• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Med Tech v. Infantry v. Armour v. ???

HTFUAlberta

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok gang here it goes....

I am hoping to become a NCM reservist in Edmonton. I have wanted to be a part of the CF since I was old enough to remember and have finally gotten around to putting my name in. I have a dilemma however...

I am currently employed as a firefighter/EMT and am seriously considering becoming a med tech. I feel that I may be able to bring my skill set as a civilian and have it help me in my CF career and I really do enjoy working in Emergency Medical Services. I want to be able to make my current career count for something in the CF and I feel that Med Tech may be the best trade for me.

With this being said I have done my research and it seems that the majority of a med tech's time is spent in garrison..... I really enjoy the variability of working civilian EMS as well as the opportunity to apply myself in an emergency setting as opposed to the clinical one. If I am stuck in a building or room for 10 hours a day and not outside or working out I get a bit squirrelly....

I don't want to be stuck counting supplies, doing paperwork and watching other trades going out in the field..... To put it simply I do not want to sign up as a med tech and then get stuck in a clinic assisting someone as opposed to being out in the field. What is the chance of Med Tech's being sent out with infantry/engineer/armour? Ideally I would would be happiest if I could be a med tech attached to an infantry unit. I understand that it may be a long process and I am willing to put my time in but what are the chances of that happening as opposed to doing sick parade day in day out? If that's the case I would much prefer either  infantry or armour. I intend on stopping in on a parade night and fully doing my research but if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated (I'm looking for an independent third party as opposed to a recruiter)...

All the best and stay safe.

Cheers 

HTFUAlberta said:
What is the chance of Med Tech's being sent out with infantry/engineer/armour?

Some discussion of that here.

Topic: "Medical Technician's and the Combat Arms":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104288.0

Marion Mike,

Many thanks for the direction on here... As a newby on the forum this place takes on the looks of a labarynth! I look forward to starting on this new career path (if accepted). Next time I'm in Toronto I owe you a beer!  :cdn:

Regards, HTFUAlberta

HTFUAlberta said:
Marion Mike,

Many thanks for the direction on here... As a newby on the forum this place takes on the looks of a labarynth! I look forward to starting on this new career path (if accepted). Next time I'm in Toronto I owe you a beer!  :cdn:

Regards, HTFUAlberta

If you want to have some fun, next time you plan to visit the city let me know and I will try to arrange a ride-out for you as an Observer from an allied agency. You won't have to wear your uniform or do any lifting.

Mike, I know he capitalized EMT but he put FIREFIGHTER first ;D I doubt he wants to see yet another blood box finding yet another Timmies during yet another patient transfer. Naw, he'll want fire contacts in other cities :nod:

I may, or may not, be a tad biased.

HTFU,

My advice would be to go visit the local units. Talk about your experiences and see what they have to say.

Scott said:
Mike, I know he capitalized EMT but he put FIREFIGHTER first ;D I doubt he wants to see yet another blood box finding yet another Timmies during yet another patient transfer. Naw, he'll want fire contacts in other cities :nod:

I may, or may not, be a tad biased.

Scott, he would not be doing transfers.

The Ontario government introduced legislation in 2000 requiring hospitals to forego the use of ambulances and EMS to move patients between hospitals or long-term care facilities if the patient was in stable condition.

Scott said:
HTFU,

My advice would be to go visit the local units. Talk about your experiences and see what they have to say.

:goodpost:

Thanks guys!
I e-mailed my recruiter and I'll be stopping by to check everything out and meet what could hopefully be my new team mates.

Marion Mike you have a deal! And Scott it's good to see the humour coming out on here. I love integrated services because when we're working both Fire and EMS we have only the cops to bug! Take care and be safe out there guys.

Cheers, HTFU :cheers:

HTFUAlberta said:
Thanks guys!
I e-mailed my recruiter and I'll be stopping by to check everything out and meet what could hopefully be my new team mates.

Marion Mike you have a deal! And Scott it's good to see the humour coming out on here. I love integrated services because when we're working both Fire and EMS we have only the cops to bug! Take care and be safe out there guys.

Cheers, HTFU :cheers:

Funny, you don't come off as retarded ;D

Back