• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Manitoba bus stabbing/ beheading

Those are the ones that we got right.... plenty of others who still profess to have been wrongly convicted.

BTW, it's not like this Li fella is an incorrigible and habitual criminal.
Did he react badly to medications prescribed by his physicial ?
Did he stop using prescribed medicine ? ( he is from Edmonton & was in Winnipeg)

Pefore you call out the lynching party, let's make sure we do it right - it's not like there's a fire or anything

The ones we got right are still breathing air, how is that right? in cases like Bernardo/Homolka there should be no plea bargains, no sympathy and sure as hell no chance to ever to walk freely let alone continue to breath.

The system is broken, it needs to be fixed.  Sympathy and medicine not included.

Snafu-Bar said:
The ones we got right are still breathing air, how is that right? . . .

It is very easy to single out those nationally publicized cases and hold them up as examples for justifying the death penalty.  Not that there should be anything wrong in executing those who will be a continued threat to society.  But how do you determine that the person accused is 100 percent guilty, beyond any shadow of a doubt?  Those responsible for the administration of justice thought that they "got it right" for many such as Steven Truscott, David Milgaard, Guy Paul Morin and Bill Mullins-Johnson (to name a few of the many).  The outcry surrounding the murders in their cases would almost surely have resulted in the death penalty for them (had it been available as it was in Truscott's case).  And it wasn't the 'system' that initiated intervention to reverse its errors.

If there is a bus load of people watching you kill someone, i'd have to say that's pretty F'n 100% guilty if you ask me. No court room needed, just should have put him on the ground and ended it right there on the spot. But now he will get treated like a little kid not knowing right from wrong. Getting pumped full of medication, a nice cozy cell and free food,tv,internet,library and other such comforts he should have no right to after his actions.

But what the hell, Li can cost tax payers for another 40 years while the family tries to cope with thier loss. Status Quo... SNAFU.

NL_engineer said:
If this happened in Texas, he would get to use the Express Line

If this happened in Texas he probabbly would have been shot and killed by someone on the bus and the poor sod getting stabbed might have survived... or at least not had those indignities happen to his body.

Was watching footage on the news.  As i watched the police walk the accused to a squad car I could not help but notice the he had a couple bruises on his face.  I hope he was smacked around a little in custody.

Tommy said:
If this happened in Texas he probabbly would have been shot and killed by someone on the bus and the poor sod getting stabbed might have survived... or at least not had those indignities happen to his body.

If we are going to spend time discussing "what ifs", then we must also state the other possible outcomes of such a situation.  Had there been someone aboard the bus who was armed and tried to take him out surrounded by lots of panicking people in an extremely cramped space such as a greyhound bus, there would been a very good chance of the poor victim still dying, except he would joined in the morgue by a couple of innocent people on board who were trying to escape with their lives.

boot12 said:
If we are going to spend time discussing "what ifs", then we must also state the other possible outcomes of such a situation.  Had there been someone aboard the bus who was armed and tried to take him out surrounded by lots of panicking people in an extremely cramped space such as a greyhound bus, there would been a very good chance of the poor victim still dying, except he would joined in the morgue by a couple of innocent people on board who were trying to escape with their lives.

I take it you don't consider yourself very proficient with a firearm, even at point blank range, if you hold that view. Not everyone that chooses to learn how to use a tool properly is incompetent and inefficient.

topo4u20 said:
My apologies if I took the name the wrong way...but too me the first thing that came to mind was a landed immigrant that was pissed at the government for not allowing a work visa or refugee status and decided to take it out on one of our outstanding citizens.
I feel extremely sad for the victims family especially under the circumstances they way this happened.

Where do, and more importantly WHY do, you people insist on making stuff like this up?  I don't get it.  Dabating his state of mental health, drug use/abuse are all with the left and right of arc's to me but this is just RTFOTL.

Eye In The Sky said:
Where do, and more importantly WHY do, you people insist on making stuff like this up?  I don't get it.  Dabating his state of mental health, drug use/abuse are all with the left and right of arc's to me but this is just RTFOTL.

