• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mandatory service for reserves

Cycophant, you made a good point about small businesses suffering and there are ups and downs regarding reservists going on active duty and protecting their civilian jobs, if you look at the US, from what I‘ve read, some employers don‘t really like hiring reservists for that very reason. However considering how many reservists there are in the US army you can‘t say it‘s really all that bad.

It does really make people think if they truely WANT to be in the reserves though. You‘d get rid of a lot of fluff and casual people from wasting training dollars if they knew they‘d be going on a rotation in 2 or 3 years time.
Of course I want to go on a rotation eventually too but I get enough grief from my employer to get a month off (5000 employees) let alone 6-12 months. Ug.

nULL,
I know quite a few people who, if their job allowed, would take a pay cut for a few weeks to "shovel snow or till over burned earth". Some reservists do "it" for more than just the money.

if you look at the US, from what I‘ve read, some employers don‘t really like hiring reservists for that very reason.
I‘ve lived in the US for over 10 years and have seen ZERO evidence of that. I haven‘t seen it at any employer, I haven‘t heard of any Guard member or Reservist experiencing it. If anything, employers seem proud to hire these people.

I worked in the US aswell, and I found many employers used the fact that they had reservists and national guardsmen as a marketing tool. there was a great deal of support for the local armoury (I was in Bellingham, Washington). I believe businesses only gain from supporting part time soldiering.

gate_guard, that‘s not the point I was making. I meant would they want to do it EXCLUSIVELY.

nULL,
Then watch your wording. For a civilian, you seem to have a lot to say about the psychi of a reservist.

O.K folk‘s case in point.

On Sunday my MWO phoned me that the Unit was being called up to fight the fire‘s.

I phoned work informed them as to what was happening and yesterday I got THE phone call,I was supposed to work yesterday P.M. and was relieved of work and now on 24hr notice to move.

My employer recognise‘s I‘m in and give‘s me a fare shake and at time‘s has no choice because I have mentioned in the past I might go to the press!
But we do need legislation!!!

Hello All
This has been interesting so far.... one thought though, with Job Protection Legislation you might!! start getting more experienced, mature and willing reservist volunteers.
Yes!!! the "Family" and the "Mortgage" come into this decision. But you are more likely going to get better, more experienced, more motivated people to join up...The down side of course is making it manditory to go on Roto. Volunteering for Roto will do the same thing. The Cdn Res. are a citizen army because we do that... Volunteer...

If we want an army in which reservists are expected to do a tour 2-3 years after entry, it seems to me that rather what we want is to recruit regulars for a single basic engagement during which they deploy, after which they are CT‘ed to the reserve or released.

When we resort to compelling reservists to be a cheap alternative for constabulary duties in support of foreign affairs objectives which may result from varying degrees of national interest and political manoeuvring, I believe we may lose the reserve.

An interesting topic and one in hot debate in the UK too. The British Armed Forces used a high amount of Reservists for Op TELIC in 2003 and employed compulsory mobilisation to do so. This provides (under the Reserve Forces Act) protection to both employer and employee. For a significant part of the Operation, over 25% of servicemen (and women) were Reservists. That is also reflected in the Balkans (approx 24%). The UK offers an engagement called Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) where an individual can volunteer for an operational tour. This is sometimes seen as a "backdoor" into regular service for a limited period but is mutually convenient. Longer term use of mandatory service is a dual edged weapon; with a high risk of putting people off service. I have had experience of my own soldiers, their families and employers taking surprise to a call up.

It‘s really up to the politicans to show us that they are willing to commit to changing the laws.
I don‘t see that ever happening in the near future.

there is another factor that is forgotten in this debate. of course many reservists are employed by some other employer, but there are also the other half that are business owners. if they were to leave for a roto, if they are the major bread winner, and thier reservist salary would only cover 30% of thier regular income, their family would undergo huge financial hardship during this time. there are a few that are self employed in my unit, i am sure all, if called upon them like any reservist would answer.

however forcing them to go on rotos, may not allow them to make nessesary preparations, or may not be able to make nessesary preparations to make the business ready. an example of such is a lawyer, he is expected to defend his or her clients, many court dates are made far ahead in time. they cannot up and leave, it leaves their clients high and dry, their law office would be closed down for 9 months or severly crippled without them (dont forget the 3 month preparation for the 6 month tour) they could very well go bankrupt( payments, family, office fees) , and it would hurt their number of clients employing them. if it was war they were going to, then it would be acceptable it is part of the job, if it is just a roto they should have a choice wether to go or not.

i think that wether you go overseas or not, each reservist serves thier country in their own way be it training troops, helping at home with crisis, or going on rotos. right now the system is good, unless some legislation is passed protecting employees it in not practical, for university/college students it isnt practical, and for those with their own business, it is just not an luxuary to up and leave. as a reservist you are a volunteer, nothing is stronger than a heart of a volunteer, if they can they will definatly rise to the occasion, otherwise you shouldnt mess with that.

Part of the DAG before leaving includes a visit to the Padre or Social worker where you can address any legal or financial problems. On one part of the form that you must complete to be eligible for deployment there is a question asking if you have any financial or legal reasons for refusing a deployment. Therefore there are at least two instances where someone up the chain will definitely be made aware of any burden made by a mandatory deployment. Believe it or not, the army is not THAT screwed up, they have done this before.

Back