• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mandatory to live on campus in University?

Shannan said:
hi, I have a question about the ROTP and this discussion is the closest to being related. We've been trying to find information for my sister about how long of a commitment is required after graduating from university. The recruitment officers we have talked to say it works out to nine years and when we ask if that includes school time they say no, that's after graduation. But they also say it's two months commitment for every one month they subsidize...which works out to about 5 years; and the site, and a quote from this message board say that ROTP grads are required to do 5 years of service post graduation....so is it five years or nine??? and why is it impossible to find a concrete answer?? thanks guys!
Well, things may have changed but I owe 5 years (now 4 years) obligatory service for my education. Best bet, ask for clarity on this from the recruiting centre.

2 months for every month subsidized, so you go to school from September to April, that's 8 months.  You do that for 4 years, that's 64 months, or 5 years and 4 months. 

Different program may have different requirements (ie: ROTP at Western for aviation college)

Trade doesn't have anything to do with it, your trade will affect your contract (and your VIE), which is a different thing altogether.

SupersonicMax said:
Trade doesn't have anything to do with it, your trade will affect your contract (and your VIE), which is a different thing altogether.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear to the asker of the question about the difference of those two things, I think that is where he or she is confused between the 9 years and the 5 years.

thanks guys. okay, so if you have a trade you owe nine years?? I asked the recruiting office and they keep telling me nine years, or 2 months for every month....which doesn't add up LOL. so now is it nine years for nursing and 5 for something else?? so confusing....

9 years.  4 years for studies, 5 years for obligatory service.  The Math does work.

that's what I said! but the recruiters kept telling me it was nine years AFTER graduation; thanks!

Shannan said:
that's what I said! but the recruiters kept telling me it was nine years AFTER graduation; thanks!

They could be referring to your contract length, not your obligatory service. My contract is 13 years (13 yr VIE) but I only need to serve 5 years oblig. service after graduation.

When I joined, I had to serve 5 years after the 4 of school.... SO I signed a 9 year contract..... My brother on the other hand, joined two years after me, and he had to sign a 13 year contract.

murrdawg said:
When I joined, I had to serve 5 years after the 4 of school.... SO I signed a 9 year contract..... My brother on the other hand, joined two years after me, and he had to sign a 13 year contract.

I was told I had two options:

4 years schooling and 5 years of service - I would not get severance pay nor moving expenses back to my "home" location at end of service

4 years schooling and 9 years service - Severance pay and moving expenses are paid at end of service

I'm sure there are more benefits between the two, but this is what I was told on the phone when I received my offer.

murrdawg said:

Again, contract and obligatory service are two things that are not related to each other.  Obligatory service is 2 months for every month subventionned.  Period.

Contract is whatever your VIE is (depends on trade).

Back