• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MCpl Jeffrey Scott Walsh 2VP

244txg9.jpg

Thanks for that Quag. My condolances to your Unit for this latest loss.

Vern

R.I.P Mcpl Jeffrey Scott Walsh  :salute: My condolences to all who knew him.

I didn't know him for long, and after our JLC we went our separate ways, but I will always remember him as a really nice guy.  The PPCLI, the RCR previous, and the CF in general have lost a good man.

Stand Easy MCpl Walsh.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1155120846470&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Soldier dies in shooting mishap
Six more injured in Afghanistan auto accident
Aug. 9, 2006. 05:38 PM
TERRY PEDWELL
CANADIAN PRESS

A Canadian soldier who arrived for duty in Afghanistan just six days ago has died tragically in what appears to have been an accidental discharge of a firearm by another Canadian.
Master Cpl. Jeffrey Scott Walsh was shot today while learning the ropes during a patrol west of Kandahar.

Walsh was with the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Shilo, Man.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement today, saying he was “deeply saddened” to learn of the soldier’s death.

He said Walsh “put service to country before self, and his sacrifice will not be forgotten.”

“On behalf of Canadians, I extend my sincere sympathy to the family, friends and loved ones of Master Cpl. Walsh, and am hopeful that they find strength in knowing that our nation mourns at their side.”

While conducting patrols, Canadian soldiers normally have their firearms on safety. It’s not clear how the firearm was discharged.

“No further details are available at this time regarding the exact circumstances surrounding this incident,” said Lt.-Col. Brian Irwin, the chief of staff to the Canadian Forces’ National Command Element.

“Task Force Afghanistan’s National Investigation Service detachment is investigating this matter.”

Irwin refused to confirm that Walsh was shot by another Canadian soldier, although military sources said that was the case.

“There is an ongoing investigation (which) is going to get to the bottom of all of the circumstances surrounding this tragic accident,” he said.

“At this time, it’s still too early to pronounce that.”

The soldiers involved in the incident later came under attack at a forward operating base in the area, and were bombarded by mortars, although military officials said the two incidents were unrelated.

“Enemy action has been ruled out,” Irwin said, referring to Walsh’s death.

Canadian soldiers go through rigorous training to ensure that accidental shootings are minimized or even eliminated, if possible, Irwin stressed.

However, there is always a small risk of a mishap, he added.

“Our soldiers have come here with absolutely the best training that they could possibly receive. They are in theatre with the best possible weapons and equipment,” Irwin said.

“In a theatre like this, though, there is always a small margin for error.”

“Regrettably in this incident, certainly there appears that there was an accident and . . . that margin of error may have been crossed.”

In an earlier incident, six soldiers were injured when their Nyala armoured vehicle slammed into a truck, about 30 kilometres south of Kandahar.

The vehicle was part of a convoy that was heading to Spin Boldak on the Pakistan border about 7:30 a.m. local time.

Two of the soldiers were being treated in hospital for more serious non-life threatening injuries while the four others were treated and released from hospital.

None of their names are being released.

Since 2002, when Canada first entered Afghanistan, 25 soldiers have lost their lives, along with one diplomat.

Six Canadian soldiers have died in southern Afghanistan during the past seven days alone.

On Saturday, Master Cpl. Raymond Arndt of the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, died after a large truck collided head-on with the G-Wagon utility vehicle he was in as part of a convoy, about 35 kilometres southeast of Kandahar.

Last Thursday, four soldiers — Pte. Kevin Dallaire, Sgt. Vaughn Ingram, Cpl. Bryce Keller and Cpl. Christopher Reid — died during fighting with Taliban forces west of Kandahar, very near where Walsh was shot Wednesday.

The deaths have had an impact on troop morale, Irwin acknowledged, although he added that Canada’s soldiers remain behind the Afghan mission.

“Without a doubt, losing a soldier is something that we all take to heart,” said Irwin.

“A tragic loss affects us all. (But) the soldiers are committed and understand the necessity of this mission they’ve undertaken.”

Canada has roughly 2,200 soldiers involved in operations designed to bring security and stability to southern Afghanistan.

Tragic as it is, and no doubt a huge loss for Mcpl Walsh's family........let's not forget the individual who had the apparent negligent discharge..........hopefully he will be receiving the help he needs right now!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Mcpl Walsh!!!!!!!!

Very saddened by this news. To the family, regiment and friends of MCpl Walsh my heartfelt condolences. Another very sad day for PPCLI and Canada.

Back