• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

Were any of the "Zombies" (my dad always called them that) in the RCN? And that they couldn't be deployed to the European Theater? Was there conscription to the RCN?

While some "NRMA" men did wind up in the RCN, they didn't start there. The way compulsory military service worked was that all conscripts went to army training. If they didn't volunteer to be 'active' (i.e., eligible for overseas service) they had no choice in further assignment (what little choice or possibility of request there was for a soldier); once their training was completed they were posted to "home defence" units. Even well before the point was reached that conscripts 'had' to be posted overseas, a significant number of Zombies volunteered for the active Army, RCAF or RCN (apparently greater numbers preferring blue uniforms). Those who volunteered for the RCAF or RCN could be released from the Army to await the start date of their navy or air force training.

The manpower needs of the RCN was most simply stated in a post-war historical report. Manpower problems of the Royal Canadian Navy during the Second World War, 1939-1945

. . . Unlike the Army- and R.C.A.F., the navy was never seriously troubled by lack of recruits. . . .

While some "NRMA" men did wind up in the RCN, they didn't start there. The way compulsory military service worked was that all conscripts went to army training. If they didn't volunteer to be 'active' (i.e., eligible for overseas service) they had no choice in further assignment (what little choice or possibility of request there was for a soldier); once their training was completed they were posted to "home defence" units. Even well before the point was reached that conscripts 'had' to be posted overseas, a significant number of Zombies volunteered for the active Army, RCAF or RCN (apparently greater numbers preferring blue uniforms). Those who volunteered for the RCAF or RCN could be released from the Army to await the start date of their navy or air force training.

The manpower needs of the RCN was most simply stated in a post-war historical report. Manpower problems of the Royal Canadian Navy during the Second World War, 1939-1945
Thank you. Learn stuff everyday.

The reason I asked about the RCN in BC because my dad always told me BC is where all the Zombies when during the war. But by volunteering for the RCN after your conscripted army training you are in effect volunteering for where ever they post you even overseas or most likely on an Atlantic convoy duty etc?

So is ice strengthening a "need" with the new MCDV replacement with the arrival of the AOPs?
Yes
Helps with the narrative of not needing any sort of sub that can operate year-around in the Arctic by saying, 'look we've got these AOPS and these new MCDV's and all 'X' of them are 'ice strengthen' so they can operate in the Arctic for a number of months of the year.

From twitter, a presentation at CANSEC regarding a proposed MCDV replacement by VARD.
That is what I pictured it would look like. I think they are reading the room correctly. I wish it had more info.

But then anyone can do CAD drawing.

Question where does the MCDV replacement fall in NSS? Under a 1000 tons or is it a major ship and over so Seaspan, Ivrings, Davie?

This one just had Heddle and not Davie in the release.

That is what I pictured it would look like. I think they are reading the room correctly. I wish it had more info.

But then anyone can do CAD drawing.

Question where does the MCDV replacement fall in NSS? Under a 1000 tons or is it a major ship and over so Seaspan, Ivrings, Davie?

This one just had Heddle and not Davie in the release.
I would say, based on everything I’ve read on this thread and others, that the replacement vessel will likely be somewhat longer and larger overall. With the MCDV already bumping up against the 1000 tonne mark, I’d imagine it would be considered a major ship, in that context. Though, with Heddle involved that may mean Seaspan in some capacity. That’s a possible loophole.

The concept artwork is very similar to the concept artwork and requirements I have seen on the navy side. Longer than the Kingston Class, full sized Rhib, modular payloads, drone capability, 25 knot speed, small caliber gun, ice strengthened, good range etc.

Absolutely, the Kingston Class was always going to operate in conjunction with AOPV in the Arctic, no difference with the replacement.
Ice strengthened, means thicker scantlings and frames. That may impact the desired speed and that may require more HP, which means.........

Ice strengthened, means thicker scantlings and frames. That may impact the desired speed and that may require more HP, which means.........
Depends on the ice class, more than likely similar to what the Kingston Class possesses which is very light.

The concept artwork is very similar to the concept artwork and requirements I have seen on the navy side. Longer than the Kingston Class, full sized Rhib, modular payloads, drone capability, 25 knot speed, small caliber gun, ice strengthened, good range etc.
Having only seen the one side in the concept drawing, I’m imagining that it may have a duplicate RHIB on the other.

I have to say, the artwork does put me in mind of an evolved MCDV. I’m very interested to see her from the stern to see how that platform is arranged what the differentiation (if any) is between the flight deck and sea can storage.

Depends on the ice class, more than likely similar to what the Kingston Class possesses which is very light.
Problem with fast vessels is they sacrifice a lot to get that speed. a lot of those fast patrol boat designs have cracking and warping due to their light construction in order to get those speeds.

Back