• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Making a choice that benefits all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckied

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is Darin Luckie and this is my first post. Let me begin by stating that I am presently 20 years old and looking forward to joining the CF. I've been thinking about it for almost 2 years now and believe now is the time to make the leap. Unfortunately, many of my friends and family members criticize the decision and (while helpful in their own ways) are deeply discouraging to me. The biggest "problem" I currently have is not related directly to the recruiting process in and of itself. My girlfriend is pregnant and we are expecting the baby in November.

I realize that this is not a father's forum nor is it one tending to the emotional and mental needs of a desperate young father seeking both guidance and direction. I implore whoever is reading this to understand that is neither my intent nor my will. The only question I seek to ask here is from those who may have been once young fathers themselves or currently are:

How do you support your loved ones while trying to do what you beleive to be best?

I REALLY want to join the Regular Forces but am turned off by the very real possibility of going overseas. While I would not mind, I know my girlfriend simply would not allow it. She is very stubborn in her own loving way. I suppose I feel as though if I shoot for the Reserves, maybe I am limiting myself and understimating my capabilities and skills.

Please provide guidance if possible to a young man seeking aid and help.

Best regards,
Darin Luckie

luckied said:
I REALLY want to join the Regular Forces but am turned off by the very real possibility of going overseas. While I would not mind, I know my girlfriend simply would not allow it.

My only advice is either:  1)  Join the Reserves or 2) Look for another career.  Not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

Its sure  is not a easy choice but in the end its only yours to make. Your only twenty maybe wait a year or two that way your around for your son and gives you some time for your wife and yourself to talk about it.

One mans opinion take care. :salute:

PMedMoe said:
My only advice is either:  1)  Join the Reserves or 2) Look for another career.  Not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

There is a third option but i doubt it would be acceptable..........lol

CDN Aviator said:
There is a third option but i doubt it would be acceptable..........lol

Don't worry, I thought about putting that one down too.  ;)

BOYBLUE said:
that way your around for your son

Are you psychic?  ???

Please don't join the regular force if going overseas is something that's unappealing to you. All regular force members are expected to be deployable overseas and if you join and decide you don't want to go, or can't, or whatever reason, it will just shift the burden to someone else who may end up having to go again in your place. As mentioned previously, the reserves may be a better choice for you as it will keep you from going over seas and also introduce you and your family to the military lifestyle without tying you into a contract or moving across the country.

Meh,

Too many threads asking the general membership to be someone's moral judge.

Either keep reading, or go to Chapters.Indigo to look for a self help book on relationships.  Your girlfriend seems to be alright or standing up for her beliefs, stop being persuaded by a wink and wiggle, and stand up or yours.

locked.

dileas

tess

milnet.ca staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back