• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Major Michelle Mendes found dead in KAF - 23 Apr 09

Stoker

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
A Canadian soldier was found dead in her room at Kandahar Airfield on Thursday afternoon.

24/04/2009 4:14:04 AM

CTV.ca News Staff

The soldier has been identified as Maj. Michelle Mendes, 30, based in Ottawa.

In a statement, the military says the incident is under investigation.

"No further details are available at this time, although enemy action has been ruled out."

Officials have not identified the soldier's home unit. They have confirmed Mendes was assigned to Task Force Kandahar, but would not specify what her trade was at headquarters operation, and it's not clear how long she had been serving.

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of our lost comrade. Our primary focus at this time is to provide the best possible support to the family of our soldier and to her colleagues," said the military statement.

"The immediate family of Major Mendes has no comment at this time. They are asking that the media respect their privacy and they will provide a statement in due course."

This latest death brings to 118 the total number of Canadian soldiers who have died during the Afghan mission since it began in 2002.

Condolences to Maj. Mendes' family, colleagues and friends .....  :salute:

CF Statement here:
At approximately 4:00 p.m. Kandahar time, 23 April 2009, a Canadian Forces member was found dead in her accommodation room, at Kandahar Airfield.

Deceased is Major Michelle Mendes, based in Ottawa, Ontario.

An investigation is ongoing to establish the circumstances of this incident. No further details are available at this time, although enemy action has been ruled out.

Our thoughts are with the family and friends of our lost comrade. Our primary focus at this time is to provide the best possible support to the family of our soldier and to her colleagues.

The immediate family of Major Mendes has no comment at this time.  They are asking that the media respect their privacy and they will provide a statement in due course ....

Globe & Mail

Canadian soldier found dead on Afghan base

JESSICA LEEDER

April 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM EDT

Kandahar, Afghanistan — The lifeless body of a female Canadian soldier was found in her Forces' accommodation room Thursday afternoon at Kandahar Air Field.

Throughout the night caution tape blocked entry to the white, two-storey building in a Canadian section of the camp where Major Michelle Mendes' body was found.

Investigators are still working to piece together the circumstances of the 30-year-old's death, meaning few details about the incident or Maj. Mendes herself are being released. However, a military spokesman here did say that "enemy action has been ruled out."
Officials have refused to identify the Ottawa-based soldier's home unit.

Major Michelle Mendes - Photo at link

They have confirmed that in Afghanistan she was assigned to Task Force Kandahar, Canada's headquarters operation. Her specific trade at headquarters has not been publicly specified and it is unclear how long she had been in theatre.

According to public records, this is not Maj. Mendes' first deployment to Afghanistan. She first deployed here in 2006 as a captain with the Ottawa-based 154 Squadron working in intelligence, according to a community newspaper profile published in August of that year.

In that article, published in the Colborne Chronicle, Maj. Mendes' mother, Dianne Knight, explained that her daughter, who graduated with a history degree in 2001 from Kingston's Royal Military College, wanted "an entire career in the army." Originally, Ms. Knight said in the article, her daughter planned to go into the infantry, but opted instead for intelligence.

"I was thrilled," Ms. Knight said. "It's right up her alley. She spends the majority of her time reading and analyzing things, and she's so good at it."

At the time, Ms. Knight said her daughter's outlook regarding the deployment was positive.

"I wouldn't say she's upset about going at all. A lot of her friends have been and come back, and a lot of her friends were going when she was going. She has a very positive attitude," she said.

However, things went quickly awry for Maj. Mendes on that first deployment. In September of 2006 a number of Canadian troops were wounded in a friendly fire incident that capped off one of the country's most bloody and intense operations of the war to date, Operation Medusa. It was during that multi-day battle, which took place in the volatile Panjwayi district, that a platoon of Canadian troops were mistaken as enemy by an American pilot flying an A-10A aircraft. One soldier was killed and more than 30 were injured in the incident.

It is not clear what Maj. Mendes' involvement in that incident was. However, she and about 10 other injured soldiers were returned to Canada for treatment in the second week of September, 2006.

Military officials in Kandahar said that Maj. Mendes' family has asked for privacy and will release a statement in the coming days. The 2006 newspaper profile identified her husband as Victor Mendes, who was at the time a soccer coach at RMC.

RIP ma'am.  :salute:
You have done your duty, now we WILL do ours.

My condolences to the family of Major Mendes.

Bye Mich; I'll miss your laugh...it doesn't seem as irritating now  :'(

Rest in peace

My condolences to the Family, friends & comrades of the Major

At the going down of the sun
and in the morn,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM!

CHIMO!

RIP ma'mm , my condolences go out to all the fellow comrades, friends and family.

My condolences to the Major's friends, families and co-workers.

RIP, Ma'am.

RIP Ma'am, my condolences to all friends and family.  :cdn: :yellow:Ubique

RIP Michelle. Thoughts and prayers to your family, friends and colleagues.  Sad news, indeed.

My sincere condolences to colleagues, friends, and family of Major Mendes. RIP Ma'am.

E Tenebris Lux

Wow, I am stunned, an absolute shock. My most sincere thoughts and condolences are with the family. RIP Major.

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of Major Michelle Mendes

NR–09.029 - April 24, 2009

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan:

"I would like to offer my sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Major Michelle Mendes, who died yesterday in Afghanistan. Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time.

The Canadian Forces continue to make an immense difference in the lives of Afghans while protecting and promoting both Canadian and international security. Despite our grief, we will continue our important mission to bring peace and stability to the people of Afghanistan.

Major Mendes, who was based on Ottawa, was serving in her second tour of duty in Afghanistan. She graduated from the Royal Military College of Canada in 2001. Her hard work and dedication will not be forgotten.”

Back