• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

May 5th BMOQ

Well I can pass on the info I have.
I'm DEO and they said they cancelled the extra courses for the may 5 bmoq...
Also, they cut the one course to something like 16 slots
What they're doing with me (and others from what I gather) is getting us on the Reg roster for may 5th, and then putting us to work until the august course.
Not sure what this busy work involves, but it involves some distance learning, some PT, and probably just exposure to the CF culture in general.
It's some kind of new program they initiated this year.
From my understanding, May 5th is full and there will not be any more slots opening up.
Don't quote me on this, its 2nd hand at best.
Also, I started a thread for those who know they have been bumped to the august 08 BMOQ, just so we can get an idea of who all is going.

MPS said:
Also, I started a thread for those who know they have been bumped to the august 08 BMOQ, just so we can get an idea of who all is going.

Where?

If I read this thread properly, the May BMOQ might have just shifted in tempo from a bunch of 30-40 years old DEOs to all 18-20 year old ROTPs with a few of us old fart DEOs thrown in. . .

Guess I will have to work extra hard on the running  :)

KenJacobson said:
The May course was cut from 64 to 16. Lucky for me I'm one of the 16 :D

So what does that mean for those who have been told they will be on the August course (and those of us still hoping to get on it)? Will it now be filled with OCdts from the May course? I wonder if the people in charge of the decision-making will consider having extra serials in August - even if that means moving to other locations?

KMJAB said:
If I read this thread properly, the May BMOQ might have just shifted in tempo from a bunch of 30-40 years old DEOs to all 18-20 year old ROTPs with a few of us old fart DEOs thrown in. . .

I know for a fact girl in ROTP got recoursed last summer at IAP in my platoon and will be taking that course so it does sound like a mix.

KMJAB said:

Well, please add another old fart...
BMOQ in St. Jean on May 5
Name: Chouinard
Position: MARS Officer
Entry Plan: CEOTP

See you then.

I have been taken off the May course too. I guess the upside to this is I'll have more time to get in better shape.

Good luck to the sixteen that are going this May.  :)

Thank you all for your replies. The system works!  ;) I've left messages at my CFRC, but no response as of yet. Having been sworn in only on 27 March, I don't see how I would be part of this BMOQ. I'm sure the army will tell me what I need to know when I need to know it. Good luck to those confirmed members!

Name: Dunlap

Entry: DEO (ARTY)

Well it looks like I won't be on BMOQ this summer everyone. Due to the logistics taking too long to sort out here in Vancouver, it seems I'll be waiting until next summer.

Congratulations getting in as a Legal Officer! I hear that they are not in high demand right now.

Just got the word from my Recruiting Centre: While I wasn't expecting it, I have been kept on for this BMOQ. See you all in St. Jean!

Anyone going to BMOQ been told to expect SLT afterward? There is another thread in the issue, but I would like to hear from anyone on May 05 course who may have received instructions on SLT. See everyone on May 3 - ish.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/72929/post-700685/topicseen.html#new

By the way, I get in to Montreal Trudeau airport around 10h00 on May 3. Anyone else getting in that early from this course? According to the joining instructions, someone will start to organise us at 14h00 for the 15h00 bus to St Jean. The way I figure things, that leaves 4h plus to kill. If possible, it might as well be spent getting to know coursemates!

KMJAB said:
Anyone going to BMOQ been told to expect SLT afterward? There is another thread in the issue, but I would like to hear from anyone on May 05 course who may have received instructions on SLT. See everyone on May 3 - ish.

I was told that according to recent changes, SLT is only required (immediately at any rate) where your first language is not that of your MOC. For example for AEC the international language of air traffic control is English, so you would only need SLT if your first language was French. As my first language is English, and I'm and AEC, I was told I would not require immediate SLT. I was told however, I would be required to take the course if I ever wanted to proceed past the rank of Major.

The course that graduated 14 Dec, had only the following go to SLT,  Public Affairs (not CFR'd), and Pilots (All entry/production plans) for what its worth.

Made it through aircrew and everything, so I'm now joining the BMOQ May 5th as well.

Surname: Clark

Anyone going should check out this CF production called "Basic Up." It's basically a reality show about BMQ but much of it still applies.
See you guys there.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/English/podcast/basicup_001.mp4

Just replace the 001 with numbers 002-009 for the whole thing.

Don't forget to bring a silver dollar with you too.
It's an OLD Royal Canadian Air Force tradition, where newly commissioned Officers give a silver dollar to the first NCM to salute them.. google it, you'll see.

KenJacobson said:
Don't forget to bring a silver dollar with you too.
It's an OLD Royal Canadian Air Force tradition, where newly commissioned Officers give a silver dollar to the first NCM to salute them.. google it, you'll see.

Really? I can only find stuff on the US Army and whatnot. Good thing I have an extensive coin collection to draw from.

True, google does find a bunch of links referencing the US Army/Navy, but my father in-law (retired Chief Warrant Officer) assures me it is as much a Canadian tradition as an American one. He said the tradition is so old that the person I give the dollar to in all likelihood will have no idea why I'm giving it to him/her. There's some info on milnet about it too search for "Silver Dollar Tradition".

Back