• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MacKay unhurt in rocket attack on Afghan base

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
MacKay unhurt in rocket attack on Afghan base
Updated Tue. Nov. 6 2007 11:55 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Video Link

Two Taliban rockets struck a forward operating base west of Kandahar Tuesday during a visit by Defence Minister Peter MacKay.

MacKay was conducting private meetings at Forward Operating Base Wilson, about 20 kilometres west of Kandahar city, when the attack occurred.

After the first rocket landed around 11 a.m. local time, Mackay was taken into an armoured vehicle for safety.

"It's a very small base and MacKay was somewhere inside, we don't know exactly how far he was from the impact site," The Globe and Mail's Graeme Smith told CTV Newsnet from Kandahar Air Field.

"He was not hurt and he was choppered away back to Kandahar Air Field shortly afterwards."

About 15 minutes after the first attack, another rocket landed about 50 metres away from passing soldiers and reporters. Four soldiers suffered minor injuries from the second rocket.

"Typically, the Taliban don't have the kind of aiming devices needed to score a very direct hit on a very small target so the Taliban either got very lucky or were very successful today," said Smith.

Smith said it was unclear if the Taliban had any idea about MacKay's visit.

"The defence minister's presence might have been announced by the fact that there were helicopters landing at this small, little base," he said.

Back at Kandahar Air Field, MacKay described the attack to reporters.

"There was an explosion. It was a loud bang," said MacKay. "When it happened, we heard the explosion, we heard the whistle overhead, we were told to get down and we did."

Colonel Stephane Lafaut, commander of the Canadian Operational Mentor Liaison Team, said the attack shows how desperate the Taliban have become since coalition forces have limited their movement in the region.
More on link

I've landed there myself and if they are going on chopper sightings I don't buy it that it was helicopters that tipped the Taliban someone important was there.

GAP said:
[
Updated Tue. Nov. 6 2007 11:55 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff

Colonel Stephane Lafaut, commander of the Canadian Operational Mentor Liaison Team, said the attack shows how desperate the Taliban have become since coalition forces have limited their movement in the region.

Not really sure what the good Colonel meant by that statement.  when did an improvised rocket attack equal being desparate.  The TB have been doing this kind of sporadic rocket attack all along.  Only difference with this one is that it happened during daytime hours.

Likely as soon as they found out that he was over there, they sent word to the various sub units to fire on any base that showed any increase in activity out of the norm in the hopes of hitting him or providing some sort of propaganda event.

So I guess the plan for a fact-finding trip to FOB Wilson for Dawn Black, Michael Byers, Denis Coderre, Taliban Jack Layton and Steven Staples is on hold, right?  :'(

Nah....they're  rotten shots (TB).....so Black and Co. can go......no problem....honest!!

E.R. Campbell said:
So I guess the plan for a fact-finding trip to FOB Wilson for Dawn Black, Michael Byers, Denis Coderre, Taliban Jack Layton and Steven Staples is on hold, right?  :'(

Just until they print up the pamphlets explaining that they are "super-important politicans and leaders" , "please don't tell the Taliban they will be here between such ans such a date at such and such a time"  to hand out to the locals which happen to include the coordinates of their quarters, which happens to be a long ways from everyone elses..... ;D

E.R. Campbell said:

If they were to pay a visit, the Taliban would welcome them with a band and a parade, and make then honorary members. 

Dog Walker said:
If they were to pay a visit, the Taliban would welcome them with a band and a parade, and make then honorary members. 

Until they sat down for tea and they started babbling to their hosts, who I suspect have stronger methods at hand then we do to make them shut up.

Heard an audio clip on the news this evening, definitely was close for comfort, glad all is well. The FOB isn't that big.

Back