We're past that and he's been taken to task and made contrition. Let it go and move on.

Snafu-Bar said:
No court room needed, just should have put him on the ground and ended it right there on the spot.

A dangerous idea, no?  Where people can just be judge, jury and executioner?  Remember, in this great country of ours, everyone has the right to "due process" and all those other things we hold near and dear, as laid out in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  Even the POS in question here, is subject to said Charter.

Pandora's Box would be opened if we ok'd "lynch mobs", and how many years, decades or centuries would we, as a society, therefore step back?

What IS missing, IMHO, in our Justice System is the 'follow thru', the sentences that this man will find himself at the receiving end of, once that due process has run its course.  

recceguy said:
We're past that and he's been taken to task and made contrition. Let it go and move on.

Seen.  I am just playing catch-up WRT to this thread from the last few days and replied as I was reading.

Eye In The Sky said:
A dangerous idea, no?  Where people can just be judge, jury and executioner?  Remember, in this great country of ours, everyone has the right to "due process" and all those other things we hold near and dear, as laid out in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  Even the POS in question here, is subject to said Charter.  Pandora's Box would be opened if we ok'd "lynch mobs", and how many years, decades or centuries would we, as a society, therefore step back?  What IS missing, IMHO, in our Justice System is the 'follow thru', the sentences that this man will find himself at the receiving end of, once that due process has run its course.  

Devils advocate here:

The problem with that attitude is that some people dont deserve to stay within society and should be handled 'vigilante-style' immediately.  Most of the country will only remember this criminal act happened and a much lower percentage will actually track the case to find out if the person got their 'just deserts'. 

Along the path of the so-called infallible system of 'due process', this person could be let out on bail and skip town, be released from prosecution on a technicality, be declared insane and therefore not at fault for his actions, all the witnesses could recant their statements due to fear of being the next target, or a judge or jury could be swayed by arguments of bad upbringing/temporary insanity/influence of drugs/abusive upbringing/societal blame/imagined slight/guilty remorse/ etc.

Just as there's a bad side to due process there's also a good side to vigilante justice.  The argument about 'innocent' people being attacked is invalid since innocent people get convicted by due process anyway.  At least everyone knows the offender has been dealt with, and it saves a lot of taxpayer money...

I think a valid argument if I may say so.

I am certainly not a fan of our current system, by any means.  Too much softy-kid-gloves to it.

And perhaps, this case is not a good example for my post as presented, being that multiple people watched this manic off a young man and then behead him.

Too bad the cops couldn't have seen fit to 'discharge their sidearms in self-defence'. 

In the long run, we as society and tax payers will be paying for this culprits upkeep in a rubber room or a max security facility.  He could even get his degree and learn a 2nd language (Karla H, remember?)

Overwatch Downunder said:
Hi Topo, I just thought it was a stupid thing to say, not offended at all.

Happy days,

OWDU

Vince Weiguang Li, 40, who immigrated to Canada from China in 2004,

Nuff Said

MedTechStudent said:
Was watching footage on the news.  As i watched the police walk the accused to a squad car I could not help but notice the he had a couple bruises on his face.  I hope he was smacked around a little in custody.

Wasn't there something in the news about him trying to escape, or get out a window.  Long way down, especially if you land on your head.

Tommy said:

If this had happened in Texas, it could have been the lunatic who had the firearm instead of a knife.  The old "..if other people only had better access to firearms.." is a circular argument in these types of cases.  Unless we could guarantee that this guy wouldn't have had access.

EW said:
If this had happened in Texas, it could have been the lunatic who had the firearm instead of a knife.  The old "..if other people only had better access to firearms.." is a circular argument in these types of cases.  Unless we could guarantee that this guy wouldn't have had access.

Prove it. Until you do, I'll call you an idiot.

EW said:
Wasn't there something in the news about him trying to escape, or get out a window.  Long way down, especially if you land on your head.

He tried to get out the door. He was to stupid to try the emergency window exits.

Back