• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MARS being renamed?

dapaterson said:
Hey!  We always supply properly.  It's just the pesky users/clients who don't want the proper things.

If you were supposed to have size 10 feet we'd have size 10 boots for you.  Since we don't have size 10 boots, obviously, we're not at fault - it's your feet that are defective!

You're right, my foot has been defective ever since I broke it over the last supply guys arse!

Harley Sailor said:
Here I thought the Sub-Surface Officers were the hunters of the dolphin wearers.

Ok, then why isn't there an Above surface in the name? 

For the same reason in the old days, the trades were "weapons surface: and "weapons under."  We draw the line at the surface of the water.

If you ask me they should call it like it is. Either call the MOC:  MFWIC or MFWRIC.
To spell that out, they stand for: Mother-"F-expletive" Who's In Charge or Mother "F-Expletive" Who's Really In Charge (that really would be the Chiefs though)
Ok, so I borrowed this from our neighbours to the south. Three years on exchange will do that to anyone!
;-)

I have submitted an application to the CAF, and recently updated my trade application to MARS.

Completed the MOST test in early Fall. Called my recruiting centre recently and was told that my application was changed to Naval Warfare Officer.

Did not get the chance to ask though if it would be the same job description (promotional info as posted on the Canada.ca website). Would be nice if someone inside can share any info on this in the meantime!

and yeah, waiting sucks... oh well. But I mean this thread started in 2009.. but how do you maintain interest?

Buck_HRA said:
Some updates:

(1) Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface (MARS), MOSID 00207 has changed to Naval Warfare Officer (NWO), still MOSID 00207.  At the moment there is no information on the next selection for this occupation; however there are still plenty of positions that are available.

(2) For the occupation you call "MSEO" - the proper abbreviation is "MS Eng"; I'm only letting you know this so that when you ask questions in the future people know what occupation you're wanting information on (this avoids confusion as the CAF used to have a occupation with the abbreviation "MESO").  MS Eng is closed for the 2017/2018 recruiting year.

General Note:
This is not the thread to put your processing updates: please use the following thread: https://navy.ca/forums/threads/13064.6200.html
The individuals who put their processing updates will have their posts moved.

Thank you

How about NWSO

Naval Warfare Simulations Officer

Going by our procurement process, that may be the future.....

Its good to see that the pace of change moves along so rapidly. eight years to get this one done?

Brihard said:
Someone led the hell out of that change.

That's 8 PERs with the "Leading Change" bullet maxed out!  Gotta spread the work from year to year!  Can't look too good one year and less good the next, you know.

Somewhat Off Topic:  I was at a recruiting drive back in the earlier days of my career, and a MARS officer got up talking to the group of High School students... and he explained it to them that he was basically "The Fighter Pilot of the Sea"....  I nearly busted my gut trying to hold in my laugh.

But how does it translate in French? "Officier de Combat Naval"? That would literally mean "officer who plays Battleship" (the board game).  ;D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
But how does it translate in French? "Officier de Combat Naval"? That would literally mean "officer who plays Battleship" (the board game).  ;D

Appropriate since those might be the only ships the RCN has available in the next few years.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I've already seen the training film 😀

dapaterson said:
Hey!  We always supply properly.  It's just the pesky users/clients who don't want the proper things.

If you were supposed to have size 10 feet we'd have size 10 boots for you.  Since we don't have size 10 boots, obviously, we're not at fault - it's your feet that are defective!

Besides, stores are for storing.  If we were supposed to things away, we'd call them issues.

whitehorse said:
Sailorwest:

Actually in the RCN we were called the "executive branch', there were also 'engineering branch', pilots (back when we had a fleet air arm), paymasters, instructors, padres, medical branch and so forth. Each had its own coloured braid between the rank stripes. The RN later renamed their MARS equivalents Seaman Officers (and I guess later renamed them) but by then the CF had invented the MARS Classification. SO far as I know the MARS name has been around since the 1960s, Surface Warfare Officer (or Submarine Warfare Officers or maybe even Mine Warfare Officers) sounds OK to me, perhaps clearer and easier to understand than MARS to recruits.

In expressing what I did in the navy I also use the generic term Naval Officer to explain what I did to civilians. In fact however all of the above branches were naval officers.

This leads me to ask the question: What will hey call reserve BWKs? Reserve SWO, or just Mine Warfare Officers? Thoughts?

"Distinction cloth" or "lights" was discontinued in 1960.  One of the reasons given was that there were too many officer occupations or branches and they were running out of colours.  Only the medical world retained it until we were all forces into the green uniform, beginning in 1968.  With the introduction of DEU in 1985, the Medical Branch again started wearing distinction cloth.  It might not be a bad idea to reintroduce it for others again...

Back