• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine wannabe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She chose the phrase because we were watching a Tom Cruise movie together, (where he is a paraplegic war veteran, I forget what the movie was called) when one of the characters mentioned Semper Fi, she asked me if I knew what it meant, I told her what I knew and the very next day, BAM inked in permanent form. I'm just a little weirded out because she doesn't care if she lives by the actual phrase, she just thinks it's cool to have. Anyways, it's her body so I don't care anymore.  :)

Born on the 4th of July. Based on a true story.

Cheers,

Wes

I don't meant to sound judgmental Miss J, but your friend sounds like a complete poser.  I'm not a marine, but if I saw her floating around with that on her arm, I'd grill her so bad on it, her ears would bleed.  It's like wearing a poppy because you think they're stylish.

Junk like that irks the hell out of me, I don't know why.

Bobby Rico said:
I don't meant to sound judgmental Miss J, but your friend sounds like a complete poser.  I'm not a marine, but if I saw her floating around with that on her arm, I'd grill her so bad on it, her ears would bleed.  It's like wearing a poppy because you think they're stylish.

So, every time you see "death Before Dishonour" inked on someone, do you jack them up for not being a member of the 41st Battalion, The Royal New South Wales Regiment?  I would think it would be up to a Marine to grill her til her ears bleed, not you, but that's just me.  You have no dog in that fight, why jump in?
  I saw a real limber stripper once with CHIMO on her arse, never even crossed my mind to crap on her, but it was good for a round of high-fives.

So Kat.... you didn't say - was she friendly?

Bobby Rico said:
Curious, why the Canadian army doesn't have their own special grunt....although I have heard a few Infantry guys use 'Huah!' in the past...though that may have been as a joke.

Because the Canadian Army has traditions based on the British Army.  We do not grunt, groan or moan.

Kat Stevens said:
So, every time you see "death Before Dishonour" inked on someone, do you jack them up for not being a member of the 41st Battalion, The Royal New South Wales Regiment?  I would think it would be up to a Marine to grill her til her ears bleed, not you, but that's just me.  You have no dog in that fight, why jump in?
  I saw a real limber stripper once with CHIMO on her arse, never even crossed my mind to crap on her, but it was good for a round of high-fives.

I look at it the same way as someone who wears the anarchy symbol as a fashion statement, but doesn't actually believe in anarchy or even understands the significance of it.  And believe me, I've jacked enough people for doing that, even though I'm not an anarchist (anymore).  Like I said, I don't really know why I'm like that, but when people wear symbols in the interests of fashion, it really, really bugs me.

I guess it's not what they're wearing that bugs me, just that they're wearing it.  I really don't like poseurs when it gets down to it.  :-\

RangerRay said:
Because the Canadian Army has traditions based on the British Army.  We do not grunt, groan or moan.

Neither do the Australians, and when we hear such, we laugh.

Hey BR, posing is when someone pretends to be someone who did something ( like being a serial liar), not admring a simple motto. Remember Semper Fi is also a CF Unit motto, so I see no big deal, now if some had a USMC tatto a la globe and anchor with Iraq 2006-2007, said they were a former Marine, told war porky-pies, and wore replica medals, well, thats posing, and thats disgusting.

If some silly girl wants the tatt, and gets it, we we all know it does not wash off, she is branded for life, so she's paid for her stupidity.  BTW I have three tatts. Maybe she just likes the motto, no crime in that, and I dont think any marine would go off at her because she is a fan.

Your profile says you are an 'enlisted' PTE. In the CF as OR's we don't enlist, we enrole. Judging by this terminology, you have not been in long have ya. There are more important things to worry about and one day your attitude will get you a bloody nose from the wrong person, former anarchist or naught! You are not the fashion police or the tattoo police either.

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
Neither do the Australians, and when we hear such, we laugh.

Hey BR, posing is when someone pretends to be someone who did something

As was my understanding from the original poster, the person who got the tattoo appeared to do so to be 'mistaken' as a Marine.  That's not a poseur?  I beg to differ.  If the original intent was to get the tattoo as more as a symbol of respect, that would be different----but then, based on the original poster's comments, that doesn't sound like the intent at all.

Anyway Wes, regarding my usage of the term 'enlisted'....if you feel you must criticize my use of terminology when it has nothing really to do with the topic, the private message option is available to you.

Bobby Rico said:

Bobby Rico said:
Anyway Wes, regarding my usage of the term 'enlisted'....if you feel you must criticize my use of terminology when it has nothing really to do with the topic, the private message option is available to you.

I beleive Wes was applying the same standard you were, when you were speaking about the use of the girls "terminology" on her arm.....

Kinda harsh when the shoe is on the other foot, eh?

dileas

tess

Er...okay...?

The difference of course being I am actually 'enrolled' in the Armed Forces as an untrained private.  I guess when they've referred to me as private, it was sarcasm?

Anyway, this is starting to border on argumentative.  I'm going to stop now.

Bobby Rico said:
...  I guess when they've referred to me as private, it was sarcasm?

Possibly - of course, I wasn't there.

Why don't you drop it, Bobby - all the US Marines I've served with are quite capable of taking care of themselves - if they're insulted by someones' tattoo, they'll deal with it - without your help.

geo said:
So Kat.... you didn't say - was she friendly?

Right up until our money was gone, yes. ;D

Bobby Rico said:

Just setting the record straight, and calling a spade a spade.

Wes

and I think this one has run its course. Closed with the usual stipulations.

Army.ca Staff
Ubique

(Note: The above Latin word was used with the full authority of my Regiment, although I am not sure whether the Regiment received permission either from the RA, or the people of Latium, nor the Roman Empire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back