• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Med Tech in demand?

ReadyandWilling

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

I am just curious about the need for medtechs rights now. I am a PCP level 1 already. I am wondering if med techs are in demand right now?

Also, I know after BMQ and SQ (or whatever they are calling it now) my 3's are in Bordon. But do I have to re do my PCP in BC? Or do I just get posted out and do my OJT?

Thanks ,

Good day,

The Forces are hiring medical technicians this year. http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

For qualifications already obtained: should you apply and make it through the the initial process, you can request that a prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR) be conducted on your current credentials.

Depending on the results of the PLAR, you may be exempt from some of the phase training.

Hello,

For this job, do the interview and the medical exam can be done by April 1 or only after this date ?

Good day skip123,

Once an applicant submits their online application the recruiting center processing their application will inform them of all the required dates to attend their local recruiting center for processing.

Hello Master Corporal Steven,

I am in the process of applying to be a med tech as well (I've written my CFAT and I'm waiting for an interview. I've been accepted to a PCP program with an Ontario college for September 2015. I have no interest in civilian work as a paramedic; if I attended this program, it would only be to make me more desirable to the Canadian Forces. I don't know whether having my PCP would substantially increase my chances of being hired, however; my understanding is that nothing but my CFAT score goes into deciding whether or not I get an interview, and even then, what matters is not my CFAT score compared to every other med tech applicant in the country, but only compared to every other med tech applicant at my recruiting centre. I therefore have to wonder if going to college for my PCP is worth the investment. It does not seem that it would help me with the Canadian Forces. Would you be able and willing to comment on this?

Thanks in advance.

Good day MacCairnie,

The PCP course is the required education for the Smi-Skilled entry plan for the Medical Tech occupation. It also requires that you worked at least 3 months in the past 12 months as a Primary Care Paramedic in an emergency medical service. However that being said if you are a new graduate then no minimum experience is required. Having this education may grant you some basic Med Tech qualifications/courses.

For the unskilled entry plan the required education is a high school diploma (Sec V Que) or GED with an academic profile to include Grade 12 Biology, Grade 12 Chemistry or Phisics, and Grade 11 math. The information that would be gained from a civilian PCP course from a Canadian college is obtained throughout the training to become a Med Tech.

For the subsidized education entry plan (NCM-STEP) you must be unconditionally accepted, or be currently enrolled as a full time student in a Primary Care Paramedic program at a post-secondary institution approved by the CAF. That being said the Med Tech occupation is currently open for the unskilled entry plan only.

For more information on the Med Tech occupation and Paid Education entry plans visit our website at the following link.

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/medicaltechnician-70   

Thank you for that information; it was helpful. Am I correct in believing that my CFAT score is the only factor in whether I get an interview for my desired trade, and that any qualifications or experience that I have are completely irrelevant to whether I get one? The process by which I'm evaluated isn't very transparent to me.

Good day MacCairnie,

This section is for persons who have questions about joining the Canadian Armed Forces, occupations, different enrolment programs, and prerequisites. Much of the information can be found at Forces.ca, or the Recruiting FAQ and wiki section of this site. Before you ask a question, you should be searching the forum or the Forces.ca website for these answers.

We will not answer questions about technical difficulties with the application process, or the website. We will not answer questions about difficulties contacting your recruiting centre or general inquires with regards to your current application or file. These questions can be asked here: http://forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

Back