• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medak Pocket (info, documentaries, etc. - merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose you can tell by my name that i was also therelet me know what you want to know and we will chat. :salute:

I do believe that a new member here at army.ca was also present at the battle and he would from what I understand be the only gunner present. Pm him if you want, his handle is billyray.

Cheers :salute:

Can anyone show me the link to the previous Medak discussion boards?  I tried a search and all i got were references back to this book review...

(edit - thanks bruce)

Just made up a super-thread of all the small "pockets" here and there.....enjoy.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/64.0.html

As an 'investigator' who worked in the Balkans long after Medak, there was ample evidence that all three sides had units that were involved in ethnic cleansing and war crimes. 

Ref the documents published by Serbs and/or Croat sources, after the war ended in 1995 all three sides were actively 're-creating history' to make themselves appear innocent and the others guilty (yes, including the Muslim Bosniacs).  Special departments were created on all three sides to create documentation and testimy that would reinforce their claims of their innocence and others wrongdoing.

Its called 'disinformation' and 'propoganda'; people forget that the inhabitants of this area of the world learned their craft over the past 50 years from experts: the Russians, the Nazis and the extremist Muslim factions. 

It is made worse by the fact that once information gets into the electronic information systems those who are unaware of whats going on, or who dont have first or second hand knowledge of events, dont know what to believe and are easily led down the wrong path.

I was in the medak , I was lead wagon once we crossed the start line by the Serb Bgd HQ in Medak and I have read every propaganda article that Croatia has written that I could find. The fact is this the  proof of their ethnic cleansing was carried out by the Bn and the UN . Theres pictures , VHS tapes written statemants from dozens of men we dont have it together enough to create that many false statements. They are claiming that its false only to salvage their ass cause they want into the EU and the EU wont have anything to do with them because of War crimes conducted by their forces in the Medak in Sep of 93. End of their LIES! Read Ghost of the Medak its very well written ! And it shows the truth of the Croats assault and Ethnic cleansing and of the Canadian problems with certain personnell!

BILLYRAY was there, we were in the same Company.  :salute:

Matt say hello to Steve for me and any of those other C-Coy reprobates you run into! ;D

Cheers
Noneck

if it was taken in the Medac by someone in Charlie company, I'm going to say Mike Obrien. Last I heard he was with recruiting in Toronto area. Bill Gomm didnt get out to a lot of these little comany parties. I worked with him quite a bit.

Seriously, try finding Mike, I'm betting he isthe guy.

I'm going to modify your title a bit, to draw in the 2VP dudes. Maybe that'll get you better results.

Is the  big blond guy in the picture Woodie (Garnet Woodford) ? I remember this position as my section was co-located in this field with elements of Delta Coy and TOW, it was one big mud bog.

We were the Charlie Coy Section that rolled in with our blue rocket porta potty strapped to the roof of our track ;D. If I can find the pic I am going to post it!

Cheers
Noneck

I've got nothing pertinent to add - just that it's an awesome looking pic - I can see why you'd want a better quality one. ;-)

If it's any help, I was in DCoy HQ during that tour....Each platoon in the coy had an unofficial photographer...He would hand his pics to the coy 2IC who would then pick and choose from the lot that he was given and use these for the SANDBAG(the tour book).  I know this because, the 2IC took alot from me.  It's been a long time so I forget who the photographer was for 10 pl...Although it's a little out of focus, it is a good pic of some down time the troops had during a stressful time for the Bn in general..

hey ray i have more pictures of the game, i am not sure who took them but it was with my camera, send me your email address and i will forward all of them to you - good to hear from you - isnt it scary what you find about yourself when you google your own name - this is the only wayi came across this sight - woody

Hey there,

Reviving this old thread to say that I was able to pick a copy of Ghosts of Medk Pocket up for 5.99 at Chapters yesterday.  Its on the discount rack now and it is a good read so if you haven't read it yet its a good price now.

I was in D Coy and I am intrested to see if 54hawken and I were in the same vehicle. I was in the first M113 to cross the line in Sept after C Coy had engaged the Croats.

noneck, I was in a section with a BILLYRAY from BC. Same person I guess??

54 Hawken is on the cover of "Tested Mettle".  He was the sect comd involved in the heaviest fighting in the Pocket.  That ought to be enough for you to figure out if you two were in the same track.  He doesn't hang out here much, but you might try PM'ing him.  He's CSM of the 3PPCLI Para Coy these days.

Just an observation and maybe a bit of highjack but. I can't figure out if it is the water or training but the past couple of posts have been great in view of opsec/persec. You have all managed to figure out who is who without an internet broadcast such as found in the "Any 1 CER here" thread and a couple of others. Again from purely an observation point it has been both interesting and enjoyable to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back