• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Married but paying for rations while on course.

Langton123

Inactive
Reaction score
I will be paying an extra $540.00 per month while on course for the next six months due to the new rules that take effect on February 1st.  This will create an immediate and serious hardship for my wife and kids and I'll probably end up at Sisup to borrow $2000.00-$2500.00 to pay for this new cost.  I've been sent for training as a civilian and was never required to pay for my own food, does the CF really think that this is a good way to save money?  Does anyone else out there think that this will encourage people to show up and apply themselves while on course (getting people to hang in there for courses is already a problem).

Your clerk musta messed up somewhere.  If you're married, and you're on course, you shouldn't pay rations.

If your'e common law and didn't do your paperwork properly, that's your problem.

If you're on IR THAT is when you pay rations, NOT when your'e on course.  Your clerk either messed up, or you're on IR. 

No mistake, IR is changing on February 1st and I will be docked $270.00 a pay for the next six months.  Separation pay and post living differential are on the way out too.

If he's on course that's not probably not IR, that's most likely TD.

No one here will be able to solve this for you. Go to you chain of command tomorrow to seek clarification and help. You are clearly not the only person at your training establishment that has had to deal with this before.

And Mods, perhaps a move to Military Administration is in order?

jeffb said:
If he's on course that's not IR, that's TD.

No one here will be able to solve this for you. Go to you chain of command tomorrow to seek clarification and help. You are clearly not the only person at your training establishment that has had to deal with this before.

I know that.  We've been through the IR/TD mill a few times in this house, I know the difference.  If he's been marked as IR when it's really a TD, then the clerk musta screwed up.

+1 on the Chain of command.

Welcome to the "new" evolution or should I say, "application" of the regulations.

I was waiting for something like this to come up which is as a direct result of the changes to the "IR" (Separation Expense) poiicy changes which are about to come into effect on 1 Feb.

What is happening here, is the OP is now having to pay for his "Rations", and is losing the SE Allowance and nothing more.....

My best guess based on the limited info is.....graduated from CFLRS and then posted "Prohibited" to the training location for QL3 training.  So they will NOT pay for Quarters but will definitely have to pay for Rations and will no longer receive the extra Separation Allowance benefit that they are accustomed to.

Does someone mind explaining all the new rules coming out. Ive tried reading the Canforgens and the new IR thread, but Ill be damned if I can figure it all out. Ive never been posted, and was only on course for Basic and my DP1, so really have no other experience with any of this.

Maybe a Idiots guide to how the new rules work?

Langton123 said:
No mistake, IR is changing on February 1st and ...
IR is not changing - Separation Expense is changing.  This is a pedantic but significant difference. Pers on IR receive SE and so they will be affected along with a number of other groups (like new untrained pers who are prohibited posted to a trg establisemt and married service couples posted apart).

I think there is going to be a lot of hair pulling in the next few months as a " double standard " appears.

There are already instances where pers have remustered and sent on course TD , and others who have severed ties with their former units but are restricted posting.  ( courses over 6 months in length)  This will make a big difference in terms of who will be paying for rations next month and who wont. Even though both members are on the same course ( and in one case in particular, roommates ! )

technophile said:
I think there is going to be a lot of hair pulling in the next few months as a " double standard " appears.

There are already instances where pers have remustered and sent on course TD , and others who have severed ties with their former units but are restricted posting.  ( courses over 6 months in length)  This will make a big difference in terms of who will be paying for rations next month and who wont. Even though both members are on the same course ( and in one case in particular, roommates ! )

I have seen this scenario happen before.  The TA/MA was given some subtle advice and suddenly, everyone on course was Attach Posted.  lol

Langton123 said:
No mistake, IR is changing on February 1st and I will be docked $270.00 a pay for the next six months.  Separation pay and post living differential are on the way out too.

The CF has released nothing about PLD going away. 

jeffb said:
If he's on course that's not probably not IR, that's most likely TD.

Unless by IR the OP means posted prohibited while attending initial occupation/classification trg. 

Sniper round.

