• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MARS being renamed?

We had our bronze, silver and gold. Equally made fun of.

View attachment 70786

happy mad GIF by South Park

We had our bronze, silver and gold. Equally made fun of.

View attachment 70786
This is actually a qual badge that all/most other Navies have, we were the outlier as far as Navies go.

Lol, like the army didn't invent this sort of thing. Jump wings, pathfinder, special operations qualification.

BWK is a qualification that anyone in the CAF could get if they were allowed the opportunity, though it is required by NWOs as part of their career progression their OFP is based on their NOPQ board, not their BWK. I know Engineers, Logisticians, and at least two NCMs who have their BWK qualifications. ORO and CO however is just following along with the other navies by the looks of things.

I won't be suggesting it (though I did make a joke earlier).
BWK is one of those quals where experiences vary widely. In that sense it's kind of like the Jump Wings.

Did you do 5 jumps and get awarded wings or are you a super secret squirrel with 300 HALO jumps.

Did you get your BWK only sailing around the Gulf Islands or did you get it in the Straits of Malacca?

People are going to gripe about this like everything else. Just another example of how CAF Culture is often times, a gigantic pecker measuring contest 🤣

What does that say about us as a profession?

This reminds me of what was going on when the executive curl came out; we had some funding issues on some things (like fuel and parts) so even though they are totally separate line items, it was a bad look.

We are hemorrhaging techs and the ships are falling apart, and the RCN kicks out shitty moustache badges for NWOs. They aren't even cool looking; at least the training group people have a giant octopus on theirs. (and sure, other people can get the BWKs, but come on... it's just a pre-requisite for other qualifications).

It's not like there was ever a real question on ship about who was qualified for BWK etc, so this was a solution looking for a problem.

Maybe they should have been really innovative and issued them as NFTs!

Just seems incredibly out of touch, but that's the RCN for you.

This reminds me of what was going on when the executive curl came out; we had some funding issues on some things (like fuel and parts) so even though they are totally separate line items, it was a bad look.

We are hemorrhaging techs and the ships are falling apart, and the RCN kicks out shitty moustache badges for NWOs. They aren't even cool looking; at least the training group people have a giant octopus on theirs. (and sure, other people can get the BWKs, but come on... it's just a pre-requisite for other qualifications).

It's not like there was ever a real question on ship about who was qualified for BWK etc, so this was a solution looking for a problem.

I heard rumors' it was a vanity project for the outgoing CRCN.
Should have left well enough alone.

I mean the alternative is they start paying us more because Watchkeeping Certs civvy side pay beaucoup de $$$$ especially trigger time on the larger ships.

This seems like a cheap compromise 😉
There we're obsessed with measuring peckers ?
Hahaha pretty much! But the measuring is based on stupid metrics.

This is actually a qual badge that all/most other Navies have, we were the outlier as far as Navies go.
Do theirs’ look like the matching top lip accoutrement to a hipster’s man-bun with a Great Lakes steamer humping a huge anchor?

Edited to add: At least aircrew went straight to gold…
1652735502215.gif

I heard rumors' it was a vanity project for the outgoing CRCN.
Should have left well enough alone.
Between this and the Golden Snitch BoA monument here in Ottawa I can't help but feel that someone keeps choosing the token 'third option' the designers throw in to meet the quota, but put zero effort into it and just put in some ugly POS option thinking no one would ever choose it.

Kind of like the MARTECH trade structure; it was the option the RN already tried, abandoned and specifically recommended we stay away from, and to keep an HT equivalent!

I don't care about the concept as much as the poor execution. If it looked cool I wouldn't really care but this is a set of black rim glasses away from being a novelty disguise. I mean, really, what the hell is this thing? It's an aesthetic failure, and almost like someone was laughing at how ugly the boarding party badge was, and this was a 'hold my beer' challenge. I couldn't have trolled the NWOs this hard on purpose if I tried!

It's too bad; the various quals do legitimately require a fair bit of work and none of them (used to be?) gimmes, but this was the best they could come up with. So many options to do something genuinely cool looking, and they came up with this....

Between this and the Golden Snitch BoA monument here in Ottawa I can't help but feel that someone keeps choosing the token 'third option' the designers throw in to meet the quota, but put zero effort into it and just put in some ugly POS option thinking no one would ever choose it.

Kind of like the MARTECH trade structure; it was the option the RN already tried, abandoned and specifically recommended we stay away from, and to keep an HT equivalent!

I don't care about the concept as much as the poor execution. If it looked cool I wouldn't really care but this is a set of black rim glasses away from being a novelty disguise. I mean, really, what the hell is this thing? It's an aesthetic failure, and almost like someone was laughing at how ugly the boarding party badge was, and this was a 'hold my beer' challenge. I couldn't have trolled the NWOs this hard on purpose if I tried!

It's too bad; the various quals do legitimately require a fair bit of work and none of them (used to be?) gimmes, but this was the best they could come up with. So many options to do something genuinely cool looking, and they came up with this....
The highlighted bit reminds me of a story that circulated in the 1960s - and, I was assured by someone who, I think, knew the inside details it was substantially true:

In the early-mid 1960s then Defence Minister Paul T Hellyer and his senior advisors went to Washington. The Pentagon had already heard about our plans to "unify" the armed forces and heartily approved. Unification - back then, anyway - had a specific meaning: to create a joint staff in HQ and fully joint commands. EUCOM and PACOM were and still are good examples of joint commands. Each has Navy, Army and Air components but they serve together under a single, joint, HQ and no one's nose gets too far out of joint when EUCOM is commanded by an admiral or PACOM by a USAF general.

Integration also had a very specific meaning. The Americans called in purple suiting and they had tried it, with a remarkable lack of success, in a couple of areas: telecommunications being one where one might have thought it would work well. There is, still, a US Transportation Command but after some unsuccessful attempts at integrating different services the command now has several single service components. The US Defense Information Systems Agency also exists as an integrated organization with a fully integrated HQ but, after some failed attempts in the 1960s, most 'units' are single service.

Apparently the 1960s Pentagon folks said: "Unification is good and necessary but integration is too difficult and, usually, unnecessary and the savings are illusory.

Canada has a history of trying to do things that have already failed elsewhere.

Fitness levels ?

No. It was the (really stupid) Warrior program MGen Vernon invented for the Reserves. It was a sort of IBTS focused test to be completed annually with Bronze, Silver and Gold badges awarded.

What a tremendous waste that all was...

Except that now you can buy them on E-Bay!

No. It was the (really stupid) Warrior program MGen Vernon invented for the Reserves. It was a sort of IBTS focused test to be completed annually with Bronze, Silver and Gold badges awarded.

What a tremendous waste that all was...

Except that now you can buy them on E-Bay!

I thought it was specifically for the units of Land Force Central Area, and that none of the other Land Force Areas were willing to adopt it?

Back