a general requirement for the wearing of orders, decorations and medals.  In other words, the only reason the CF will pay to court mount them is because the CF wants them worn that way on your uniform.  Once you no longer wear a uniform, then I would think that the CF is no longer concerned.  The wearing of loose-mounted (swing-mounted) medals is still acceptable outside the CF.  I suspect that no reimbursement is available, but will wait until I have a chance to review the appropriate policies before making a definitive statement.

If anyone has a moment to give them a read, I believe 122/00 and 127/00 are the applicable CANFORGENs.

Thanks.

bigzoomie said:

UNCLASSIFIED
CANFORGEN 122/00 ADMHRMIL 072 251300Z OCT 00

THE OPERATIONAL TEMPO OF THE LAST DECADE HAS RESULTED IN CF MEMBERS BEING AWARDED MEDALS AT AN ACCELERATED RATE AND FREQUENCY. TO ENHANCE APPEARANCE AND MILITARY BEARING MEMBERS HAVE UNDERTAKEN, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, COURT MOUNTING OF AWARDED MEDALS

I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, CURRENT SERVING MEMBERS OF THE CF WILL NO LONGER BE REQUIRED TO PAY FOR COURT MOUNTING MEDALS

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO RETROACTIVITY WITH THIS NEW ENTITLEMENT AND IT DOES NOT APPLY TO MINIATURE MEDALS

ON AWARD OF A NEW MEDAL, MEMBERS WILL COMPLETE A LOCALLY PRODUCED PROFORMA NAMED THE CF MEDAL ENTITLEMENT RECORD, WHICH WILL BE SIGNED BY THE MEMBERS COMMANDING OFFICER AND THEN PASSED TO THE NEAREST BASE SUPPLY UNIT WHICH WILL TAKE ACTION FOR COURT MOUNTING

ADM (MAT) WILL ISSUE SEPARATE IMPLEMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS

UNCLASSIFIED
CANFORGEN 127/00 ADM(MAT) 008 031505Z NOV 00

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 122/00 ADMHRMIL 072 251300Z OCT OO
B. DMMD 046 270829Z OCT 00 (NOTAL)

REF A  ADVISED THE NEW POLICY ON COURT MOUNTING OF MEDALS AT PUBLIC EXPENSE. REF B WAS SENT TO BASE SUPPLYS TO PROVIDE INITIAL INFO ON IMPLEMENTATION OF THIS POLICY. THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO UPDATE THE POLICY

THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IS PROVIDED ON THIS MATTER

THE EFFECTIVE IMPLEMENTATION DATE IS AMENDED TO READ 29 SEP 00, VICE 25 OCT 00

THE MEMBERS HAVE THE OPTION OF CHOOSING THE MEANS OF HAVING MEDALS COURT MOUNTED, E.G. GETTING THE WORK DONE THEMSELVES AND CLAIMING REIMBURSEMENT VIA A CF 52 GENERAL ALLOWANCE CLAIM OR HAVING THE WORK DONE THRU BASE SUPPLY, WHO WILL ACTION VIA LPO OR WHATEVER MEANS PROVIDES THE BEST ECONOMIES. A LOCALLY PRODUCED PROFORMA, CALLED THE CF MEDAL ENTITLEMENT RECORD, AVAILABLE AT BASE SUPPLY OR THE DMMD WEB SITE, IS TO BE USED TO CONTROL/TRACK THESE EXPENDITURES

MEMBERS CLAIMING VIA CF 52 WILL BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM OF 8 DOLLARS PER MEDAL FOR REIMBURSEMENT UNLESS EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES EXIST AND ARE APPROVED BY THE REIMBURSEMENT AUTHORITY

THE FUNDING ISSUE REMAINS TO BE FINALIZED BUT AT PRESENT IT IS INTENDED TO TRANSFER FUNDS FROM ADM (MAT) NP BUDGET TO AFFECTED LEVEL ONE ADVISORS BASED ON ESTIMATES PROVIDED BY ADM HR (MIL)

THIS IS A COORDINATED ADM (MAT)/ADM HR (MIL) MESSAGE

bigzoomie said:
If anyone has a moment to give them a read, I believe 122/00 and 127/00 are the applicable CANFORGENs.

Thanks.

Key phrase from 122/00 (emphasis added):

I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, CURRENT SERVING MEMBERS OF THE CF WILL NO LONGER BE REQUIRED TO PAY FOR COURT MOUNTING MEDALS

And after that in 2004...

CANFORGEN 087/04 ADMHRMIL 043 211947Z JUN 04
COURT MOUNTING OF MEDALS AT PUBLIC EXPENSE FOR RETIRED MEMBERS
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS. : A. CANFORGEN 122/00 ADM HR MIL 072 251300Z OCT 00
B. CANFORGEN 127/00 ADM (MAT) 008 031505Z NOV 00
C. NDCDC MEETING MINUTES 7 NOV 2003

REF A ADVISED THE NEW POLICY ON COURT MOUNTING OF MEDALS AT PUBLIC EXPENSE. REF B PROVIDED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO SUBJECT POLICY. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROVIDE A UPDATE TO THE POLICY

DUE TO VARIOUS REASONS, CANADIAN FORCES MEDALS OR DECORATIONS THAT ARE NORMALLY RECEIVED WHILE THE MEMBERS ARE SERVING, ARE OFTEN RECEIVED AFTER THE MEMBERS ARE RETIRED

THEREFORE THE NATIONAL DEFENCE CLOTHING AND DRESS COMMITTEE (NDCDC) AT REF C, HAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED THAT RETIRED MEMBERS OF THE CF WHO HAVE BEEN AWARDED MEDALS OR DECORATIONS WHILE SERVING , BUT WERE RECEIVED AFTER RETIREMENT CAN HAVE THEIR MEDALS/DECORATIONS COURT MOUNTED AT PUBLIC EXPENSE EFFECTIVE 29 SEPT 00 IAW REF B

FOR RETIRED MEMBERS THAT HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR THE COURT MOUNTING OF THEIR MEDALS/DECORATIONS, PROOF (RECEIPT) WILL BE REQUIRE FOR REIMBURSEMENT. ALL OTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR COURT MOUNTING OF MEDALS/DECORATIONS AT PUBLIC EXPENSE ALREADY IN PLACE REMAIN UNCHANGED

THIS IS A COORDINATED ADM(MAT)/ADM (HR) MIL MESSAGE

Wiser's Clap for 211RadOp!  Thanks for digging that one up!    :salute:

So that's clearly the policy, but it doesn't really spell out the 'how'.  I guess I'll give the AdminO at my last unit a ring and see if it's as simple as raising a CF52 with a copy of the receipt and this CANFORGEN attached as ref.

A quick follow up for anyone that's following this thread.

I called my last unit SOR and the Chief Clerk asked a few questions on my behalf.  The Cashier at the closest support base is very familiar with this kind of situation and has reimbursed court mounting costs for members who have been out as long as 2 years.  All that's required is a receipt and a signature to raise the CF52 and my unit will take care of it for me.  Easy as that.

Back