I'm in the same boat, as well.  However, I have been in constant contact with my POs and have been told that they are trying to contact the people who organize the BTL to get myself and another member at my unit switched to TD or Attach Posted so that we don't have to pay for our rations until our course is completed.  But when I checked into it with the clerks, they told me to go to my POs and tell them to check out CANFORGEN 159(12).  I haven't looked into it yet, but it'll be on my list of things to do today, I'm sure.

Guess it's just a waiting game until all of this gets sorted out, but I am sure there will be countless hours of stress put into this topic from all angles.

NavyHopeful said:
I'm in the same boat, as well.  However, I have been in constant contact with my POs and have been told that they are trying to contact the people who organize the BTL to get myself and another member at my unit switched to TD or Attach Posted so that we don't have to pay for our rations until our course is completed.  But when I checked into it with the clerks, they told me to go to my POs and tell them to check out CANFORGEN 159(12).  I haven't looked into it yet, but it'll be on my list of things to do today, I'm sure.

Guess it's just a waiting game until all of this gets sorted out, but I am sure there will be countless hours of stress put into this topic from all angles.

It is probably these two paragraphs (4 and 5) of CANFORGEN 159/12 that the clerks are referring to (and also what your POs seem to be doing):

IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT PERSONNEL PROCEEDING ON SHORT TERM ASSIGNMENTS OR TRAINING OF LESS THAN ONE YEAR THAT REQUIRE TEMPORARY GEOGRAPHIC RELOCATION CANNOT REASONABLY BE EXPECTED TO UPROOT THEIR FAMILIES. THE CF HAS AT ITS DISPOSAL A NUMBER OF ASSIGNMENT POLICIES (ATTACHED POSTING, TEMPORARY DUTY) THAT WILL ENSURE THAT THESE PERSONNEL ARE PROVIDED WITH APPROPRIATE SUPPORT DURING THESE SHORT TERM RELOCATIONS AND THAT FAMILIES ARE NOT SUBJECTED TO UNDUE ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL PRESSURE. SPECIFICALLY, PERSONNEL ON SHORT TERM ASSIGNMENTS MAY BE ATTACH POSTED AND THEREFORE ELIGIBLE TO BENEFITS UNDER REF B. ALONG THESE LINES, CAREER MANAGEMENT AUTHORITIES, IN CONCERT WITH FORCE GENERATORS, WILL EXPLORE INNOVATIVE METHODS TO MINIMIZE THE EFFECTS OF THE SE CHANGES BY REMAINING VIGILANT FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO REDUCE THE DEMAND FOR PERSONNEL TO BE SEPARATED FROM THEIR FAMILIES FOR PROTRACTED PERIODS

IN ADDITION, STEPS WILL BE TAKEN TO ENSURE THAT RECENTLY ENROLLED PERSONNEL ARE MANAGED WHILE ON THE BTL AS TO ENSURE THAT THEY ARE NOT SUBJECTED TO UNEXPECTED FINANCIAL HARDSHIP, PARTICULARLY WHEN TRAINING NECESSITATES THAT THEY PROCEED UNACCOMPANIED. THIS MAY ALSO INCLUDE ATTACH POSTINGS AND TEMPORARY DUTY BENEFITS AS PER REF B

So some units are doing it while others aren't. well isn't that just super.
Since when does it even sound like a good idea to charge married members - in training - upwards of 500/month for food? When they already pay that at home. Maybe they have 3 kids and they pay more. Now, you have a member with 3 kids, a wife, a huge grocery bill and a secondary all ranks mess bill.

Pte bloggins at training facility A has to pay 540/month in rations
while
Pte blogette at training facility B pays nothing

If they aren't going to charge, and they damn well shouldn't, charge nobody!

I am heading to CFLRS in two days. I just received notice from my recruiting centre that effective right now, all married and commonlaw members at CFLRS are required to pay for rations. They are exempt only from lodging.

This is going to hit the family budget hard :-S

Rations rate is $524.66 a month. My whole family only spends $450 a month.

Back