• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MARS Officer

Leo791989

Inactive
Reaction score
Any Current or former MARS officers here. I am interested in this MOC and would like to know few things about this trade.
Thank You

I am not a MARS officer, but I have taught parts of MARS courses ashore, been a part of far too many MARS courses at sea, and have always had a MARS officer as a boss.  I might not be able to answer anything exactly specific, but I can still answer alot that you might have.  As well, there are (too many  ;D) MARS-bars on the site, so post your questions, and they will get answered.

Anyhow I've gotta lot of info on this trade in regards to training,life as a MARS officer, working conditions,duties,hours etc etc.
But what I wanted to know was the initial process. I applied for Air Force Pilot and there were things like Cycloplegic Eye Exam, Air Crew Selection etc which you had to go through before getting an offer. Is there any sort of test(s) or exam(s) for MARS MOC.

Navymich
thanks for your prompt reply. Yeah I just wanted to know about the intitial processes to get an offer for MARS officer, as mentioned above in my previous post.

Leo791989 said:
Is there any sort of test(s) or exam(s) for MARS MOC.

No, just a few extra questions that you have to answer at CFRC: do you sink or float, do you know your port (left) from starboard (right), can you master a blank stare, and can you say "aye aye Captain" without too much disdain in your voice?

Seriously though, I don't know the answer for sure, to what you are asking.  If that was the only question you had regarding the MARS trade, this thread might actually be better suited for the Recruiting board.

Leo791989 said:
Navymich
thanks for your prompt reply. Yeah I just wanted to know about the intitial processes to get an offer for MARS officer, as mentioned above in my previous post.

You will first receive an invitation to go sit a NOAB.  (Naval Officer Assesment Board).  At the board, which is usually five days, you will be introduced to the Navy, through (usually) a Lt. (N) and a PO.  They will give you tours of the base you're at (either Esquimalt or Halifax) you'll go on a day sail, and you WILL do some testing.  Nothing you can prepare for, nor anything I can discuss, just be yourself, know your grade 10 math, and enjoy your time.  On the Friday, you will sit the actual board.  You will be in an interview with several senior officers (for me it was 2 Commanders and a Lt. Commander).  Those three will then deliberate over your file, taking in to account your original application, your behaviour at the NOAB, test scores, interview answers, etc.

If they think you MAY have what it takes, they will offer you a position.  If they don't, it's nothing personal.  MARS is not for everyone.  Keep in mind, MARS has one of the highest failure rates for an MOC in the Canadian Forces.  Like all MOC's, it is extremely demanding.  If you are not 100% behind your choice, rethink your decision.

That's it in a nutshell.  If you make it through basic and out to Esquimalt for SLT, congrats.  Prepare to work and study your ass off for the next 5 years.  (And I'm serious about that...  SLT and NETP-O (MARS 2) are relatively easy, but watching the people going through MARS III and IV is pretty damned scary.  If you're not prepared to put in a full work day and six hours of studying every night after that, re-evaluate what you're looking for.

If you're still interested, by all means apply.  MARS (In my totally limited, biased experience) is the best MOC out there.  Mind you, you're in the Navy, and we all know that the Navy rules all.  Three cheers for the senior service!  ;)  Good luck.

T

You don't have to go through this board if you are going the ROTP route. I have been accepted as MARS but I'm afraid that I won't be able to answer your questions as I have not done any training yet.

andpro said:
You don't have to go through this board if you are going the ROTP route. I have been accepted as MARS but I'm afraid that I won't be able to answer your questions as I have not done any training yet.

You actually might be one of the better ones to answer his question, as you are recent through the process.  If you read again, you'll see that his questions weren't about the training aspect:
But what I wanted to know was the initial process. I applied for Air Force Pilot and there were things like Cycloplegic Eye Exam, Air Crew Selection etc which you had to go through before getting an offer. Is there any sort of test(s) or exam(s) for MARS MOC.

navymich said:
You actually might be one of the better ones to answer his question, as you are recent through the process.  If you read again, you'll see that his questions weren't about the training aspect:
My mistake. The process for me was like any other applicant applying for any trades that don't require any extra testing. I can't speak for any other entry plan but through my experience in ROTP I have not had to sit a NOAB or have been told about a NOAB.
Hope this helps

You don't have to go through this board if you are going the ROTP route.

Are you sure of that? Don't worry you will go sooner or later.

I have never been told that I have to sit a board and it doesn't say anything about it on th recruiting site. I could be wrong, I may yet be in for a surprise.

Why would they accept me before I sat said board? They don't accept pilots before aircrew selection.
Edit: any MARS officers who went the ROTP route want to give their 2 cents go ahead.

andpro said:
Why would they accept me before I sat said board? They don't accept pilots before aircrew selection.
Edit: any MARS officers who went the ROTP route want to give their 2 cents go ahead.

It is called a time issue as most NOABs are not held in the ROTP season and if you don't pass NOAB you will be reassigned to another occupation.

They don't accept pilots before aircrew selection.

Oh yes they do.

Thanks a lot for all the answers guys. I appreciate that.
With my experience, I knew a guy at ACS in Trenton that was offered Pilot MOC before doing his Air Crew Selection. So, Iam sure it is possible to get a conditional offer as a MARS officer with a future condition that you WILL pass the NOABs.
Anyhow with all the answers in this post and with my personal experience I conclude that I should follow the normal/regular process of applying as a ROTP MARS Officer and go from there.
So, after all this my question is what do I need to do to make my initial application competitive enough to be considered for future NOABs or even a conditional offer(pending NOABs) for ROTP MARS.
Also, what kinda question/answers can I expect during my interview at the RECRUITING CENTRE. The reason I want to know is that interview will be debriefed/discussed again at NOABs..(i could be wrong).
Also, current or past MARS officers if you could shed some light on what needs to be done(things that are in my control) to be accepted at NOABs..I thought I'd ask this now cos it all co-relates.

Thanks again.

Sorry another quick bit of info. The reason I asked questions about interview etc cos in my Pilot interview I was asked why I wanted to be a pilot and of course my answer couldn't be something where I just woke up and wanted to be a pilot. Plus I am sure with my MARS interview at the CFRC, my previous application(for pilot) might/might not be discussed or looked at?????
Thanks

You might want to start with proper grammar and spelling, and ensure that how you type and post does not spill into your spoken words:

Leo791989 said:
...Also, what kinda kind of question/answers ...I thought I'd ask this now cos because it all co-relates...
Leo791989 said:
...cos because in my Pilot interview ...

The Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) is intended for candidates potentially coming into MARS and Naval Technical Officer (NTO) classifications who either already have a degree (Direct Entry Officers - DEOs) or don't have a degree yet (Continuing Education Officer Training Programme - CEOTP).  If you join as ROTP, either military college or civilian university, you don't do an NOAB.

The NOAB is a really good process, because as much as it's the Navy looking at and evaluating you, you get to look at and evaluate the Navy, so that hopefully if you do get an offer you can make a more informed decision.

Once you're in you'd undergo basic training in St. Jean, second language training (SLT) for 33 weeks in HMC Dockyard in Esquimalt (unless you're already bilingual), and then a bit less than a year's worth of dedicated MARS training at VENTURE, The Naval Officers Training Centre in Esquimalt, before joining the Fleet, either west or east coast.

I hope that's of some help.

Phrontis said:
The Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) is intended for candidates potentially coming into MARS and Naval Technical Officer (NTO) classifications who either already have a degree (Direct Entry Officers - DEOs) or don't have a degree yet (Continuing Education Officer Training Programme - CEOTP).  If you join as ROTP, either military college or civilian university, you don't do an NOAB.
This is what I thought but I wasn't completely sure.

Leo791989 said:
Sorry another quick bit of info. The reason I asked questions about interview etc cos in my Pilot interview I was asked why I wanted to be a pilot and of course my answer couldn't be something where I just woke up and wanted to be a pilot. Plus I am sure with my MARS interview at the CFRC, my previous application(for pilot) might/might not be discussed or looked at?????
Thanks
When you do your interview at the CFRC it is for all of the choices on the application, they ask you about each MOC and all kinds of different questions. They give you the MOC that they have the requirement for, it would also depend on how you did on the air crew selection.

Phrontis said:

The NOAB is a really good process, because as much as it's the Navy looking at and evaluating you, you get to look at and evaluate the Navy, so that hopefully if you do get an offer you can make a more informed decision.

Once you're in you'd undergo basic training in St. Jean, second language training (SLT) for 33 weeks in HMC Dockyard in Esquimalt (unless you're already bilingual), and then a bit less than a year's worth of dedicated MARS training at VENTURE, The Naval Officers Training Centre in Esquimalt, before joining the Fleet, either west or east coast.

I hope that's of some help.

Deleted because I have better things to do.

Back